COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (12 Viewers)

True, and that’s not a big surprise. However, not sure why they are using two examples from February/March when hardly any masks were used.
I am finding that some of the media are recycling stories and information from several months back to support sensationalist headlines. Of course COVID-19 is a serious threat, but can our popular media keep its eyes pointed forward, and stop trying elicit reactions?

I imagine not -- "reactions" equals "eyeballs", "clicks", and "advertising dollars".

I must admit, I thought stuff like this would move the needle a little more and that we'd be talking about shutting down schools again by now. I guess I underestimated just how little our country cares about death anymore though.

Without necessarily realizing it consciously, society is doing something of a cold calculus with schools opening and many other "back to normal" activities. The idea is that while there may not be a firm number of bad outcomes (most commonly, deaths) that are acceptable, that number is surely greater than zero. And incidents -- even deaths, and even the death of a small child -- that are beleived to be especially rare exceptions will not particularly move society's conceptual needle, for better or worse.

Whispers of more stimulus checks.

"However, there is now another package on the table. On Sept. 15, the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus (made up of 25 Democrats and 25 Republicans) stepped in and unveiled a proposal to inject up to $2 trillion in aid to the economy. The proposal includes many of the issues being negotiated including state and local aid, assistance for small businesses and schools, more jobless benefits and thankfully, another round of stimulus checks. The proposed amount is consistent with the original check: $1,200 direct payments to individuals under a certain income threshold, with an additional $500 per child.

What’s even better about this bipartisan proposal is that it includes not one, but two more rounds of stimulus checks. The third round of checks would be sent in March 2021, if economic circumstances warrant it."

I think another round of stimulus to everyone isn't as helpful as an additional stimulus to people who have lost jobs or had reduced hours. I also think additional stimulus to people who have lost their head of household (wage earner) to the virus. A lot of those people didn't have any or sufficient life insurance.

We need a more targetted approach. Economic shotgun blasts aren't going to fix what is wrong.

I think another round of stimulus to everyone isn't as helpful as an additional stimulus to people who have lost jobs or had reduced hours. I also think additional stimulus to people who have lost their head of household (wage earner) to the virus. A lot of those people didn't have any or sufficient life insurance.

We need a more targetted approach. Economic shotgun blasts aren't going to fix what is wrong.
I don't know how this can be mandated ... but a shotgun approach would be OK if there were some way to stipulate that the money couldn't put into a savings account, or couldn't be used to buy stocks, or things like that. WWL Radio, maybe a month or so ago, had some financial expert on with Tommy Tucker talking about how some huge percentage (over half) of the first round of stimulus money was simply banked away into savings (or similar). I didn't think the average American citizen was that comfortable financially to the point where the stimulus money was just play money, but apparently it was.

While agree with your premise, I think that drawing a line on who gets how much will prove to be very difficult to pull off, let alone everyone or even most agreeing on those parameters.

I don't know how this can be mandated ... but a shotgun approach would be OK if there were some way to stipulate that the money couldn't put into a savings account, or couldn't be used to buy stocks, or things like that. WWL Radio, maybe a month or so ago, had some financial expert on with Tommy Tucker talking about how some huge percentage (over half) of the first round of stimulus money was simply banked away into savings (or similar). I didn't think the average American citizen was that comfortable financially to the point where the stimulus money was just play money, but apparently it was.

Yeah, I dunno, I spent every last bit of mine. I guess everyone handles it differently. If I were to get another check, it goes straight to paying down the mountain of debt we have.

While agree with your premise, I think that drawing a line on who gets how much will prove to be very difficult to pull off, let alone everyone or even most agreeing on those parameters.

Oh, I agree. Heck, we can't get them to agree on what gauge shell should be used in the shotgun approach. A targetted approach is my own pipe dream.

Something else that I had thought would've been useful would have been a moratorium on certain kinds of financial transactions. No rent payments, no mortgage payments, no debt payments. And it wouldn't be made up later -- from the point of view of the creditors, that money would vanish into the ether, but they wouldn't have to pay THEIR debts to whoever.

On another message board, it was explained that this would be disastrous overall, that there was a trail of dominoes that ended in some essential things not getting funded, and the whole American financial system would just go kaplooey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom