CHERNOBYL (1 Viewer)

Just happened to watch a documentary on Chernobyl last night. Did not know they had started other reactors in the same power station after the meltdown. Was not an accident that caused the meltdown, they were experimenting with some emergency shutdown maneuvers and got things too hot.

I've got a strange fascination with Chernobyl. I've read several books on the event and have two or three more waiting to be read. Even knowing the root causes behind the disaster, it still seems mind-boggling that it happened and the fact that they had no idea of the severity at the time.

I was a young Airman stationed at Carswell AFB at the time. Before the severity of the situation was fully publicized, we launched a B-52 with a “Giant Fish” pod in the bomb bay. They flew a high altitude mission (not sure were) and landed hot. After enough time elapsed, the data and crew were taken away and the aircraft was washed.
That’s when most of us realized that it was bad. The next few days is when the world found out.

Just happened to watch a documentary on Chernobyl last night. Did not know they had started other reactors in the same power station after the meltdown. Was not an accident that caused the meltdown, they were experimenting with some emergency shutdown maneuvers and got things too hot.

Not emergency shutdown maneuvers, they were experimenting with new cold startup experiments that they had to disable the safety procedures to do. It was not an accident, it was criminal negligence.

There's also an interesting doc about deployment of the sarcophagus. It weighed too much for bearing wheels so it was "slid" into position on Teflon pads.

Nuclear power it's not so clean after all is it?

Chernobyl and Fukushima were mentioned, but did anyone hear that the San Onofre Nuclear plants were shut down because of a leak?

Fukushima scares me most. They still don’t have that situation under control and high levels of radioactive poisons are appearing in Pacific caught food. I keep eating at Captain D’s bc I have pushed that out of my mind. D’oh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom