Any updated estimates where we are cap wise? (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to find it but I read somewhere last night that we are right at $126 million. That's the number I want to know since we still don't know for sure what the cap will be. I'll post it if I can find it.

iwas trying to figure it out this morning. if im right we saved 10 mil in cap yesterday. last i read werent we around 13 mil over? so now we're 3 over with vilma/smith still "reading over" their potential contracts...

someone correct me if i'm wrong please. i want to know the number...

wait did I go to sleep or something? How did we go from 13 mil over the cap, and now we are 4.5 without Smith, Vilma, and Brees deals complete. Who else besides Colston took a big bite out of the cap?

evans - saved around 3 million
hawthorne - saved around 2.05 million
grubbs - saved around 3 million
colston - saved around 2.1 million

thats a total of 10.15 million saved yesterday

thanks I wondered who else restructured, and how much.

wait did I go to sleep or something? How did we go from 13 mil over the cap, and now we are 4.5 without Smith, Vilma, and Brees deals complete. Who else besides Colston took a big bite out of the cap?

We re-worked Ben Grubbs, Jahri Evans, and David Hawthorne's contracts. We have reduced deals on the table for Vilma and Will Smith.. They either taken them or get the axe.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>So, after a this week's moves, here's where the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Saints">#Saints</a> stand cap-wise at different numbers:</p>&mdash; WWL-TV Sports (@wwltvsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/wwltvsports/status/307149284367814657">February 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@ $121.1 million: Saints are over by about $6.5 million. @ $122: It's $5.6 million. @ $123: It's just $4.6 million. They're getting closer.</p>&mdash; WWL-TV Sports (@wwltvsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/wwltvsports/status/307149519827652608">February 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>It's actually better for the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Saints">#Saints</a>. With Colston added (forgot to put that in the spreadsheet), it would be only $4.4 over at $121.1 mil</p>&mdash; WWL-TV Sports (@wwltvsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/wwltvsports/status/307152437570043904">February 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

you don't hear anything about Harper restructuring or reducing for cap relief, makes me wonder if he will be on the team .

What many, including Triplett in T-P this morning, keep over looking is the guaranteed portion of Harper's contract. Reportedly, he received $16 million guaranteed on his contract. He got $7 million upon signing, $1.9 million salary in 2012 and $4.5 million in 2013. That means that he still has $2.6 million of his $5.25 million salary guaranteed this year (about half). So, if he were cut, he would get the $2.6 million and we would still have the prorata share of his signing bonus ($1.75 million this year and next) so he would could about $4.35 million to the cap if released (rather than $7.1 million). While it would be a savings, not nearly as big as many expect. I can see the Saints at least turning the remaining $2.6 million of guaranteed money into a signing bonus if needed to spread it over 2 years (since we have to pay it anyway) which would save $1.3 million in cap room this year (pushing it to next year).

Cut Will Smith, problem solved.

Why? He's a good player that was asked to do things that didn't fit his style of play nor his body type.. Now he can actually stop trying to get leaner and quick and gain back some weight and strength!

There isn't anyone to replace him for cheaper and he will be a really good option at DE opposite Jordan! He will restructure he knows he wasnt playing to his pay grade and will take less money and he will be really productive this year!

WWL-TV Sports @wwltvsports <IFRAME style="WIDTH: 55px; HEIGHT: 20px" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" title="Twitter Follow Button" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.1362008198.html#_=1362097379866&id=twitter-widget-6&lang=en&screen_name=wwltvsports&show_count=false&show_screen_name=false&size=m" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no data-twttr-rendered="true"></IFRAME>
It's actually better for the #Saints. With Colston added (forgot to put that in the spreadsheet), it would be only $4.4 over at $121.1 mil
new cap is 123.9,so now were should be 1.5 over if my math is right?

What many, including Triplett in T-P this morning, keep over looking is the guaranteed portion of Harper's contract. Reportedly, he received $16 million guaranteed on his contract. He got $7 million upon signing, $1.9 million salary in 2012 and $4.5 million in 2013. That means that he still has $2.6 million of his $5.25 million salary guaranteed this year (about half). So, if he were cut, he would get the $2.6 million and we would still have the prorata share of his signing bonus ($1.75 million this year and next) so he would could about $4.35 million to the cap if released (rather than $7.1 million). While it would be a savings, not nearly as big as many expect. I can see the Saints at least turning the remaining $2.6 million of guaranteed money into a signing bonus if needed to spread it over 2 years (since we have to pay it anyway) which would save $1.3 million in cap room this year (pushing it to next year).

To me this move was one of Loomis' worst as our GM. I remember when Harper got this big payday and my friends and I were just scratching our heads as to why in the world we would sign him to top 5 safety money. I'm a huge Loomis fan but this move has always been puzzling to me. I guess when you consider the worst moves by previous Saints GMs, this is baby $%&*.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom