Buying a new DSLR.Need advice. (1 Viewer)

*_deuce_*

Keeping the Faith
Reaction score
I`m looking to get into a new Camera and have been looking at a couple of DSLR`s that seem pretty good from the reviews I have been looking at.
My camera now is a point and shoot Fuji s1800 which has great and super zoom,but I think its time to get a lil more serious.

These are the two Camera`s I have narrowed it down to.Can anyone offer any advice on which one might be a better buy.

NIKON D5100

or

Canon 18MP EOS Rebel T3i 18-55mm

Let me say this,,
Most of the shots I`ll be doin are daytime,some sports(for my godchild soccer).And I`m not really to worried about the Video Quality of the Camera(I have a HD Video Camera for that).
I just wanna really take good quality pics,maybe if needed with an additional lens as well.
Thanks for any help.:9:

Either one will give you some great pictures. (Not much help, eh?)

Seriously, make sure you try them out at whatever stores you are looking at them. Try the feel, where the buttons are, fire off a few shots, see what you think.

I've been using Canon for a while, so that's where my money is.

I'd look at getting a lens with a little more reach for shooting soccer games. Canon has a 55-250 lens that won't break the bank. Get a monopod to help you with shooting those games.

Take lots of pictures, take a photography class, enjoy!!!!

I`m looking to get into a new Camera and have been looking at a couple of DSLR`s that seem pretty good from the reviews I have been looking at.
My camera now is a point and shoot Fuji s1800 which has great and super zoom,but I think its time to get a lil more serious.

These are the two Camera`s I have narrowed it down to.Can anyone offer any advice on which one might be a better buy.

NIKON D5100

or

Canon 18MP EOS Rebel T3i 18-55mm

Let me say this,,
Most of the shots I`ll be doin are daytime,some sports(for my godchild soccer).And I`m not really to worried about the Video Quality of the Camera(I have a HD Video Camera for that).
I just wanna really take good quality pics,maybe if needed with an additional lens as well.
Thanks for any help.:9:

Can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon really. If you really don't need or want video, you can get a cheaper body (like a Canon 40D) for much less and put your money into better lenses. I just want to let you know that's a good option since I sold my first DSLR within a year of getting it, then bought a better used camera/nice lenses. :)

I have the nikon and like it very much.

Both are good camera's though. A lot will depend on the lens though. Good lenses are expensive.

You're going to have to try them out though. A lot depends on how it fits your hand. Also the features offered are important: hd movies, matriculating lcd, in camera editing, battery life,...

The Rebel line is a really good start for a DSLR, however; like any camera it is only as good as the lens you use. I have the Rebel, when I use the stock lens the quality is pretty good, when i use either of the two higher grade lens the pictures are fabulous. Do yourself a favor; invest in a good adjustable flash for indoors, the payback in quality is worth it.

I've had the T2i since last fall, and I love it. Does a great job with photos (as someone else said, the lens is crucial), and a pretty good job with video as well (if you don't pan too quickly--"rolling shutter" is a problem for DSLR video).

I'd second the motion to get a good flash, and if you plan on doing any kind of portrait photography, also pick up the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. You should be able to get one for around $100.

One other suggestion that I always make to anyone who's thinking about investing in a camera...pick up a copy of Brian Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure."

I work Asset Protection at Best Buy and my co workers that are into photography have all purchased the Nikon D5100. I also see it purchased by customers more often than the Rebel/T2i. But as a previous poster said, Canon and Nikon make great cameras.

The photos I've seen taken with the Nikon D5100 all look fantastic. I wish I could give more help with technical answers but not my department.

I echo most of the advice you've had so far. The D5100 has a bit of an edge on the T3i (T4i perhaps not so much), but not enough to rule out the T3i if you prefer the feel. Investing less in the body (entry level or used/refurb prosumer) and more in the glass is a wise move. You'll definitely need more reach than 55mm if you want to do sports photography. You'll also want to upgrade any kit lens down the road.

I highly suggest reading up at Photography on the Net (Canon) and Nikonians (Nikon) prior to making any camera related decisions.

Also the features offered are important: hd movies, matriculating lcd, in camera editing, battery life,...

Few can afford a college educated camera.

I'm pretty new in the DSLR world too.

If you don't have anything invested in flashes or lenses, then it is really a toss-up between Nikon and Canon. Ultimately the biggest difference between the two are just ergonomics. Comparable cameras produce comparable images.

Go down to Best Buy or a local camera store and play around with the two brands to see what feels the most natural.

I went with Nikon and I'm happy with my purchase -- but I could've just as easily gone Canon and probably would have been just as happy. I got a great deal on a used Nikon, which is ultimately what did it for me.

Some great advice in here. I have a T3i and have enjoyed my photos immensely.

Not to have your head spinning (getting photography advice can become confusing) but I would recommend purchasing most of your camera gear on that Canon website Severum posted: Photography on the Net

Members there take care of their used equipment and sell them for alot less than if you were to purchase at Best Buy.

Another purchase that's a must IMO is post processing software. Since you're moving up from a point-and-shoot camera, your PP skills need to also take a step up. Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference. Aperture 3 & Adobe Lightroom 4 are two great programs to give your photos that "WOW" factor.

Some great advice in here. I have a T3i and have enjoyed my photos immensely.

Not to have your head spinning (getting photography advice can become confusing) but I would recommend purchasing most of your camera gear on that Canon website Severum posted: Photography on the Net

Members there take care of their used equipment and sell them for alot less than if you were to purchase at Best Buy.

Another purchase that's a must IMO is post processing software. Since you're moving up from a point-and-shoot camera, your PP skills need to also take a step up. Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference. Aperture 3 & Adobe Lightroom 4 are two great programs to give your photos that "WOW" factor.

Agreed with the Photography-on-the.net recommendation. Bought my 5D, 35L + 135L there. You can find some really good deals.

I have a T1i and I love it. T3i sounds fantastic. My recommendation if you can afford it is to buy just the camera body and the best lens you can afford. The lens that comes with the camera is mediocre at best. I have the Tamron 18-270 and hardly ever use anything else. The motion stabilizer is great.

Do some research on low light capabilities and pixel count. When i was shopping Nikon had the definite advantage in low light. (How high you can set the ISO before you get a light of noise.) Canon had the higher pixel count. From what I read about the T3i Canon has closed the gap in the low light category.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom