Am I the only person who thinks our first pick should be OLB? (1 Viewer)

As long as we improve in the front seven I dont think we can go wrong. We need DT, an edge pass rusher, DE, and olb. I do think Casillias will help when he comes back. But I would not be upset with drafting a athletic olb. Who is on the board and best player avialible will be our pick.

The very fact that you think it should happen means that it almost certainly won't happen. Just don't get your hopes up come draft time and try to keep an open mind whoever they draft. This could go for any year.

Whichever is BPA: DE, DT, or OLB, I'm fine. Most are saying DE or DT because the draft is deeper at those positions, so the 'blue chip OLB players are much less likely to still be on the board by the time we pick. Of course, anything can happen between now and then, so we'll see, but I'll be happy if our #1 is one of those positions (and I'll be decidedly less happy if it's not, no matter who the player is).

The Front Office...

Keep in mind that they tend to bring in a variety of FAs. They basically fill all of the gaps before the draft and then pick the best players for the team. Ellis is the only first rounder they drafted because of a need at that position. I say focus on which FAs we can bring in or keep, then try your luck at the draft once we have made some moves. Of course we have our favorites, like me with Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB out of Purdue, but we don't know how these guys will grade out with our staff.

Saints used to have horrible DB's. Look what they picked in the Draft.
2008 Porter second round
2009 Jenkins 1st round
2010 Robinson 1st round
They have built the D from the back field in. They say BPA at a position of need and that is exactly what they have done.
I see no reason why they wouldn't go BPA in front 7 now. Saints are also very good at bringing players along. Jenkins a year at Nickel then he goes to Safety. Robinson will be solid at Nickel next year and replacement for injuries.
The quality of players drop off at DE pretty quick. They can get a solid DT in FA. There are players that will be an improvement at OLB after the first round.
My guess would be DE first round but would not be surprised if they picked any front 7 player in the first.

If we don't get a serious pass rush with our 4 down linemen, it's not going to matter who we have at OLB.

^This^ x 1,000,000! :9:

Can an OLB make a difference with good pass rushing skills? Yes. But we need some pressure opposite of Will Smith badly!

^This^ x 1,000,000! :9:

Can an OLB make a difference with good pass rushing skills? Yes. But we need some pressure opposite of Will Smith badly!

Woudn't hurt Will Smith to lose about 20 lbs. himself. A lot of the premier pass rushers are in the 265-260 weight range, around what Will was when he came out of college.

its just not true. look at any draft. teams pick players based on the pieces they are missing on their team

the need may be very small, but a player may be too good to pass on. regardless you arent going to pick a player that isnt going to fill a need because you leave that hole on your team there and it starts to become increasingly glaring the longer you hold off on filling it

our needs at DE, LB, and DT are starting to show because we havent addressed them in a timely manner

Meach was an example of the saints taking a receiver when we needed defense. I remember coach P saying he was the highest rated player on our board and that's how we pick.

as long as we use the pick to get someone to help in the front 7 on D then im happy. i desperately want to see some pressure on the QB next season.

I think the current roster OLB's: Cassillas and Dunbar, are better than the current DE's (minus Smith) and the other DT opp Ellis. BPA at those three piece of work's in the 1st rd would not bother me at all, but optimally I would love a pass-rushing DE. Pressure on the qb with just 4 changes EVERYTHING for the defense.

I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for a disappoint come draft time again. I would love for us to improve our front 7 being that it is the weakest part of our team, but it was the same way last year and we only drafted 1 person for that the whole draft, who we ended up cutting. Last year most people thought we would go most, if not all defensive in the draft and we ended up drafting 4/6 offensive players. I believe we don't look as strong on offense as we did last off season, so I expect more offensive players via draft.
lol

you always pick a player you need. otherwise you dont pick him. thats how it works for every team, every year
Not at all. Center, tight end, and QB weren't needs for us last year, but we drafted them anyway.

Woudn't hurt Will Smith to lose about 20 lbs. himself. A lot of the premier pass rushers are in the 265-260 weight range, around what Will was when he came out of college.
Agreed. I saw him at the mall the week before the Monday night game against Atlanta and he looked pretty chubby in person.

Of the top Defensive needs in my eyes linebacker would probably be fourth behind DE, NT, and FS/Cb unless we can find a guy like Justin Houston who can rush the passer.

It would be nice to have a stud linebacker but i think that our inability to stop the run from the nose or show any ability to pressure the qb when necessary are bigger needs. In 3 of our losses we gave up between 130-200 yards rushing. Our entire secondary also becomes unhinged when jenkins is out of the lineup. Ayodele is not disruptive, hargrove was quiet as a mouse in 2010, and alex brown provided no pass rush whatsoever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom