BCS rejects the plus one 4 team playoff system. (2 Viewers)

Major College Football: The only sport to have never had a champion.

:plus-un2:

so so so dumb

:plus-un2:

what a sham. college football is a joke.

Without a real playoff system it is.

****ing Pac 10 and Big 10. It's ridiculous that they get away with this. Bunch of *******. Grow a pair and put your stuff up against the SEC's. Not that I ever expected them to vote for a playoff because that would be detrimental to the USC/Michigan/Ohio State trio which are the only teams that might have a shot in the playoffs year in and year out. Hell, they're too scared to even implement a conference championship game because it might hurt those three teams.

I say make the playoff. Leave the Big 10 and Pac 10 to have their own little meaningless tradition Rose Bowl while the real National Championship is played elsewhere. It's not like it would stop them from claiming to be champions even though they didn't play in the NCG anyways...

Actually, IF this is possible, I say they do this. Just start doing an inter-conference playoff system and allow any conference that wants to join in, join in. Eventually the Big 10 and Pac 10 will have no choice but to join in or not be taken seriously. I don't know if this breaks any kind of rules or arrangements, but I think it only makes sense.

Actually, IF this is possible, I say they do this. Just start doing an inter-conference playoff system and allow any conference that wants to join in, join in. Eventually the Big 10 and Pac 10 will have no choice but to join in or not be taken seriously. I don't know if this breaks any kind of rules or arrangements, but I think it only makes sense.

It's possible. The only reason the NCAA has any authority is because the colleges give them authority. If they don't do what's in the best interest of the schools, then the SEC and other conferences can break away or revoke that authority. If a majority of the power conferences went in this direction, then the Pac 10 and Big 10 will have no choice to follow, otherwise they will never get any recruits and their programs will become completely irrelevant. Furthermore, I strongly believe that the mid-major conferences and lower would strongly prefer a playoff system. How else will a team like Hawaii EVER play for the national championship? You think an undefeated Hawaii will EVER play for the championship under the current system? Not in your life buddy. If it didn't happen this year, it will never happen. They took a two loss LSU team over an undefeated Hawaii team (and they should have obviously.) However, a playoff system at least gives them the chance to play for the title. And a team like Hawaii would eventually, one day, win a national title under a playoff scenario. It might take 100 years, but it would happen one day!

Don't the big 10 and Pac 10 own the rose bowl and get a percentage of the profits? Punks.

I know this is an LSU dominated board, but as an Auburn fan whose dad is an LSU alum, no team in the history of football got hosed more than AU in 2004. Auburn beat 4 top 10 teams that year, no team has beaten more in the history of college football. OU beat Kansas on a call that was about the worst call in college football, as Kansas' coach pointed out, and got fined for. Kansas. OU had to get LUCKY to be Kansas.....

Auburn got criticized heavily for only beating Tennessee 38-28, the second time they beat UT, whose only other loss the entire season was by 4 points to ND, but because UT ended the season with 3 losses, it looked bad. Does it matter only 1 loss came at another school's hands? Nope, unless it was Ohio St or USC, then every excuse could be made. 4 top 10 school defeats had never been done, but didn't matter because they started out below USC and OU, and really what matters is what people think before a game is played, so they don't look stupid later on. Who wants to look stupid????

Trust me dogg, I feel for you in many more ways then is humanly possible. Bottom line: Auburn got screwed in 2004, and it bothers me that some people still try to whitewash that year by saying we couldn't have beaten USC or that we were overrated. I mean I remember the Sound off section in Mobile going ballistic in early January 2005 over this. some Bama fans, die hards too, were saying that a travesty and an injustice had just occurred. Many people in this state were angry and still are angry about this issue and the overlapping reason is bitterness. They are bitter because Auburn never got a fair shake. and I share their disappointment and bitterness.

If you look at all of the reasons why this Plus One system is being discussed, its because of us and our 2004 team. The current system with the BCS is set up to make money at the most prolific most limitless fashion, what ever gets in the way of that, is seen as a threat and doing the right thing gets shoved to the way side. Auburn's 2004 team was seen as a threat to the cash cow called the BCS and they did their damnedest to make sure we were given the second class Sugar Bowl bowl and told to shut up and be happy about it.

For years, I have been saying the other conferences should call Jim Delaney's bluff and institute a playoff system without his precious Big 10. If the Lack 10 wants to be left out as well, leave 'em out.

Down with tyranny! The other conferences should band together, institute the 8 team playoff and tell the NCAA they can back them or lose them to a new alliance. Enough already.

For years, I have been saying the other conferences should call Jim Delaney's bluff and institute a playoff system without his precious Big 10. If the Lack 10 wants to be left out as well, leave 'em out.

Down with tyranny! The other conferences should band together, institute the 8 team playoff and tell the NCAA they can back them or lose them to a new alliance. Enough already.

I get the feeling that none of the other conferences (outside the two that presented the idea) really wanted it either. They are all a bunch of chickens.

The only way it's going to happen is if congress gets involved and forces them, or by some miracle that will never happen, fans will start boycotting college football (and quit paying money) till a playoff is instituted.

What a crock, the ONLY sport without a recognized national champion is the single most popular sport out of all college athletics. These dinasours need to be fired and replaced. Come on rich alumni of EVERY major university needs to band together and start putting pressure on the colleges. We need to start a website that calls for all alumni EVERYWHERE to refuse to donate money till this injustice has been resolved!

Meh, I'm fine without a playoff. Folks would just find something else to complain about (like when the first time an undefeated team ranked #5 gets left out.)

College football has the most exciting (and relevant) regular season in all of sports. As much as you all cry, you all tune in to many important games almost every week. No other sport offers that.

I know I sound like a Big 10 executive here but I can see why they did it, and I'm not surprised.

Just get over it.

Meh, I'm fine without a playoff. Folks would just find something else to complain about (like when the first time an undefeated team ranked #5 gets left out.)

College football has the most exciting (and relevant) regular season in all of sports. As much as you all cry, you all tune in to many important games almost every week. No other sport offers that.

I know I sound like a Big 10 executive here but I can see why they did it, and I'm not surprised.

Just get over it.

Something just needs to be done to break the stupid Pac10-Big Ten tie to the Rose bowl. It needs to be the top 10 teams playing in the top 5 games. Seriously how is that so hard to figure out?

I agree, if we had a play-off system in place, do you really think teams like USC would be in the Rose bowl every year......I think not......!

I agree, if we had a play-off system in place, do you really think teams like USC would be in the Rose bowl every year......I think not......!

No lie. USC has a good team each year, but come on. Illinois?

If anything it should have been USC vs Georgia, but the Trojans wanted none of that.

Bulldogs the team to watch this year.....they are going to be hell to mess with.........RB is a beast.

Don't know but the big 10 is 8-9 in bcs games and the sec is 11-4 including two years in a row of beatdowns of the big 10 champ by sec champs.

Actually, in the last 4 years , the Big 10 vs. SEC is 6-5 in favor of the Big 10.

Minnesota 20, Alabama 16
Georgia 24, Wisconsin 21
Iowa 30, LSU 25

Florida 31, Iowa 24 - Outback
Wisconsin 24, Auburn 10 - Capital One

Penn State 20, Tennessee 10 - Outback Bowl
Wisconsin 17, Arkansas 14 - Capital One Bowl
Florida 41, Ohio State 14 - NC Game

Tennesse 21, Wisconsin 17 - Outback Bowl
Michigan 41, Florida 35 - Capital One Bowl
LSU 38, OSU 24 - NC Game

That's pretty good for the Big 10, considering that half the time these games are played in SEC states and stadiums.

Last edited:
Actually, in the last 4 years , the Big 10 vs. SEC is 6-5 in favor of the Big 10.

Minnesota 20, Alabama 16
Georgia 24, Wisconsin 21
Iowa 30, LSU 25

Florida 31, Iowa 24 - Outback
Wisconsin 24, Auburn 10 - Capital One

Penn State 20, Tennessee 10 - Outback Bowl
Wisconsin 17, Arkansas 14 - Capital One Bowl
Florida 41, Ohio State 14 - NC Game

Tennesse 21, Wisconsin 17 - Outback Bowl
Michigan 41, Florida 35 - Capital One Bowl
LSU 38, OSU 24 - NC Game

That's pretty good for the Big 10, considering that half the time these games are played in SEC states and stadiums.

I posted BCS games. So what if Minnesota beat a 6-6 Alabama team?

Not everyone in the big 11 is against a playoff.

PITTSBURGH -- Penn State football coach Joe Paterno is lobbying again for major college football playoff, calling the reasons against it "bogus" less than three weeks after the Bowl Championship Series decided to maintain its current format for the foreseeable future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3408761

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom