Best analogy I've heard yet... (1 Viewer)

Hmmm... I would say about 5 seconds left. a squib kick takes care of most of that...

As long as there is :01 on the clock, I don’t believe it’s over.

Remember last year?

Let's suppose refs call pass interference.

1st down 1:49...run for no gain...6 seconds...Rams call final timeout
2nd down 1:43...run for no gain...6+39 seconds
3rd down :58...run for no gain...6+39 seconds
4th down :13...25 yard FG...5 seconds
Kickoff :08

So at best, Rams get the ball back with 8 seconds left with no timeouts, assuming no time runoff on the kickoff. Don't see how they would have 17 seconds left.

Still got to make the kick.

A HR to go ahead bottom 9.....it’s over.

Not a great analogy, as the HR would be GAME OVER.

While the PI would have swung the game majorly in our favor, we would still have to convert a kick.

And the Rams would still have 17 seconds.
This is not a valid point because we ended up making a longer, more difficult kick anyway. It's reasonable to presume that we would've made the easier one.

Irrelevant. We made a harder kick. The event in question would've simply made that kick easier, and pretty much wipe out all the time.

He did make the kick a couple of plays later. So that's pretty much a given. Much better odds to make a fg than hit a hr. The only question is whether the Rams pull a Viking miracle play to win. I'd say Payton and Allen learned their lesson from that and it doesn't happen.

NBA analogy

Middle of the 4th quarter, a player shoots a jump shot and the defender slightly grazes the shooters wrist which doesn't affect the shot = Jared Goffs facemask no call.

End of the 4th quarter, 5 seconds left, tie game, a player is open for an easy fastbreak layup but the defender trailing him shoves him with both hands. The player wipes out, misses the lay up, and no whistle from the refs. The other team ends up winning in OT = our no call.

We were a step away from crossing the finish line in a marathon. The officials governing the race stopped us, gave the competition time catch up, and then restarted the race as a 100 yard dash. We lost the sprint.

Unfortunately, the officials weren't any more favorable in overtime.

Last edited:
Not a great analogy, as the HR would be GAME OVER.

While the PI would have swung the game majorly in our favor, we would still have to convert a kick.

And the Rams would still have 17 seconds.

If both penalties are called, we're on the 1 or 2 yard line, and would probably have punched it in.

Let's suppose refs call pass interference.

1st down 1:49...run for no gain...6 seconds...Rams call final timeout
2nd down 1:43...run for no gain...6+39 seconds
3rd down :58...run for no gain...6+39 seconds
4th down :13...25 yard FG...5 seconds
Kickoff :08

So at best, Rams get the ball back with 8 seconds left with no timeouts, assuming no time runoff on the kickoff. Don't see how they would have 17 seconds left.

Does anyone know what the rules would have dictated had the fix not been in and the refs made the call that there is no denying should have been made? Would the clock have started running after the ball was spotted following the penalty?

Seems odd that the clock would not re-start after a defensive penalty at that point in the game...

If both penalties are called, we're on the 1 or 2 yard line, and would probably have punched it in.
I don’t believe both penalties are called. Pi penalty would have been first down from spot of foul. Helmet to helmet I believe would have been 15 yards or half distance to goal! Either way it should have been 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line! Not sure if one penalty takes precedence over another.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom