Because I remember Decembers in the 70s (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more troubled I am about my attitude in regard to the current state of our beloved football franchise. Yes, the performance of our team is anything but impressive these days, and it's a far cry from what we were treated to during the Payton/Brees era. But we had to see this coming. I mean, nothing good lasts forever. Perhaps we failed to prepare ourselves properly for this inevitable downturn.

Sure, we can choose to be miserable about it... even angry if we're the type who is prone to such emotion. But we can also choose to make the best of what we have down the home stretch of the 2023 season. This is not to take away from the misery of those who have a lot of money invested in this team and feel that they must make their feelings known to the front office that they are very displeased with the lack of production shown by the team they are supporting. More power to those who are earnest in their attempts to get this point across to Mickey & Gayle.

But frankly I think they already know. Everybody knows. Including every coach & player that is receiving the brunt of the criticism. But there is an undeniable fact about this Saints team that we must acknowledge. They aren't done yet. Not only are the Saints still in the hunt for the NFC South crown and a #4 Seed home game in the playoffs, but at the moment they also control their own destiny for those two prizes.

While it's easy to give discouraging reasons 'why' the Saints are still in the running, isn't it still better than what Decembers were like back in the 70s & early 80s? Like many of you folks I remember when the postseason dream was over long before we entered the last month of regular season football. How we used to yearn for the opportunity just to find ourselves in the short list of playoff participants. Even during the Mora years when our postseason visits came up empty, we were still happy & proud that we managed to get there.

I get it. It's hard to go back and accept mediocrity once again. But it can still be fun and exciting to cheer on your team even though hard reality says we won't get far. But it's still better than being eliminated by Thanksgiving. In fact this very situation is what the premise of KWTPF sprang from. No, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking 'this could be the year'. What's going to happen, is going to happen. But I'm going to enjoy whatever positive things may come about in the next 4 weeks. Chances are I'll be a little less disappointed when the inevitable happens. But either way, I just need to take myself back to those days when hope was always fleeting so that I can find some joy in knowing that this December we still have something special to play for.

Geaux Saints! :9:

Last edited:
Agreed. I’ve said it in other posts but I’ll say it again. If we don’t win the division DA needs to be gone. If we do… I’m fine either way. Won’t cry or cheer about him being fired or kept. We need changes At position coaches in either scenario. But I’ll root for wins and for us to make the playoffs over losing any day. And I don’t think winning will negatively impact our ability draft a qb.

Personally it's because I remember decembers in the 80s, when we got rid of Dave wilson and Hebert got us 10 wins, I knew we were not going to the super bowl, I knew we were not going to get past joe montana and in the 90s, we were not gonna get past dallas,

But playing in the playoffs was so much more fun than 4 and 12 seasons, and more fun watching my friends who's teams were in perpetual rebuilds.

I prefer making a run at the playoffs over rebuilds all day long, but if we aren't making playoff runs, then we need a new coach.

I believe things take time to gel, and I would give DA one more season IF he makes changes on offense in the offseason if we dont make the playoffs.

Struggling to believe the same person wrote “we’re only winning one more game” what, 24 hours ago?

The more I think about it the more troubled I am about my attitude in regard to the current state of our beloved football franchise. Yes, the performance of our team is anything but impressive these days, and it's a far cry from what we were treated to during the Payton/Brees era. But we had to see this coming. I mean, nothing good lasts forever. Perhaps we failed to prepare ourselves properly for this inevitable downturn.

Sure, we can choose to be miserable about it... even angry if we're the type who is prone to such emotion. But we can also choose to make the best of what we have down the home stretch of the 2023 season. This is not to take away from the misery of those who have a lot of money invested in this team and feel that they must make their feelings know to the front office that they are very displeased with the lack of production shown by the team they are supporting. More power to those who are earnest in their attempts to get this point across to Mickey & Gayle.

But frankly I think they already know. Everybody knows. Including every coach & player that is receiving the brunt of the criticism. But there is an undeniable fact about this Saints team that we must acknowledge. They aren't done yet. Not only are the Saints still in the hunt for the NFC South crown and a #4 Seed home game in the playoffs, but at the moment they also control their own destiny for those two prizes.

While it's easy to give discouraging reasons 'why' the Saints are still in the running, isn't it still better than what Decembers were like back in the 70s & early 80s? Like many of you folks I remember when the postseason dream was over long before we entered the last month of regular season football. How we used to yearn for the opportunity just to find ourselves in the short list of playoff participants. Even during the Mora years when our postseason visits came up empty, we were still happy & proud that we managed to get there.

I get it. It's hard to go back and accept mediocrity once again. But it can still be fun and exciting to cheer on your team even though hard reality says we won't get far. But it's still better than being eliminated by Thanksgiving. In fact this very situation is what the premise of KWTPF sprang from. No, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking 'this could be the year'. What's going to happen, is going to happen. But I'm going to enjoy whatever positive things may come about in the next 4 weeks. Chances are I'll be a little less disappointed when the inevitable happens. But either way, I just need to take myself back to those days when hope was always fleeting so that I can find some joy in knowing that this December we still have something special to play for.

Geaux Saints! :9:
The scriptures say it is better to be hot or cold than to be lukewarm. I think that’s where a lot of fans are. Rather have a legit shot at a championship or be really bad. Easier to start over and rebuild if you’re really bad. Being stuck in 7-10 or 8-9 hell feels far worse.

The scriptures say it is better to be hot or cold than to be lukewarm. I think that’s where a lot of fans are. Rather have a legit shot at a championship or be really bad. Easier to start over and rebuild if you’re really bad. Being stuck in 7-10 or 8-9 hell feels far worse.
Any time I see someone post this sentiment about the team they root for even possibly being bad, I immediately wonder to myself:

“Which games did this fan wish the Saints lost?”

Because on six occasions, the team did what it took to win, and usually what we as fans wish for is for the team to have won more. I don’t believe anyone would be happy sitting at, say, 4-9 right now — but at this point I’m less convinced many of you would be happy at 9-4, either

The fans have no control over what 'temperature' we will play whether now or in the future. All we can do is hope for better times ahead and try and enjoy what's left of the season. The offseason is too long to be whining while our team is still in the hunt. Yeah, we suck like a Hoover right now, but we may be even worse next year. So I've decided to (try to) enjoy whatever is left of the season. I really don't believe decisions will be made solely by what happens in the next 4 games. DA will probably get his third year as the skipper, and our final record won't make or break our draft position. Since I can't call the shots, I just want to be a good fan.

The fans have no control over what 'temperature' we will play whether now or in the future. All we can do is hope for better times ahead and try and enjoy what's left of the season. The offseason is too long to be whining while our team is still in the hunt. Yeah, we suck like a Hoover right now, but we may be even worse next year. So I've decided to (try to) enjoy whatever is left of the season. I really don't believe decisions will be made solely by what happens in the next 4 games. DA will probably get his third year as the skipper, and our final record won't make or break our draft position. Since I can't call the shots, I just want to be a good fan.
More fans, less armchair GMs PLEASE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom