UPDATE: BI Likely to be Traded[Pel's Media expect a big push to move in Ingram in Early August] (5 Viewers)

Maybe this will force a move if they covet Borrego

So... are they firing Willie Green or nah? Asking for a friend...
(Screw that... asking for me!!!)
Nope. Logically, he's here for awhile. He signed that contract extension during the season. He'll be here for awhile - at least (barring a complete bust by the team) next season. Maybe 2.

Yeah it's interesting, as a player...Zion hasn't changed much from who he was when he was drafted. The focus should have always been spacing. Having a eureka moment now screams incompetence.
You can't build a team around one player. They need Zion to develop his game rather than trying to field a team full of shooters. You need to field a team full of multi-faceted basketball players. Especially ones that can self create.

As for who will be traded. JV is pretty obvious. BI is unlikely.

That's why the trio of Zion, BI, and CJ never made sense to me. All 3 guys are primarily iso players, but the Pels are at their best when the ball is moving.

Iso players win playoff games. Especially ones that are unselfish and willing to pass the ball like BI. The Pels problems are Trey, CJ, and Jose went ice cold when it mattered most. Which is the problem when you have to rely on shooters too much. Zion is gone at the most important time of the season...again.

I'm not going to be too reactionary off one season. The past few seasons have shown the main problems are:

1. Bigs rotation is way too inconsistent to the point Willie decides Larry is the way to go---fail
2. Zion once again cannot be healthy when needed most--fail

Fix the big rotation and find a dynamic scorer who can fill in when Zion goes down.

You can't build a team around one player. They need Zion to develop his game rather than trying to field a team full of shooters. You need to field a team full of multi-faceted basketball players. Especially ones that can self create.

As for who will be traded. JV is pretty obvious. BI is unlikely.
Agreed, but we can't trade JV. He is not available for trade.

I didn't think JV was likely to be allowed to go into FA for a good while but the more Willie played small ball, the more obvious it became. We are going to be pretty bare at the 5, so I sure hope Griff has something in mind. I'd love to see us obtain Jarrett Allen from Cleveland. He is not a typical 5 (only 6' 9"), but he is a perfect fit with our small lineup. Comes in at a fairly hefty 245 so he can bully under the rim. Chances are pretty damn slim but it is that type of player we need.

Nope. Logically, he's here for awhile. He signed that contract extension during the season. He'll be here for awhile - at least (barring a complete bust by the team) next season. Maybe 2.
They really can easily afford to fire him. I don't understand any groupthink that they can't. It's just they are ridiculous cheap. Benson just got an $18 million check for tax dodging

Last edited:
They really can easily afford to fire him. I don't understand any groupthink that they can't. It's just they are ridiculous cheap. Benson just got an $18 million check for tax dodging
Actually, I agree with the main premise in your post - they can easily afford to fire him. That's not the issue I was trying to address. It's not about the money.

The fact that they gave Willie an extension before they saw what would happen at the end of the season speaks volumes. It shows that they felt he deserved that extension for work already done and, no matter the outcome of the season, that they had enough confidence in him going forward to keep him at the helm for at least the next couple of years.

Remember, this is the Benson org. Historically, they tend to not make hasty reactions to staff performance and believe in letting their leaders grow in their jobs. If you see someone in the staff get an extension it means that they are satisfied in the job they are doing and are going to let them continue to grow.

Last edited:
While true, I'm really not going to harp on this with him this season. He balled out this season when others flaked out.

Agreed, but what's it matter if he's not available for the post season? This is the second time he's ruined any chance this team had at advancing in the playoffs. The same could be said for CJ. Great in the regular season, but turns into Houston-era James Harden when the playoffs arrive.

He probably won't be moved in at all till Draft night

"If the Pelicans and Ingram can’t get an extension done, the team likely will trade him. They can’t risk going into the 2024-25 season with Ingram on an expiring contract.

The Pelicans had contact with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Atlanta Hawks before the trade deadline in February. Don’t be surprised if those talks pick back up."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom