Anyone have a fireplace in their kitchen....? (1 Viewer)

FLIPPY

Angler of the Year
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We're getting ready to do a major remodel on the house; the plans that were drawn up extends the kitchen into the original den which has a wood burning fireplace in it...

Any decent ideas on how to utilize it.....?

so you want to remodel your kitchen back to the 1920's? That should make misses quite happy. :rolleyes:

cookingfp.jpg

Joe

Believe it or not Joe, I was thinking about getting a Dutch oven for it....

We're getting ready to do a major remodel on the house; the plans that were drawn up extends the kitchen into the original den which has a wood burning fireplace in it...

Any decent ideas on how to utilize it.....?

Leave it. I almost tore out a wall between my kitchen and dining room, but that would have cost me the fireplace in the DR so I didn't. I've built 2 houses with fireplaces in the kitchen. Both were very large open rooms that included dining areas and both are fantastic.

Do it! Cheaper than tearing it out!

Leave it. I almost tore out a wall between my kitchen and dining room, but that would have cost me the fireplace in the DR so I didn't. I've built 2 houses with fireplaces in the kitchen. Both were very large open rooms that included dining areas and both are fantastic.

Do it! Cheaper than tearing it out!
No, I plan on keeping it in....I'm just wanting to know ways of utilizing it since it will be part of the kitchen.....Do they make tools for it to cook with, like Buzd said turn it into a pizza oven...or and indoor grill.

Or perhaps, put a little table with chairs in the area as a keeping room...

What did your clients do with it in their kitchens???

No, I plan on keeping it in....I'm just want to know ways of utilizing it since it will be part of the kitchen.....Do they make tools for it to cook with, like Buzd said turn it into a pizza oven...or and indoor grill for it.

Or perhaps, put a little table with chairs in the area as a keeping room...

What did your clients do with it in their kitchens???

I was looking for pics and they're evidently not loaded to my website, but in one it's in a room that's about 16x30 and on the far side of the room from the huge open kitchen. It's a big fireplace and they have it next to a large dining table such that the long end of the rectangular table runs parallel to the fireplace wall. We wrapped it in black granite cut offs from another job and built a great mantel set and they burn a fire when it's cold and they're entertaining, but also when they have people congregate in the kitchen.

The other house is about the same but the fireplace is one of the open sorts where you can see through it to the living room on the other side. They have a TV mounted above in in the LR and a banquette dining area set adjacent to it in the kitchen.

I'm absolutely positive you could buy an iron pot and the swiveling arms to hang it from and cook with it if you like.

Try restoration hardware and see if they have it or ebay. I've cooked a ton of stuff over a fireplace at our old camp house. One pot cooking is good.

Thanks dt, the architect finished the floor plans and is now doing the elevations....Hopefully he'll have that finished soon and start with the outside...We hope to start the remodeling sometime in March or April....

google fireplace cooking tools... also goodle brick ovens to get concepts...

Joe

Thanks dt, the architect finished the floor plans and is now doing the elevations....Hopefully he'll have that finished soon and start with the outside...We hope to start the remodeling sometime in March or April....

Contractors gotta eat! Good luck.

If you're looking for counters, a stone fireplace or specialty tile for your back splash, PM me. Even if you use someone else, if you have questions, ask away.

If you're looking for counters, a stone fireplace or specialty tile for your back splash, PM me. Even if you use someone else, if you have questions, ask away.
Will do, thanks....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom