Books everyone loved—but you (1 Viewer)

Sandman

Kind of Messed Up
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ever had a book that everyone you knew said “you have to read this book” but you ended up hating it?

For me, it was Confederacy of Dunces. All I heard was how funny Ignatius was. I hated the character and the book. He was just annoying to me.

Ever had a book that everyone you knew said “you have to read this book” but you ended up hating it?

For me, it was Confederacy of Dunces. All I heard was how funny Ignatius was. I hated the character and the book. He was just annoying to me.

Lol! I saw the thread title and clicked on to post Confederacy of Dunces... i didnt actually hate it, but like the thread title says, everyone seemed to *love* it , but me... I read it in college and i didnt get the big deal, still dont.. i used to think that it was because , as a NOLA native, Ignatius to me didnt seem to be that unusual or outrageous .. then again, i know lots of locals who love the book, so I’m really not sure .

Man I was so excited until I saw the -but you part. I love em all. Reading has been the one most amazing thing in my entire life. Such adventures.

Man I was so excited until I saw the -but you part. I love em all. Reading has been the one most amazing thing in my entire life. Such adventures.

Love it. Reading was one of the things that helped me connect with my daughter. I am even giving a try at writing now. It is slow going because of work and life, but I have some stories to tell. They will probably suck, but I will write them nonetheless.

Love it. Reading was one of the things that helped me connect with my daughter. I am even giving a try at writing now. It is slow going because of work and life, but I have some stories to tell. They will probably suck, but I will write them nonetheless.

That is awesome and they won’t suck. Judging by your posts over the years and knowing your profession you’re a smart cookie.

I’m glad it helped you connect with your daughter too. When I answered that I’ve loved them all, it’s true. Heck, I used to read the dictionary and thesaurus when had down time. I have been around the world and into the stars in my mind, thanks to the wonder and awe provided by Authors and their work. The only thing that stopped me was my sight. Used to read 1,000 pages in two days. Ahh the good old days!

Sorry for the ramble, this post is just about my first and largest love. ❤️

I will try to put a Humperdoo character into one of my stories.

Does anyone else find that, with the advent of the internet/phones/social media etc that you read fewer books and novels? I guess it’s an attention span thing, but when i was coming up, i was an avid reader and , even as a young adult i read for pleasure a lot.. however in the last 10 or 15 years , i cant tell you when i’ve actually picked up a book and read the entire thing .. i think i’ve Just gotten used to digesting articles and stories in small bites, or watching a 15 minute episode of Comedians in Cars or something.. come to think of it, i dont sit through entire movies nearly as much as i used to either.

I love to read, but I could never get through:

Jane Eyre
Watership Down

Yes I know they are beloved classics, but I stopped in the middle of both and I've barely read a book I didn't like in some way.

Others that I have finished, but didn't quite care for as much as their hype:

The Great Gatsby
Brave New World

Again, I know people love these books, some even consider Gatsby to be one of the best, but it was meh to me.

I love to read, but I could never get through:

Jane Eyre
Watership Down

Yes I know they are beloved classics, but I stopped in the middle of both and I've barely read a book I didn't like in some way.

Others that I have finished, but didn't quite care for as much as their hype:

The Great Gatsby
Brave New World

Again, I know people love these books, some even consider Gatsby to be one of the best, but it was meh to me.

I really liked Jane Eyre. I also liked Watership Down.

I didn’t like The Great Gatsby, but I really don’t like the self-loathing writing of that period.

Does anyone else find that, with the advent of the internet/phones/social media etc that you read fewer books and novels? I guess it’s an attention span thing, but when i was coming up, i was an avid reader and , even as a young adult i read for pleasure a lot.. however in the last 10 or 15 years , i cant tell you when i’ve actually picked up a book and read the entire thing .. i think i’ve Just gotten used to digesting articles and stories in small bites, or watching a 15 minute episode of Comedians in Cars or something.. come to think of it, i dont sit through entire movies nearly as much as i used to either.
Life gets in the way. I do audio books as well as books on my Kindle. The audio books are good for my commute—which is long. Kindle is good for when I get home. Between the two, I knock out a fair amount of books (over 40 this year).

I’m working a book out conceptually myself. Nonfiction. I’ve thought through some good stories but don’t think I would be an exceptional story teller.

Some books I didn’t not hold in high regard as many did.

Many classics like:

Catcher in the Rye
Gatsby
Of Mice and Men

More recently:

Life of Pi
The Book Thief.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom