COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This tweet confuses me.

The number of tests almost doubled in that time frame (there is another cold or allergies going around). The number of cases also doubled. So, seems to be they're going hand in hand.

That being said, certain areas are seeing more of a spike in Florida than others. Last I looked, it felt like the cities that didn't have an issue before, now are. So, lax behavior is catching up?

Dade and Broward both are increasing, but I still see strong mask usage. I'd be curious to know if they're tracing where these folks are catching it. Is it churches that finally reopened in limited capacity? Restaurants? Memorial day weekend activities? Protests? I think we'd only just be seeing the protest affect the numbers around now to this coming week.

We already are. Greg Abbott is doing the whole "The spikes in Texas are nothing to worry about, it's just nursing homes and prisons," as if it somehow just stays there and never moves to the broader community.
"We're just killing all of your grand parents and great grand parents. Keeping making us that tax money"

There won't be a shutdown, because our winner-take-all economy and society now has a huge underclass of people with very little cash in the bank and no meaningful access to quality and/or affordable healthcare unless they are a full-time employee somewhere, and then sometimes not there either.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed. But the situations has already declined so quickly in just a few weeks after reopenings that you've already got local officials in some cities and even the CDC saying if things keep on this trajectory it will be necessary again. The fact that that we're already hearing that and already seeing people in positions of power talking about how badly the populace is handling preventative measures is telling.

I don't think people fully understand what a full scale break in the healthcare system would do socially. It wouldn't be a debate at that point, there'd be no choice. We'd be Italy in March/April. It could, and very may well, still happen.

That would be a fair assessment except they weren't all at that phase of the meal - they just weren't interested at all in wearing a mask. I saw multiple tables sat while I waited . . . not a single mask.
I haven't been back to a sit down yet, but in south Florida, you're supposed to show up with your mask, and are only allowed to take it off when seated. Even then, if it were me, I'd only remove it to take a drink and eat. Then talk with it on. Last thing I want to do is "yell talk" without a mask and throw out even more spittle.

That’s what I’ve been wearing.
I haven’t because the only times I’m out in public are at the store (small town, low number of cases, few people at the store) or in settings where I’m so far apart I’m not worried about the added effectiveness. When/if I ever go back to work, it will be with an N95.

So, what's the over under on how long it will be before we have to shut down again because people are too stupid and selfish to wear a friggin mask?
There needs to be a strong messaging push that, the choice is wear a mask or shut down the economy again. Suddenly, you'll see where people really stand.

Increased testing is pretty much not a valid explanation for rising numbers anymore. It's increased community spread.
That's not what I was saying.. just when he said "not rising as high as..."

but, the %positive increasing, does show that there is more spread.

The reality is that testing increased, because there was another cold going around, allergies a thing lately, and doctors are more apt to just say "go get tested". So, I don't think the testing is exposing more cases (maybe some with little to no symptoms), but that new cases, and other colds, are driving up testing. But, both are increasing, and together.

That’s what I’ve been wearing.
I've been sticking to the Surgical masks, some cloth masks (for quick trips), and I now have some of those cloth masks with the P2.5 filters.

I need to run to the store to get some new surgical masks, and I think they sell some N95's too. But, kind of a rip off price.

That's not what I was saying.. just when he said "not rising as high as..."

but, the %positive increasing, does show that there is more spread.

The reality is that testing increased, because there was another cold going around, allergies a thing lately, and doctors are more apt to just say "go get tested". So, I don't think the testing is exposing more cases (maybe some with little to no symptoms), but that new cases, and other colds, are driving up testing. But, both are increasing, and together.

FWIW, Jeff Asher thinks that Florida is combining testing for the virus and antibody testing in the same numbers which inflates the number of tests and results in a lower positive rate than would be the case if they were just testing to see if people have COVID. No idea if he is right, but that's what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom