Because I remember Decembers in the 70s (1 Viewer)

Loomis has been drafting and signing poor players. Not to mention the coach he hired. It's looking more like the 70s around here every day.

How?

It's always been my contention that you're never better off losing than you are winning. Besides the obvious--the worse you are the farther you have to go to be good, the more functional talent you have to find a way to accumulate in order to compete--each loss does more and more to embed a losing culture in the whole organization, particularly the younger players who haven't had an opportunity to learn what a professional needs to do to be a winner. Successful coaches are always saying "you have to trust the process" (aggravates the crap out of me for some reason...LOL), but it's really hard for a kid to trust the process if the process has never delivered for him. No one would pay any attention to Nick Saban's "process" if Alabama didn't have double-digit wins every season, least of all his players. All losing does is teach still impressionable players how much less work they can put in if they're going to lose anyway.

I also have thoughts about the "but we need to lose more so we can draft eight slots sooner in next year's draft" idea that is accepted as imperative by all the "smart guys". Been like a year ago so no link, but a really interesting piece I've read looked at past drafts and compared the careers of the first players selected at each position (WR, OL, etc.) with the next player selected at the same position, whether they were selected five picks later or all the way into the following round. Conventional wisdom says the first guy selected is gonna have a better career than the second often enough to make that early pick much more valuable, but in reality the first player selected at a position ends up having a better career than the next one at the position only 52% of the time.

Not a particularly compelling argument for instilling a losing culture. JMHO
Because if change is needed and someone is too stubborn and just trying to piece something together that is broken and needs replaced, then it’s constant frustration. Like how hitting rock bottom can be a positive for someone. They refuse to look at themselves in the mirror and make necessary and positive changes until it’s basically the only option they have.

Im not saying that’s what I want at all. But it is starting to feel like it might be the only way some of the changes that need to be made will ever get done and not just patching things together enough to barely be in the hunt for the last wildcard spot every year. What would be better is for our high draft picks to not to be busts and have a coaching staff our players respected and believed in.

Im totaling against tanking. I agree 100% on the losing culture thing. I think it’s ridiculous some fans actually wish we would lose, but I can understand why that it is. They are afraid mediocrity is close to becoming the new norm. All these glasses half full interviews from management and coaches when this has been one of the most unimpressive and below expectation seasons in a long long time.

Part of the problem is the NFL. It seems like they would love parity to the point that everyone is 8-8 going into the last week of the season.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom