COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Florida is counting people that test positive for Covid-19 1 time no matter how many tests they take. Makes perfect sense.

Florida is counting people that test negative for Covid-19 each time they test negative and a lot of people in the state are getting multiple tests. This is clear manipulation of data to bring the percent of positive tests down. Apparently this is happening in numerous states. I still feel like I'm in some sort of twilight zone. Never imagined 6 months ago that this country could be this screwed up and that is coming from someone as cynical as it gets.

I guess my issue with all the fudged data that is going around, who benefits from the numbers being lower? Does the state of Florida get a medal if they are under a certain percentage? Are they afraid that if they accurately report the numbers, show transparency in how they are dealing with it and do their best to assure everyone is safe, that this will somehow stop people from later on showing up at DisneyWorld or the beaches? Is it purely political? We've gotta make sure that we look better than that red/blue state over there?

I still feel like I'm in some sort of twilight zone. Never imagined 6 months ago that this country could be this screwed up and that is coming from someone as cynical as it gets.
We're so screwed up, we've almost looped back around.

At the Audubon with the kids, it says face mask recommend when we got our tickets online. I only see 3 other persons with face masks on.

At the Audubon with the kids, it says face mask recommend when we got our tickets online. I only see 3 other persons with face masks on.

Yep. Same scene here. I think most citizens ignoring social distancing and PPE altogether was predictable enough, but folks may be in for a surprise as the virus surges and things have to close down again. I sure hope not, but..

I guess my issue with all the fudged data that is going around, who benefits from the numbers being lower? Does the state of Florida get a medal if they are under a certain percentage? Are they afraid that if they accurately report the numbers, show transparency in how they are dealing with it and do their best to assure everyone is safe, that this will somehow stop people from later on showing up at DisneyWorld or the beaches? Is it purely political? We've gotta make sure that we look better than that red/blue state over there?

That is the problem with this. The thing should be about beating the virus for all of us yet it is not.

Yes if the administration at the top said you have to count this way only we could have a much better idea of what is truly going on.

Taking the lead is hard for this administration.

But we are desperately in need of standards that way the data is easily read without research on who counts like a republican and who counts like a Dem and who comes up with their own way to count.

In short we need leadership and have since this started.

So Florida is counting people that test positive for Covid-19 1 time no matter how many tests they take. Makes perfect sense.

Florida is counting people that test negative for Covid-19 each time they test negative and a lot of people in the state are getting multiple tests. This is clear manipulation of data to bring the percent of positive tests down. Apparently this is happening in numerous states. I still feel like I'm in some sort of twilight zone. Never imagined 6 months ago that this country could be this screwed up and that is coming from someone as cynical as it gets.
That might be the central dispute she had with them. That makes more sense and I wish that's how they presented it.

However, you can't count 1 person as 3 positive tests (assuming you took 3 tests in a short time). but every time you're worried and get tested, it's a a test.

I'm not sure how you resolve that. I mean, if you tested negative this week, you can always catch it a week later. So, there will be duplicate testing.

I think it's just how it has to be.

However, what that means is that "positivity rate" isn't that meaningful, except for when it goes up, because that means, despite multiple testing, it is still growing.

That might be the central dispute she had with them. That makes more sense and I wish that's how they presented it.

However, you can't count 1 person as 3 positive tests (assuming you took 3 tests in a short time). but every time you're worried and get tested, it's a a test.

I'm not sure how you resolve that. I mean, if you tested negative this week, you can always catch it a week later. So, there will be duplicate testing.

I think it's just how it has to be.

However, what that means is that "positivity rate" isn't that meaningful, except for when it goes up, because that means, despite multiple testing, it is still growing.
That isn't the problem. It's not the small percent of people that getting tested 2-3 different times for being concerned over a long duration. It's the tens of thousands of workers across the state being tested every week to insure a safe work place. When they test negative 52 times in a year it's insane to count those towards negative tests.

This article is talking about it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleant...deaths-flu-deaths-jump-enormously-in-usa/amp/
The chart came from a retweet by Howard Dean.
I don't trust Howard Dean as a source.

There might be some issues with the data, but just because they're tracking Pneumonia and Flu deaths, doesn't mean they are or aren't also COVID-19 deaths.. usually any spike in that data is due to a epidemic or pandemic.

I think there is too much tea leaf reading there.

That isn't the problem. It's not the small percent of people that getting tested 2-3 different times for being concerned over a long duration. It's the tens of thousands of workers across the state being tested every week to insure a safe work place. When they test negative 52 times in a year it's insane to count those towards negative tests.
How else do you do it?

To try to track new tests, or "tested persons" might be too difficult.

I would just ignore that data as being not as useful as time goes on.

How else do you do it?

To try to track new tests, or "tested persons" might be too difficult.

I would just ignore that data as being not as useful as time goes on.
Except the CDC has repeatedly said that percentage of positive cases is one of the key indicators when looking at data and most Governments based reopening around that being one of the key data points, including Florida. Multiple tests were not being counted until it came time to reopen the economy. This is why the person doing Florida's covid dashboard was fired. If we can track demographics by age and race, should be pretty easy to track whether the person being tested has been tested before.

Except the CDC has repeatedly said that percentage of positive cases is one of the key indicators when looking at data and most Governments based reopening around that being one of the key data points, including Florida. Multiple tests were not being counted until it came time to reopen the economy. This is why the person doing Florida's covid dashboard was fired. If we can track demographics by age and race, should be pretty easy to track whether the person being tested has been tested before.
Pretty sure it's how the CDC has always counted it.

The difference is that now testing doesn't always need a doctors note, so it's more accessible.

1592158841695.png

In this case, darker blue is a good thing. means more tests have been done.

I didn't read the whole disclaimer...

" Disclaimer: Data are provisional and subject to change. When launched on May 8, 2020, the data presented on this page were aggregate data reported to CDC from state health departments and territorial jurisdictions and represented all laboratory tests by state. Currently, there are two types of tests available—viral tests (tests for current infection) and antibody tests (tests for past infection). These tests often have different uses, which can present challenges for interpretation. Although antibody tests only account for a small proportion of cumulative testing nationally at this time, it has recently become more widely available, and CDC is working to differentiate those tests from the viral tests. We will report this information, differentiated by test type in future updates to this website. States and CDC are rapidly moving to a more detailed reporting format, known technically as line level data (each line in the file is a single laboratory test), which will enable CDC to display viral test data and serologic test data separately on the COVID Data Tracker. Given that this map shows total tests by state, some states may have included antibody tests in recent submissions of their total test counts. At a minimum, the following states or jurisdictional health authorities have excluded antibody tests in their reports to CDC and the totals above represent only viral testing: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, USVI, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and West Virginia. The number of states that have excluded antibody testing from their total test counts will continue to increase, and CDC will update this list to provide clarity. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom