Audiobooks (1 Viewer)

So, let's bump this as I have some long car rides soon. Any good audiobook suggestions for the new year? Fiction or non-fiction, doesn't really matter to me.

So, let's bump this as I have some long car rides soon. Any good audiobook suggestions for the new year? Fiction or non-fiction, doesn't really matter to me.

14 by Peter Clines was great

Ready player one by Ernest cline

Sandman Slim series

Martian by Andy Weir

Brilliance trilogy by Marcus Sakey (one the the best narrating jobs I've listened too)

Monster hunter international by Larry correia

Big over easy jasper fforde

Under the dome and apt pupil by Stephen king

Suffer the children Craig dilouie

Chet and Bernie series by spencer Quinn

I added Ready Player One to the list. I think my wife will enjoy it as well.

Anyone read/listened to Girl on the Train. I know the movie came out. I'm sure the wife will enjoy that one. Will I?

I listen to them all the time when I'm doing busywork. Very easy to get addicted to them, haha. Some of my favorites over the last couple of years:

David Copperfield read by Martin Jarvis
The Count of Monte Cristo read by Richard Matthews
The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear read by Rupert Degas (didn't care for the Nick Podehl read version AT ALL).
I am Pilgrim read by Christopher Ragland

I've found the narrator makes a HUGE difference in audiobooks.

So, any good 2017-2018 audiobook suggestions? I've got a free one, so don't want to waste it. :hihi:

for anyone who is still into physical media

audibookstand is stopping consumer sales next Friday and they have a ton of CD and MP3 audiobooks on sale for $4.00

I've already bought about 20 books and I'm probably not done

Home - AudiobookStand

Good article on the importance of a good narrator
===========================

Any devoted audiobook listener can attest: Spending nine hours (or more) in the company of a terrible reader — a shrieker, mumbler, droner, tooth whistler or overzealous thespian — is an experience that can truly ruin a book. A narrator’s voice is not merely a delivery system, an element extraneous to the text, but an integral one — fulfilling, enriching, injuring or sinking a book..........

Any new suggestions?

Live an die by audiobooks. I highly recommend:

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
The Sandman Slim Series by Richard Kadrey
The Red Rising series

I’m listening to “A Man on the Moon “ right now. Read by Bronson Pinchot. The book is good and his reading isn’t terrible.

Live an die by audiobooks. I highly recommend:

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
The Sandman Slim Series by Richard Kadrey
The Red Rising series

Love sandman slim haven’t read the whole series

I’ve listened to the first five

Will Wheaton isn’t a “great” narrator but he chooses titles that suit his strengths

I really enjoyed him reading ready player one

I’m listening to “A Man on the Moon “ right now. Read by Bronson Pinchot. The book is good and his reading isn’t terrible.

I like Pinchot too

I thought his narration of Captain Bluebear was fantastic

For someone looking to dive into audiobooks on Android, what apps/setup do you recommend. I have a Amazon Prime account and at one time set up an Audible account, but didn't "read" enough to warrant a monthly membership and the books individually were pretty pricey as I remember it.

Oh my god, if you haven't listened to the Dark Tower audiobooks read by Frank Muller and George Guidall then that should be your next listen. Muller reads some of the earlier books in the series and then Guidall reads the rest. This saga is some of their finest work.

If you don't feel like embarking on an epic journey with the Dark Tower Saga then I'd suggest listening to short stories on Youtube. I recently listened to H.P. Lovecraft's best works on a channel called "Intellectual Exercise". A man named Conrad Feininger reads most of the stories and his voice is perfect for Lovecraft. It's some of the creepiest stuff you'll ever hear.

There's also a channel called "Horror Babble" that is pretty decent when it comes to short stories.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom