Confidence level with Jamies Winston? (1 Viewer)

If we are to be honest none of us quite know what to expect from Winston. He has never shown consistency over a season and last year was really restrained. I want to see him turned loose. You can't draw any conclusions from training camp for him. The story will be written once the season starts.
That approach really doesn't make sense for the 2022 Saints. The team was 5-2 last year with the "restrained" approach. Winston gets in trouble when he feels the need to play hero ball. Now, in Tampa he showed that he can do it if necessary. But with a top 5 defense and all the offensive and special teams weaponry that the 2022 Saints have on board, a restrained, ball control, taking what the defense gives you approach, is the winning formula for this team. Save the wide open hero ball for the occasional last minute drive that warrants it. Otherwise, Jameis should keep it buttoned up and not turn the ball over, just like last year.

Be careful for what you wish for as you might not get what you expect.

I bet you thought that 9-0 win over Tampa last year was a nothingburger. But to me it was a thing of beauty to behold. All Jameis needs to be is the QB that doesn't screw it up.

SFIAH

That approach really doesn't make sense for the 2022 Saints. The team was 5-2 last year with the "restrained" approach. Winston gets in trouble when he feels the need to play hero ball. Now, in Tampa he showed that he can do it if necessary. But with a top 5 defense and all the offensive weaponry that the 2022 Saints have on board, a restrained, ball control, taking what the defense gives you approach, is the winning formula for this team. Save the wide open hero ball for the occasional last minute drive that warrants it. Otherwise, Jameis should keep it buttoned up and not turn the ball over, just like last year.

Be careful for what you wish for as you might not get what you expect.

SFIAH
Nope...I want to sling that ish....We've played boringball too long. We have the weapons, we have the means to hit them wherever they are on the field. I'm not saying go full on "no risk it"....but I'm not interested in watching an onslaught of 4yd outs, 6yd curls, and 3rd and 8 screens.

I have as much confidence in Winston as the organization that signed their starting quarterback to a two year 22-million-dollar contract.
*Two years $28 million with $21 million guaranteed, to be precise

(Feel just a little more confident now don't you? lol)

Nope...I want to sling that ish....We've played boringball too long. We have the weapons, we have the means to hit them wherever they are on the field. I'm not saying go full on "no risk it"....but I'm not interested in watching an onslaught of 4yd outs, 6yd curls, and 3rd and 8 screens.
I agree, Winston is at his best throwing the ball around. Jamies wasn't a long ball thrower at Tampa till Ariens showed up and forced the issue. And Winston learned from his INTs and became a very effective long ball thrower.

Not just the bombs to Harty. He is better at pushing the ball down field in a way, we Saints fans haven't seen in the last 6yrs. Jamies's YPC is going to be much higher. Coach Pete isn't going to dink and dunk with Winston. Our run game isn't what it should be. So I expect the Saints to take shots down field to keep the DBs honest, and keep them out of run support.

Jamies full season 24 TD 10 int or 48 TD 20 INT over a full which would you take for next season.

I agree, Winston is at his best throwing the ball around. Jamies wasn't a long ball thrower at Tampa till Ariens showed up and forced the issue. And Winston learned from his INTs and became a very effective long ball thrower.

Not just the bombs to Harty. He is better at pushing the ball down field in a way, we Saints fans haven't seen in the last 6yrs. Jamies's YPC is going to be much higher. Coach Pete isn't going to dink and dunk with Winston. Our run game isn't what it should be. So I expect the Saints to take shots down field to keep the DBs honest, and keep them out of run support.
All of this is still tied to good decision making and taking what the defense makes available. If Winston makes the mistake of continuing to air the ball out when the gimmes underneath are wide open just because he can push the ball down the field, that's a strategic error. The Saints generally run a multi-layered flooded concept with long, intermediate, and short options available. If the long ball is open, then it's fine to take it. However, forcing that ball when it's not there isn't smart. Jameis has learned that taking one of the other options, or even running the ball if all are covered, is a smarter move.

You can see examples of this in Sean Fazende's analysis here:

Both examples show the flooded concept and pinning the single high safety into choosing. But if the safety goes with the long receiver, Winston cannot throw that ball. Instead he has to take the intermediate throw.

All I'm saying is that airing it out for airing it out's sake isn't going to be winning football.

SFIAH

All of this is still tied to good decision making and taking what the defense makes available. If Winston makes the mistake of continuing to air the ball out when the gimmes underneath are wide open just because he can push the ball down the field, that's a strategic error. The Saints generally run a multi-layered flooded concept with long, intermediate, and short options available. If the long ball is open, then it's fine to take it. However, forcing that ball when it's not there isn't smart. Jameis has learned that taking one of the other options, or even running the ball if all are covered, is a smarter move.

You can see examples of this in Sean Fazende's analysis here:

Both examples show the flooded concept and pinning the single high safety into choosing. But if the safety goes with the long receiver, Winston cannot throw that ball. Instead he has to take the intermediate throw.

All I'm saying is that airing it out for airing it out's sake isn't going to be winning football.

SFIAH
Something that is often overlooked is the “airing the ball out” was core to the offense that he ran in Tampa. Nobody has thrown the ball longer as much as he has since coming into the league and that is by design. Plus with Tampa’s defense being one of the worst in the league, airing it out was a way of life. Lol

I just want Pete to cook up the offense we ran in 2011.

I'd like to wait until one preseason game to even have a thought of some kind of panic.

I have confidence that we’ll have the supporting cast that should set high standards for Winston. If he plays well…we have a franchise QB. If he doesn’t with these weapons…he’s gone.

I think he’ll be fine.

The only thing that might be concerning is, hearing camp highlights from Hebert, it literally sounds like Winston is getting picked off multiple times everyday.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that many times brought up when Brees was here

I think he’ll be fine.

The only thing that might be concerning is, hearing camp highlights from Hebert, it literally sounds like Winston is getting picked off multiple times everyday.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that many times brought up when Brees was here
Don't pay attention to Hebert...he has an agenda

We all want Winston to succeed. That being said, the last practices he’s continued to throw interceptions. Today back to back with a pic 6. While it is training camp, should there be any level of concern? Historically (with the exception of last year) interceptions were his achilles heel. It appears none of his throws have much zip on them (at times noticable as well last year)

Chalking this up as training camp?

C'MON DUDE, REALLY????

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom