Best QBs ever drafted by Saints (1 Viewer)

DCTransplant

Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I heard a stat this morning that if Kyler Murray gets Arizona into the playoffs, he will be the first QB drafted by the organization to lead them to the playoffs since Jake Plummer in 1998, I believe.

It got me to thinking that the Saints have never won a playoff game with a QB they drafted... and I'm not sure any of them ever appeared in a playoff game for anyone.

In fact, the Saints must have the worst QB (or non-existent is maybe a better word) draft history of any NFL franchise.

So I would guess it's unanimous that Archie Manning is the best QB we ever drafted, although that clearly didn't translate to any level of success for the Saints.
But who is the 2nd best QB the Saints ever drafted???? If the answer turns out to be Danny Wuerffel, that's pretty woeful :)

I heard a stat this morning that if Kyler Murray gets Arizona into the playoffs, he will be the first QB drafted by the organization to lead them to the playoffs since Jake Plummer in 1998, I believe.

It got me to thinking that the Saints have never won a playoff game with a QB they drafted... and I'm not sure any of them ever appeared in a playoff game for anyone.

In fact, the Saints must have the worst QB (or non-existent is maybe a better word) draft history of any NFL franchise.

So I would guess it's unanimous that Archie Manning is the best QB we ever drafted, although that clearly didn't translate to any level of success for the Saints.
But who is the 2nd best QB the Saints ever drafted???? If the answer turns out to be Danny Wuerffel, that's pretty woeful :)
We drafted Marc Bulger in the sixth round of the 2000 draft.

It’s not a good list but in my entire Saints fan history (a little after Archie) we have simply not invested highly at the position. Almost every starter during that time has been a FA and I don’t think we ever invested higher than fourth for development and even that only a couple of times.

You guys saying it’s brutal are way off. The lack of picks spent on QBs over the years is actually a sign of quality. We haven’t had to go fishing for one year in and year out like many teams.

I buy that in the Brees era, but there were a lot of lean QB years.
It wasn't meant as a barometer of the success of the franchise, just an interesting fact.... but FWIW lots of good franchises draft backups that wind up being good players, even if they wind up playing for another team

I buy that in the Brees era, but there were a lot of lean QB years.
It wasn't meant as a barometer of the success of the franchise, just an interesting fact.... but FWIW lots of good franchises draft backups that wind up being good players, even if they wind up playing for another team

Its a question of philosophy. The Saints have historically gone for known quantities rather than spending their picks on a pig in a poke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom