Andrus Peat signs with the Raiders (2 Viewers)

Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but wasn't Armstead already the starting LT when Peat was drafted which resulted in Peat trying to be a RT, which he failed at, and then a RG, which he failed at, which resulted in him being moved to LG? I don't think he was ever really given a shot at LT until this past year. When he got his shot, he was an average LT. Clearly we want to upgrade but, if he can play the scheme, he would have been a solid depth piece at this point. But, I do think age has caught up with him and he is not as agile as he once was.

And he was mostly a good LG. The problem was he also got injured a lot. It's not what you really want from a #13 pick, but he was still a good LG for several years although injury prone. It was probably time to move on, but I still worry that we don't have anyone behind Penning at LT (other than seeing if Fuaga can switch sides) and Penning is no sure thing. So, even if he wasn't a scheme fit, I would be more confident about the position if I knew we had an average veteran behind Penning. That doesn't have to be Peat, but unless someone shakes loose before the start of the season, there really aren't any options on the free agent market.
Your memory seems more accurate than mine. But I do seem to remember Peat moving over to LT a few times when Armstead would go down (another injury-plagued lineman).

We still needed to sign a staring quality LT anyway

Hurst and Peat now gone and TP can’t be considered an option at this point
1st where are you going to find a quality LT to sign and 2, if we look at the circumstances, there’s no reason to give up on Penning yet. Looks like the team hasn’t either.

Seems like a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread. Until this season, there wasn't a single Andrus Peat apologist on this forum. So don't act like you saw it all along.

The fact is Peat had his chances early on in his career to claim the LT position, and it did not go well (at all). And we all know his injury history.

It wasn't until this year that he finally demonstrated the ability to play the LT position adequately. But the new regime clearly has a different composite for what it would like at the OT position. Accept it and move on.

Not a bit, check my posting history, I've always been a Peat supporter, did I think we overpaid on his 2nd contract? Probably, but truly versatile olineman are fairly rare.....

You seemed to forget that we had Armstead at LT for Peat's initial 7 years in the NFL, Armstead missed some games, Peat generally filled in well at LT when needed and on most teams would likely start at LT (Armstead, when available was a top 3 LT).....Peat was also a pro bowl level G.....when healthy.....

I like most of the personnel moves and the draft thus far but this move is a bit puzzling, we are razor thin at oline right now.....no choice but to accept it, but I believe we have the right to disagree with it all the same.....

Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but wasn't Armstead already the starting LT when Peat was drafted which resulted in Peat trying to be a RT, which he failed at, and then a RG, which he failed at, which resulted in him being moved to LG? I don't think he was ever really given a shot at LT until this past year. When he got his shot, he was an average LT. Clearly we want to upgrade but, if he can play the scheme, he would have been a solid depth piece at this point. But, I do think age has caught up with him and he is not as agile as he once was.

And he was mostly a good LG. The problem was he also got injured a lot. It's not what you really want from a #13 pick, but he was still a good LG for several years although injury prone. It was probably time to move on, but I still worry that we don't have anyone behind Penning at LT (other than seeing if Fuaga can switch sides) and Penning is no sure thing. So, even if he wasn't a scheme fit, I would be more confident about the position if I knew we had an average veteran behind Penning. That doesn't have to be Peat, but unless someone shakes loose before the start of the season, there really aren't any options on the free agent market.
Terron Armstead took over the starting LT job from Charles Brown at the end of the 2013 season. Brown had gotten smoked in the Rams game that December and Payton figured he saw all he needed to.

In 2014 Armstead left the Dallas blowout loss early, tried to go but couldn’t in late-season games against Carolina and Chicago, then missed the last two games.

In 2015 it looked like Strief’s time was coming to an end, and Peat was BPA at 13, so they took him with the intention of having him take over for Strief. Payton said it, Brees said it, Strief even said it. But Peat couldn’t play the right, so he moved to LG, a hard position for a 6’7” guy to play. Lots of Peat’s injuries were of the “big man, fall hard” variety which I try not to hold too much against the very large man playing out of position.

Overall I’m grateful to have had him for the years, appreciated his ability to kick out and play LT as needed, and just don’t have anything bad to say about him.

Page 7 real question time:

Pronounced

An drus?
Or
On drus?

Well that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as they benched him prior to the season due to injury and only put him back into the lineup due to injury and performance issues.

I’m definitely wondering about contract details as well.

Did the Saints just seriously low ball him? Or was Pear just looking for a fresh start no matter what?

I would believe either story honestly

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom