NFL Best explanation of how teams get around salary cap limits (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
I did a SSF search; didn’t see this posted before.

Run time: 13 mins. He breaks down Mahommes' contract, and tells how the numbers may not be what they seem. He also explains how most players don't get megabucks beyond the first year of their contract. Some do; most don't.

Worth viewing; great presentation!

:gosaints:

Last edited:
To some extent it’s always.

200.gif

To some extent it’s always.

200.gif

Which makes sense. If the salary cap is expected to rise, tomorrow's dollars are cheaper than today's dollars. Pushing contracts into the future lets a team get more for their dollars now. Then that value gets more team friendly during future seasons.

Where the Saints got stung is COVID causing the cap to stagnate. I believe Loomis had all the contracts planned out into the future expecting a certain cap expansion. When it didn't expand anywhere near the expectation, a lot of the Saints calculated moves became very troublesome.

Last edited:
We should be able to restructure Ramczyk, and probably Lattimore. Those two would free up sizeable cap space.

:gosaints:
I can't see how they have the space to sign the draft picks at this point let alone have enough space to operate during the season (The salary of a player that comes in to replace a player on IR or PuP will cost extra cap space)> They will have to extend Ram, Williams, or Lattimore. Ram is the most logical at this point to me. Lattimore is likely on hold until the legal authorities decide what to do and then the league will decide if a suspension is warranted. With Williams, he was tagged and he signed it. That means that they only have until July 15th to renegotiate a new deal to lower this years cap. After that they are locked into his tag salary of $10.6 million for this year.

Which makes sense. If the salary cap is expected to rise, tomorrow's dollars are cheaper than today's dollars. Pushing contracts into the future let's a team get more for their dollars now.

Where the Saints got stung is COVID causing the cap to stagnate. I believe Loomis had all the contracts planned out into the future expecting a certain cap expansion. When it didn't expand anywhere near the expectation, a lot of the Saints calculated moves became very troublesome.

I think you are right but it’s also a given when you have an elite QB for any stretch, you are going to have to pay up eventually. If Drew’s dead money is 11mil, that is probably about as good as it gets for a QB of that caliber. The same contract structures that make all of the above true, make it very unlikely that anybody will just play the years on their contract and walk away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom