Blameless Players? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I wasn't around this board until about a year and a half ago, so please help. Was everyone placing the blame everywhere else when Aaron Brooks had a bad game? I'm not bashing A.B. but I think it's pretty obvious Brees is a better quarterback, maybe not a better playmaker. The guy makes incredible decisions, I've seen him tell people where to line up, he manages the clock better, and he takes responsibility for bad plays. I know that qb's get too much credit when the team wins and too much credit when the team loses. The reason I bring this up is that it appears that most falcon fans believe the only reason they are losing is everything else but Mike Vick. Let me be clear, I don't think Vick is the only reason they are losing, but he must share in some blame. I've never heard people cry more about wide receiver drops than these people. Drops are a part of football. Even the best receivers drop passes. Seems to me most message boards are made up of extreme fans. One side hates a player, and the other defends him by criticizing his supporting cast. You can even see it here with the criticizms of Reggie. Everyone has a right to expect more from Reggie, but you have to realize his value to this team. In time, I believe he will be a great player, I don't believe the same about Ron Mexico. Here's to four more coaching staffs and another ten years of VIck.

Pains me to say it, but excuses are already formulating for Reggie. Above all else, I hope he outperforms any need for excuses, but if he fluctuates I don't want it to be where both sides get too polarized. You'll have people quick to point out every Reggie Bush forward play, and people quick to point out every bad play. That kind of infighting will reduce our credibility as a reputable fanbase. I came here (just joined on Sunday, in fact, I've been racking up the posts) because as a distant fan, I NEED to see how the reputable fans are thinking. If it gets out of hand, that won't be good.

I agree with you Vick had two costly turnovers yesterday, and yes he is to blame for those..

But to PROVE to you all that he had some incredible drops here is a quote from a DETROIT article that was posted on the AF board.

The GOATS

FALCONS WRs

They, including Ashley Lelie, above, helped contain Michael Vick by dropping close to 10 passes. But it was brutal downfield, with the officials' let 'em play attitude.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061106/SPORTS01/611060350/1049

Two of these drops were on third downs, which means they ended drives with punts instead of continuing with a first down. I'm talking right in their chest, they showed Crumpler's on ESPN. This, put our horrid defense BACK on the field who in turn gave up 500 yards of offense to the 1-6 Detroit Lions, horrible..

I wasn't around this board until about a year and a half ago, so please help. Was everyone placing the blame everywhere else when Aaron Brooks had a bad game? I'm not bashing A.B. but I think it's pretty obvious Brees is a better quarterback, maybe not a better playmaker. The guy makes incredible decisions, I've seen him tell people where to line up, he manages the clock better, and he takes responsibility for bad plays. I know that qb's get too much credit when the team wins and too much credit when the team loses. The reason I bring this up is that it appears that most falcon fans believe the only reason they are losing is everything else but Mike Vick. Let me be clear, I don't think Vick is the only reason they are losing, but he must share in some blame. I've never heard people cry more about wide receiver drops than these people. Drops are a part of football. Even the best receivers drop passes. Seems to me most message boards are made up of extreme fans. One side hates a player, and the other defends him by criticizing his supporting cast. You can even see it here with the criticizms of Reggie. Everyone has a right to expect more from Reggie, but you have to realize his value to this team. In time, I believe he will be a great player, I don't believe the same about Ron Mexico. Here's to four more coaching staffs and another ten years of VIck.

I think that the media has a huge role in this. A lot of fans just want someone to brag about. A lot of fans are searching for a player that can line up and practically guarantee a win. But more than not, fans want someone they can thump thier own chest over.

When the sports press jumps all on a players bandwagon you see what you see in Atlanta, fans who see a player who can do no wrong. (p.s.. atlanta fans, when your receivers start dropping passes, they aren't sold on your qb.......just ask brooks) When the sports press piles onto a player, some fans feel embarassed and turn on that player, because they (the fan) lose that sense of pride. Meanwhile we have to understand thatt it would be practically impossible for the controversy driven (t.o. story anyone??) sports press to even allow reggie and colston to coexist. It saddens me how much fans can reflect the attitudes of ESPN. Or evven take analagies out of context. But wouldn't it make a lot of saints fans lives a lot easier if they could just brag about reggie?

I agree with you Vick had two costly turnovers yesterday, and yes he is to blame for those..

But to PROVE to you all that he had some incredible drops here is a quote from a DETROIT article that was posted on the AF board.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061106/SPORTS01/611060350/1049

Two of these drops were on third downs, which means they ended drives with punts instead of continuing with a first down. I'm talking right in their chest, they showed Crumpler's on ESPN. This, put our horrid defense BACK on the field who in turn gave up 500 yards of offense to the 1-6 Detroit Lions, horrible..

Falcs....we watched it all with Aaron, who was a better passer than Vick ever will be. When a team stops performing up to thier abilities for a QB. They just aren't sold on the guy. A lot of people spend a lot of time making excuses for the poor qb, buut the end result is that he is failing as a qb. especially in a leadership role. You can look at players like Brady, no player wants to let the guy down. Vick? apparently the team has no problem letting him down. And, he in return has no problem returning the favor. There is a reason for what is happening in Atlanta.......the more excuses you have to make for your QB, the more likely it is that the guy is losing his team.

I like that analogy to Brady. I think he is a great qb, but the media was out of control when branch left. They were even bringing up his body language. That's ridiculous, the guy is a football player, even more importantly a superbowl champion. To respond to you falcfan, I know those drops were on critical downs, but realize, there is no stat for receivers making catches over their heads, behind their backs, or at their feet. Football plays even out. Sometimes the qb makes good plays, sometimes the receiver makes the qb look good. A five yard pass goes down in the books as a 60 yard td pass as long as the receiver takes it to the house. Football is a team game. With special teams, 33 or more people share in a win or loss.

I still believe that it was all Jim Haslett.... if ya cant coach them...... then you can still loose with a talented team..... or a great team...... ask the US Olympic team.....

However, if our defense played anywhere near like there playing this year a couple of years ago then, we would have made the playoffs..... especially when Brooks and Co. were like 8th in the league in offense.....

Saints junkie, not that I don't think Brees can make better plays than Ab, but ab probably has more physical talent than brees. If nothing else, he is taller and won't get his passes batted down. I'm only 34, but I've never seen a Saints qb more in command of an offense than Brees. It really is a pleasure to watch the saints, and that includes their two losses. This team never gave up, and with the exception of all the penalties against the ravens, I can't ever remember a better first half. What I hope this board doesnt turn into is that if the Saints go 2-6 the rest of the way, everyone looks for blame. Remember this is Paytons first draft and first year. We are on the right track. I think we have the right personnel, and rest assured you will see even more changes over the off season. It's good to see accountability is a priority in this organization.

not true, everyone in Atlanta on the team gets along with Vick very well. I agree he makes mistakes (who doesn't) I'm not taking away from that, but he had 2 straight great games passing. And his accuracy didn't fall off at all this last game, it was proved in the article I posted.

Please quit comparing Brooks and Vick! How many times did Brooks make the playoffs? NFCCG with a less talented roster than y'all had those years? MVP candidate? Pro-Bowls?

No comparison other than they are cousins..

Hey man, I don't know if your post is directed at me, but I never compared Brooks to Vick. For your sake, I hope VIck is better than Brooks. But Ab did win the only Saints playoff game, so that's where all the love comes from. Falcon fans are in the same position that LSU fans are in. Some love Vick, some love Schaub. The only problem is that the majority say don't judge Vick on his stats, judge him on his wins. Well, when he doesn't play well and he loses, he has to take the blame. Like I said earlier, football is a team game, but when a player gets the majority of the credit when you win, he should be ready to take the responsibility when they lose. Comes with the territory.

I completely understand that, and I do blame him I've already said that.

But that doesn't take away from all of our drops and the fact that our defense gave up 500 yards to the 1-6 Detroit Lions, which is HORRENDOUS.

I blamed the idiot Haslett first then Brooks. Haslett stole the saints from the team and the fans. He was as much an outsider who did not fit into New Orleans as you could ever find and he was an DUMB HC. He is an arrogant YANKEE who thought southerners were dumb and he was god.

Blake should have retained his starting job in 2001 and Brooks should have been benched for his shoulder injury in 2002. both seaons the saints could have made the playoffs if not for the idiot haslett.

Blake should have retained his starting job in 2001 and Brooks should have been benched for his shoulder injury in 2002. both seaons the saints could have made the playoffs if not for the idiot haslett.

Blake should have at least got a shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom