Calijah Kancey needs to play defensive end. (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread and then realized it was an RSS news feed thread not a forum one. So I will start one, because a player this talented shouldn’t be position-less. The Saints love big defensive ENDS but they’re usually slow and lack explosivenesses. I remember watching Payton Turner’s workouts and he timed really well but it didn’t show up on tape. Kancey has the moves and burst that’s rare for any lineman. He wears his weight well. Suggesting he has a good ratio of lean muscle to body fat percentage.

Kancey is playing the wrong position. He needs to be a defensive end. Yeah he doesn’t have the prototypical length but he has the tools to make up for it. I would draft him in the first but then put him at defensive end. He gets washed out in the run game on the interior. Playing the edge in the run game is different, it’s not about sheer strength. He may be 280 lbs at 6010 but he’s a lean 280 still. He just looks small as an interior lineman. Even Wareen Sapp who was small looked big.

He has pass rush moves and creativity. He just needs to play on the edge and look like a Reggie White big DE.

I don’t want this thread to be about a mock draft but here’s an example of how we can draft it Kancey fell to us. It’s going to take a staff with imagination to get the most out of Kancey. He’s not Donald. Donald is just pure disruption and I don’t see that from Kancey. He is opportunistic but he’s not going to take over games.

We could pick up another high RAS interior defender to play inside and move Kancey outside.

Yeah and if more than one falls then go ahead and take another.

Last edited:
This is how Ed Oliver, another undersized DT plays the run. It takes pre snap play recognition and communication.

Yeah they’re the same player! Adetomiwa is faster so you have a point. It comes down to skill at that point.

I think Kancey can be an immediate contributor as a 3-tech pass rusher for the team that drafts him, he can get on the field on passing downs and in the two minute drill. His arms are short for an edge, if tackles get their hands on him he isn’t going anywhere.

Adetomiwa has longer arms, at 33 7/8” versus 30 5/8” for Kancey, and one knock on Adetomiwa in his pre draft profile is lack of length for an edge.

FWIW, Reggie White had 33 1/4” arms.

Yeah I think y’all are right. I think he’s going to be too limited in the NFL. I wouldn’t draft him as a 3 tech even because he’s really going to have to be limited to pass rush. And I wonder if his limitations would put stress on linebackers and then PA pass is just too easy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom