As told to Jeremy Fowler, Spencer Rattler was in the same tier as Bo Nix and other top QB Prospects (1 Viewer)

Maybe falling off the cliff might not be the right words but these kind of stories happened sometimes. You see a guy having a great start but something happened and he struggled to maintain it. This is not to say Spencer can't come back stronger. In fact he has done well despite all the bumps and bruises he had to face... literally.
Think about always being talked about as the number one guy and then having a star freshman come in and steal your job. He went from playing in a Lincoln Riley offense to not knowing if he’d ever start again. That could have ruined him.

He could have transferred anywhere and put up stats, but he chose a team in the best conference in college football, and by all accounts, he was a great leader there. He still is seen by many as just the guy who lost his job to Caleb Williams.

I like that story. He will come in with a chip on his shoulder.

As much as everyone wanted Pete fired mid season DA never threw him under the bus. Rattler is that same mold, even their perseverance is similar. DA was obviously not a favorite person of many people in the Raiders organization. Specifically Amy Trask, dog walks him every chance she gets. People grow up, they learn lessons and they do improve.
Just a couple of things:

1. "As much as everyone wanted Pete fired mid-season DA never threw him under the bus" / He should have, he was terrible, and his bad play calling lost the team games. I hate it when the fans can spot issues the professionals should obviously see. Pete shouldn't have finished the season as OC.

2. "Rattler is that same mold, even their perseverance is similar." / I had to go and look up the definition of perseverance to make sure I was right but DA I'm pretty sure is the opposite of that word, Rattler does have grit though. But what DA and Rattler have in common is that they both LOSE. <------ I know, I know going to get neg rep to heck for that line, but I don't care it's the truth, you don't get benched for winning just losing. P.S. Switched schools and still lost. Ok, I'm done. (yes he won a toilet bowl game, all bowl games that are not playoff games are toilet bowls or participation trophies games)

3. "Specifically Amy Trask, dog walks him every chance she gets." / And for good reason and every time somebody post her statements, they ring true, and we comment on how right she is. Ask yourself when you see the head coaching rankings and DA is in the bottom 5, do you disagree with the ranking or your like "yeah I can see that"

4. "People grow up, they learn lessons and they do improve." / 100% agree, I am a walking talking living example of this.

Please if you neg rep all I ask is that you comment and explain why? Thats all, thanks.

Last edited:
Just a couple of things:

1. "As much as everyone wanted Pete fired mid-season DA never threw him under the bus" / He should have, he was terrible, and his bad play calling lost the team games. I hate it when the fans can spot issues the professionals should obviously see. Pete shouldn't have finished the season as OC.

2. "Rattler is that same mold, even their perseverance is similar." / I had to go and look up the definition of perseverance to make sure I was right but DA I'm pretty sure is the opposite of that word, Rattler does have grit though. But what DA and Rattler have in common is that they both LOSE. <------ I know, I know going to get neg rep to heck for that line, but I don't care it's the truth, you don't get benched for winning just losing. P.S. Switched schools and still lost. Ok, I'm done. (yes he won a toilet bowl game, all bowl games that are not playoff games are toilet bowls or participation trophies games)

3. "Specifically Amy Trask, dog walks him every chance she gets." / And for good reason and every time somebody post her statements, they ring true, and we comment on how right she is. Ask yourself when you see the head coaching rankings and DA is in the bottom 5, do you agree with the ranking or your like "yeah I can see that"

4. "People grow up, they learn lessons and they do improve." / 100% agree, I am a walking talking living example of this.

Please if you neg rep all I ask is that you comment and explain why? Thats all, thanks.

2. Mahomes lost a hell of a lot in college and is the best QB of this generation.

Just a couple of things:

That's based on opinion more than fact. Here's fact. With Pete calling plays to end the season Derek Carr's QB rating last 5 weeks

12/10 - 88.5
12/17 - 134.8
12/21 - 106.1
12/31 - 111.1
1/7 - 145.8

In those last 5 games the Saints scored 48, 23, 22, 24, and 28 points. Good for 29 ppg. and that's without me bringing up how much the redzone % improved after Dennis Allen implemented the bonus session.

The only other guy available to supplant him took a QB coach job on another team, not an OC position. Pete's main fault was taking too long to figure out how he needed to Call games with Carr at the helm, once he did you saw improvement and the stats back it. There's nothing other than imagination that says Ronald Curry could have done better.

There's enough context available to put in perspective how both individuals were not in situations conducive to winning. No matter what i say you won't be swayed so I won't waste my time typing it all out.

3. "Specifically Amy Trask, dog walks him every chance she gets." / And for good reason and every time somebody post her statements, they ring true, and we comment on how right she is. Ask yourself when you see the head coaching rankings and DA is in the bottom 5, do you agree with the ranking or your like "yeah I can see that"
I think your record is who you are, that doesnt' mean he can't improve.

So if you improved as a person over time, and life gave you that same opportunity, why do you have such a difficult time extending that same level of grace to other people? Imagine if "life" was sitting there saying "everything they said about kenny is true, he's not a winner, he's a bottom 5 human being. Instead of sitting patiently and allowing you to figure things out.

I can't relate to off-season pessimism. There isn't a GM in the league who doesn't feel good about his team when retooling for a new season. Since I fancy myself an armchair GM I think it's wise to follow suit. In-season is a different story, Yes I felt Pete should have been canned (i was proven wrong), I felt DA was not a good leader (I was proven wrong) and other things. During the season this year, I'll likely say a lot of things, some accurate, some not.

Being able to be flexible with thoughts, is far better than being rigid in belief.

Just a couple of things:

It's not like you to be so rigid in the "winner/loser" criteria. The hype for Rattler seems to be warranted, IMO. Of course it's a "we'll see" situation, but I'm thrilled that someone with this much potential fell into our lap due to a crazy first round run on QBs.

At this point all this excitement about a quarterback taken in the 5th round is heighten by most national media calling this guy the steal of the draft. I can't get too excited or having any doubts until training camp and snaps in preseason games. Probably the hottest competition is the backup quarterback this camp. Not listening to any media or anyone on this forum, I have to keep in mind he is a 5th round pick and didn't have a great college career as far as stats and wins.
Right. I want to see the raw numbers and grades etc that make him right up there with the top of the class. I tend to believe in Rattler trusting my own eyes. However, has anyone provided any real data?

The best I can do is provide you with a link that's a good scouting read from a former GM/Scout (IIRC). The problem is, nothing positive said about the player is going to alter a negative or hesitant view. It will just be seen as sunshine pumping so, is it truly data that you want? Or is this something that will just be met with a response like "if he was so good why isn't he in the NFL now" type of response?

Anyway, link below. He uses logic/reasoning and his trained eye to come to his own conclusion. Whether you appreciate the view or not is up to you.

Right. I want to see the raw numbers and grades etc that make him right up there with the top of the class. I tend to believe in Rattler trusting my own eyes. However, has anyone provided any real data?

This. I stand by my usual stance that unless you take qb high (rounds 1 or 2 ), it's not a serious investment. We would all be thrilled if he turns out to be a steal, but he's a mid-round guy.
I think that's an even take, annointing him as the future before he's taken a preseason snap is placing unfair expectations on the kid. He's a 5th round pick, if he turns into a solid backup it's a win, anything beyond that is lagniappe.

But I'm definitely pulling for him and looking forward to seeing him in preseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom