YouTube Bret Kollman's take on Khristian Boyd (1 Viewer)

Whodat GT

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Another great scouting report on a draft pick: this time, Khristian Boyd - (DT Northern Iowa). Starts at the 51:35 mark.

Notes:

- Best value pick for the Saints.
- Visited entire league.
- Dominated the Shrine Bowl.
- Tons of power at 6'2 325 pounds. Is a Nose tackle but he is more than that. He can hold up against double teams, can dominate guards 1 on 1.
- Also a good pass rusher: legitimate pass rush moves. Good feet, good hips, one of the better interior pass rushers in Shrine Bowl week.
-Positional versatility.
- He could play from true 0 to 3 tech.

I'm weirdly hyped to see him playing 0-tech next to Bresee. I think he'll be starting next to Bresee by mid-season.
I don't have my hopes up. I think, when you look at the body type...there weren't many NT's in this draft. You had him, Sweat, and maybe 1 or 2 others?!?! The 2025 draft is littered with them. If he pans out great, but if he doesn't I don't doubt they'll be able to find a guy next year...especially if Saunders continues to be underwhelming. Notice they didn't extend his contract, meaning they didn't want to allocate resources to him anymore than they already had, meanwhile we did move around some money for Nathan Shepherd who had a much more solid year.

Now what does have me hype about him, is I watched his post draft interview, and he seems to understand the nature of the business. How battling against grown men trying to pay their mortgage and feed their kids, changes thing and makes it more intense. So he comes in having an understanding of what it will take, that's invaluable to me.

Short arms, level of competition if I had to guess.

Here is a short film breakdown:

If he is as good as that analysis shows and the great demand on DTs, why was he still available so late?
I think it was due to level of competition, where they had him ranked and what round they had him graded to being drafted. It depends on how many teams were in the market for a NT type. It could be a number of reasons. I know the Saints have been needing one for some time now and we may have gotten good value and a good player with Boyd.

I'm excited about him. He did 38 reps and has good quickness, so the coaches have something to work with. He's behind the 8 ball with his lack of length, so his conditioning will be very important.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom