BCS rejects the plus one 4 team playoff system. (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=803250

Screw college football. We were so close to having some kind of playoff. Now they vote it down and its going to be decades before we get another chance to get one.

BTW...guess who were the ones who voted it down? Yeah..the Pac 10 and Big 10. The main reason cited?? They are scared they'll not be in the rose bowl every year.

The announcement to drop the plus-one talk for the near future was no surprise. Coming into these meetings it seemed to be at best a long shot to gain enough support for it to remain an option for the next BCS TV contract cycle, which begins with the 2011 bowls.

The Big Ten and Pac-10 have been dead set against the plus-one. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen have said repeatedly that they're concerned the four-team playoff the plus-one creates would inevitably grow. Also, they believe their league's access to the Rose Bowl, already compromised by simply being involved with the BCS, could be further hindered by a plus-one.

In the 10 seasons since the BCS was put in place, the Rose Bowl has had its traditional Pac-10 vs. Big Ten matchup six times.

Slive, Swofford, Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe had all said they were in favor of taking a serious look at the plus-one, but no league had gone so far as to publicly support the change.

In the end, only the SEC and ACC wanted to even continue the discussion.

I was just about to post this exact article.

Of course the Pac-10 is against it. It would take USC out of their own back yard and the Big-11 would get their ***** handed to them.

****ing Pac 10 and Big 10. It's ridiculous that they get away with this. Bunch of *******. Grow a pair and put your stuff up against the SEC's. Not that I ever expected them to vote for a playoff because that would be detrimental to the USC/Michigan/Ohio State trio which are the only teams that might have a shot in the playoffs year in and year out. Hell, they're too scared to even implement a conference championship game because it might hurt those three teams.

I say make the playoff. Leave the Big 10 and Pac 10 to have their own little meaningless tradition Rose Bowl while the real National Championship is played elsewhere. It's not like it would stop them from claiming to be champions even though they didn't play in the NCG anyways...

Major College Football: The only sport to have never had a champion.

greed and stupidity... the very two traits that hold humanity back more than any other.

Something that so obviously make sense, gets voted down? This just is ridiculous.

Our only hope now? Congress... *dies a little inside*

It's never going to happen, not for decades.

I know it would never happen, but I wish the other conferences would have a tournament without the PAC-10 or Tiny 11. Let them play each other every year, but leave the invitation open for them to join.

Big 10 would be exposed if there was a playoff; as if they weren't exposed anyway.

what's the big 10 vs sec head to head record the last few years??

while i wish there was a playoff it was every conference except the sec and acc who didn't want to look into the plus 1, not just the big "11" and pac-10, even though they are the 2 biggest apponents to changing the system.

I'm no fan of the rose bowl, actually i hate that the big 10 is tied to that bowl, when they announced penn st. was joining the big ten all i thought of was how much i disliked the rose bowl, and it screwed penn st. in their first year in the big 10 when they went undefeated and had to play oregon in the rose bowl and missed out on a national champ.

I know the only reason the conferences dont want to have a playoff is the $$, but i just dont understand how they think they will lose money if they go the playoff route.

what's the big 10 vs sec head to head record the last few years??

while i wish there was a playoff it was every conference except the sec and acc who didn't want to look into the plus 1, not just the big "11" and pac-10, even though they are the 2 biggest apponents to changing the system.

I'm no fan of the rose bowl, actually i hate that the big 10 is tied to that bowl, when they announced penn st. was joining the big ten all i thought of was how much i disliked the rose bowl, and it screwed penn st. in their first year in the big 10 when they went undefeated and had to play oregon in the rose bowl and missed out on a national champ.

I know the only reason the conferences dont want to have a playoff is the $$, but i just dont understand how they think they will lose money if they go the playoff route.

Don't know but the big 10 is 8-9 in bcs games and the sec is 11-4 including two years in a row of beatdowns of the big 10 champ by sec champs.

How can anyone be surprised by this? There's just simply too much money involved here. It hasn't been about the players and fans in a long time.

No, it actually was just the Big 10 and Pac 10. The Big 12 and Big East supported continueing the discussion per the quote above.

"Tradition" shouldn't outweigh what's best for the game.

Pure garbage.

I can't wait for the USC vs NorthWestern Rose bowl next year!! :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom