Brees on Winston long TD (1 Viewer)

Good sport about it. I love that guy. The hair piece gotta go tho.
Yes, we gotta love Brees for all he did both on & off the field in behalf of the team & the community. In the context of his comment last night he was taking on the role of being a 'good sport' regarding his diminishing physical abilities. Drew certainly knows that Jameis has a bigger arm than he does and will be able to toss such bombs with much more regularity. It was clear that Brees was being a bit tongue-in-cheek at his own expense during that comment of the long TD play to Harris. He even said that he was making the statement before the other commentators did.

The fact is that Jameis & Drew are two different styles of QB... and age/physicality is just one of the reasons for that. Drew won us a lot of games with his knowledge & command of the game. Last year's playoff loss to the Bucs had as much to do with breakdowns from other players than it did with Drew. Missing our shot at the Big Dance the last half dozen years or so certainly wasn't all on Drew. Jameis is off to a wonderful start and the excitement that's building for watching his style of play is especially encouraging for Saints fans during these difficult times in and around the Big Easy.

But Winston hasn't taken us anywhere yet. I think he can, and I think he will. But it is also possible that the same issues that interrupted our march to the Superbowl in the last decade could affect Winston's efforts as well. I love the look of the 'new' Saints offense. But football is still a team game that requires great things from a lot of players in order to be successful. I hope all the pieces will be here for Winston for as long as we wish to keep him in a Saints uniform.

Were the last few seasons for #9 as good as he ever performed? Of course not. But I sure hope that any success our team has in the future will never be interpreted by Saints fans as being the result of 'finally getting rid of Drew Brees'. No matter how this season turns out, such a conclusion would simply be wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom