BCS rejects the plus one 4 team playoff system. (1 Viewer)

I guess the old dinasour is still good for something.... good job joepa!

Meh, I'm fine without a playoff. Folks would just find something else to complain about (like when the first time an undefeated team ranked #5 gets left out.)

College football has the most exciting (and relevant) regular season in all of sports. As much as you all cry, you all tune in to many important games almost every week. No other sport offers that.

I know I sound like a Big 10 executive here but I can see why they did it, and I'm not surprised.

Just get over it.

I agree.

Don;t go messin with the greatest regular season in all of sport.

I have to disagree with everyone saying a playoff would devalue the regular season. You're fighting for the top 4 or so spots in the country. Just like the system now, one loss can take you out of that top 4 or so. 12 teams with one loss have been left out of the top 4 in the AP poll since 2002. Losses would be just as costly as they are now. The regular season would be just as intense, and I can't even imagine how great a playoff game would be in Tiger Stadium, or Neyland, or Jordan-Hare, or the Swamp, etc. You would maintain the intensity of the regular season, while creating an atmosphere unmatched in any other sport in the playoffs. If this were to happen, and you would stop watching all the games because of some 'devalued' regular season, I would really have to question your loyalty as a fan.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with everyone saying a playoff would devalue the regular season. You're fighting for the top 4 or so spots in the country. Just like the system now, one loss can take you out of that top 4 or so. 12 teams with one loss have been left out of the top 4 in the AP poll since 2002. Losses would be just as costly as they are now. The regular season would be just as intense, and I can't even imagine how great a playoff game would be in Tiger Stadium, or Neyland, or Jordan-Hare, or the Swamp, etc. You would maintain the intensity of the regular season, while creating an atmosphere unmatched in any other sport in the playoffs. If this were to happen, and you would stop watching all the games because of some 'devalued' regular season, I would really have to question your loyalty as a fan.

Yeah - the "plus one" doesn't strike me as horribly degrading the regular season. The problem though, is that I see it as a slippery slope. In and of itself its not that bad - particularly if you couple it with the requirement that only conference champs can play and the Big 11 and Pac 10 have to have a conference championship game.

Yeah - the "plus one" doesn't strike me as horribly degrading the regular season. The problem though, is that I see it as a slippery slope. In and of itself its not that bad - particularly if you couple it with the requirement that only conference champs can play and the Big 11 and Pac 10 have to have a conference championship game.

Sounds like a fair proposition to me.

But God forbid the Big 10 and Pac 10 catch up with the rest of college football by adding a conference championship and ditching their traditional USC vs tOSU/Michigan Rose Bowl.

I posted BCS games. So what if Minnesota beat a 6-6 Alabama team?

Ah, yes. The old "let's exclude games that hurt my argument" theory. Why take the whole picture when 1/4th of it supports your point of view?

:/

The only people who don't want a playoff are the fans of teams who benefit from not having one. Color me not surprised.

Ah, yes. The old "let's exclude games that hurt my argument" theory. Why take the whole picture when 1/4th of it supports your point of view?

:/

A lot of those 6-6 SEC team vs. Other Conference team matchups in bowls have the SEC team outseeded, sometimes by a lot. I'd put the SEC up 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, etc. against anyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom