Andrus Peat signs with the Raiders (1 Viewer)

I’m optimistic, we didn’t have a great line last year. New players give us hope for improvement, staying with what we had gave us no reason to be optimistic.
I'll taking healthy and capable over injured staples all day.

Hope I'm wrong but I letting Peat go maybe something this team regrets.....he was arguably the best offensive lineman on the team the last half of the season....makes almost no sense when considering how thin we are at oline.....young players better step up.....and stay healthy.....

I’m optimistic, we didn’t have a great line last year. New players give us hope for improvement, staying with what we had gave us no reason to be optimistic.
Yea I think we were 30th running the ball.

Hope I'm wrong but I letting Peat go maybe something this team regrets.....he was arguably the best offensive lineman on the team the last half of the season....makes almost no sense when considering how thin we are at oline.....young players better step up.....and stay healthy.....
Agreed, I'm especially perplexed given the total uncertainly on the left side of our line. We let Peat walk meanwhile Mike Triplett anticipates we roll out Penning and Nick Salvideri on the left side....wonder how much the Raiders are paying Peat...

Peat had a solid career with us. Definitely some ups and downs, definitely some injury problems. I think the main knock on Peat that fans hold against him was that he was drafted too high and then was over paid with that contract (both things out of his control). If he was like some fifth round pick that had played under a reasonable contract, I don't think he gets heaped with all the scrutiny. I wish we had kept him.

Agreed, I'm especially perplexed given the total uncertainly on the left side of our line. We let Peat walk meanwhile Mike Triplett anticipates we roll out Penning and Nick Salvideri on the left side....wonder how much the Raiders are paying Peat...

Yup, they are taking a lot of risks, especially considering our QB is not the most dynamic, escapable type.....no choice but to see what happens......

The saints fans have dreamed about the day Peat would be gone
and now they would have kept him ...
Weird fanbase

Not this fan, I've always thought Peat was better than most believed.....the only drawback with Peat was the games missed but he was our most experienced and arguably best offensive lineman last season....he was also pretty versatile.....will be interesting to see his contract stips with the Raiders....

Where is the uncertainty when you just named the players taking over?

Where is the uncertainty when you just named the players taking over?
I would say Trever Penning and Nick Salvideri are the very definition of "uncertainty." Penning was benched and not trusted in even jumbo packages last season and Salvideri has 18 career snaps.

Do I hope both turn into all pros? Absolutely, but you can't say we know anything about how either of these guys will play. I mean, McCoy and Ruiz may be the only veteran starters next year. This might be the most uncertain/inexperienced Oline we have had in years.

But I only mentioned Penning/Salvideri going off of Triplett's article. We have NO IDEA who will start on the left side this season. Again, more uncertainty.

Last edited:
I would say Trever Penning and Nick Salvideri are the very definition of "uncertainty." Penning was benched and not trusted in even jumbo packages last season and Salvideri has 18 career snaps.

Do I hope both turn into all pros? Absolutely, but you can't say we know anything about how either of these guys will play. I mean, McCoy and Ruiz may be the only veteran starters next year. This might be the most uncertain/inexperienced Oline we have had in years.

But I only mentioned Penning/Salvideri going off of Triplett's article. We have NO IDEA who will start on the left side this season. Again, more uncertainty.
I agree, but I think that's from our standpoint but I think the Saints are and will constantly be looking to improve the line and like a lot of teams have been piecing together their roster on 1 year deals on capable vets as to not get in a salary cap situation by spending big to fill a need (not panic).

Seems like a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread. Until this season, there wasn't a single Andrus Peat apologist on this forum. So don't act like you saw it all along.

The fact is Peat had his chances early on in his career to claim the LT position, and it did not go well (at all). And we all know his injury history.

It wasn't until this year that he finally demonstrated the ability to play the LT position adequately. But the new regime clearly has a different composite for what it would like at the OT position. Accept it and move on.

Seems like a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread. Until this season, there wasn't a single Andrus Peat apologist on this forum. So don't act like you saw it all along.

The fact is Peat had his chances early on in his career to claim the LT position, and it did not go well (at all). And we all know his injury history.

It wasn't until this year that he finally demonstrated the ability to play the LT position adequately. But the new regime clearly has a different composite for what it would like at the OT position. Accept it and move on.

Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but wasn't Armstead already the starting LT when Peat was drafted which resulted in Peat trying to be a RT, which he failed at, and then a RG, which he failed at, which resulted in him being moved to LG? I don't think he was ever really given a shot at LT until this past year. When he got his shot, he was an average LT. Clearly we want to upgrade but, if he can play the scheme, he would have been a solid depth piece at this point. But, I do think age has caught up with him and he is not as agile as he once was.

And he was mostly a good LG. The problem was he also got injured a lot. It's not what you really want from a #13 pick, but he was still a good LG for several years although injury prone. It was probably time to move on, but I still worry that we don't have anyone behind Penning at LT (other than seeing if Fuaga can switch sides) and Penning is no sure thing. So, even if he wasn't a scheme fit, I would be more confident about the position if I knew we had an average veteran behind Penning. That doesn't have to be Peat, but unless someone shakes loose before the start of the season, there really aren't any options on the free agent market.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom