Class action lawsuit filed over NFL Sunday ticket (2 Viewers)

Love the service on You tube TV. I paid early last season and this season to save $100, plus they let you pay it out if you like in installments of $78 (approximately) a month for 4 months. My numbers could be off, but with the proliferation of Smart TV's and Fiber internet....it's the way of the future. I get that it's a lot of money. The only problem I have with the way the NFL runs the broadcasting rights is the way blackouts are applied at times. Oh, and I just hope that Goodell gets dealt with by having a great unclean one sit on his face.
The blackouts are because a broadcast station in that area is showing the game. Under FCC regulations DTVV or now You Tube cannot have that game on the Ticket. It is not the NFL that makes the decision.

No Sunday Ticket subscriber is getting a dime from this. This has been attempted several times.

The blackouts are because a broadcast station in that area is showing the game. Under FCC regulations DTVV or now You Tube cannot have that game on the Ticket. It is not the NFL that makes the decision.

Is that FCC or is it the way the contract rights are set-up?

I always thought that the Ticket can't show the games on the subscriber's local TV network broadcasts because those broadcasts are covered under the NFL's main, primary network broadcast rights package that CBS and FOX have paid handsomely for and that local viewers can receive through either a tv provider or even over the air.

The Sunday Ticket is only for "out of market" games, and the rights package expressly prohibits the Ticket package from including the games that are on the subscriber's local market tv . . . so Sunday Ticket is contractually obligated to "black out" those games - meaning that you can't watch them on the Ticket because you're supposed to be watching it on your local network feed.

I didn't think the FCC had anything to do with it, but I haven't really researched that.

Is that FCC or is it the way the contract rights are set-up?

I always thought that the Ticket can't show the games on the subscriber's local TV network broadcasts because those broadcasts are covered under the NFL's main, primary network broadcast rights package that CBS and FOX have paid handsomely for and that local viewers can receive through either a tv provider or even over the air.

The Sunday Ticket is only for "out of market" games, and the rights package expressly prohibits the Ticket package from including the games that are on the subscriber's local market tv . . . so Sunday Ticket is contractually obligated to "black out" those games - meaning that you can't watch them on the Ticket because you're supposed to be watching it on your local network feed.

I didn't think the FCC had anything to do with it, but I haven't really researched that.
FCC regulation that the NFL puts into the contract. It is there to protect the OTA Broadcasters and there commercial sales.

I have always believed that the NFL could have made a lot more by allowing all 3 Satellite Company's (DTV, Echo Star t(now called Dish) and Prime Star) and any cable company to offer the package. Instead of a flat fee to each charge a fee per customer much like what those companies pay the provider of all their other channels.

I haven't paid to watch a single game on tv in 10 years. And I don't intend to change that. There is always a way.
I never have paid and have never used an illegal stream.

Love the service on You tube TV. I paid early last season and this season to save $100, plus they let you pay it out if you like in installments of $78 (approximately) a month for 4 months. My numbers could be off, but with the proliferation of Smart TV's and Fiber internet....it's the way of the future. I get that it's a lot of money. The only problem I have with the way the NFL runs the broadcasting rights is the way blackouts are applied at times. Oh, and I just hope that Goodell gets dealt with by having a great unclean one sit on his face.
What do you mean "last season and this season to save $100"? I understand about last season. I was already YouTube tv subscriber and got the $100 off. I'm still a subscriber, but so far I've seen nothing from YouTube about 2024 NFL ticket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom