COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 7-day average for new cases reached record highs in 14 states and Puerto Rico yesterday. The June case count in some states is already approaching their totals for the entire month of April.

Those states are Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

Louisiana not in a list of the "worst whatever" in America? This has to be fake news.

It's possible, but we will never know since we left it without even trying to fix it.

Maybe, I don’t know whether we've made genuine efforts to fix it in the past. Maybe their messaging is all the needs to be fixed, as Chuck alluded to. I don’t know enough to judge one way or another, I'm just asking questions more than anything.

I don’t. Why spend money on a foreign organization when we can increase CDC research and provide the funding to the states. A lot of diseases don’t originate here, what are you trying to get at?
we want as many 'eyes on the ground' as possible in as many places as possible
that would happen more efficiently through a resilient WHO than a CDC

Louisiana not in a list of the "worst whatever" in America? This has to be fake news.

Louisiana is seeing an uptrend in 7-day average but it’s still a nice looking curve. Part of that is because the early outbreak was fairly strong (most of these other states didn’t see that). Of course, state lines aren’t all that meaningful once commerce and travel return to normal patterns. And every state on LA’s borders is hitting new highs.

She's COVID-19 Negative (i.e. not detected).

Thank God! I can go back to sleeping in my bed (and her cold is getting a lot better). That also means I don't have to get tested, because I have whatever she got.

I don’t. Why spend money on a foreign organization when we can increase CDC research and provide the funding to the states. A lot of diseases don’t originate here, what are you trying to get at?

The US contributes about $900M (bi-annually - so $450M per year) to the WHO. Most of that (about 70%) is voluntary. The CDC budget is in excess of $6.5B annually. So the question is whether we get more value from spending $450M at WHO -a body with total funding of about $2.4B annually that draws on resources and experts around the world - or from increasing CDC’s budget by less than 15% and expect it to provide the same value as the WHO does.

I suspect the WHO is a better value.

Last edited:
Just goes to show how incompetant the WHO is. Nothing they say can be trusted and it should be disbanded or at least the current leadership should be fired. If they bring in new leaders then they will have to prove their ability to correctly run it correctly and apolitically before another U.S. penny is given to them.
First I find it funny that anyone would expect perfect, unchanging guidance about a virus pandemic that has never been seen before. To me at least some changing of guidelines is to be expected as more data and information becomes known.

Second, it needs to be said that many different countries participate in the WHO, and English, more precisely American English isn’t a native language. So her wording may not have the nuances that a native speaker would.

From the beginning the WHO has had doubts about the ability for asymptotic people to spread this. But, at the time they erred on caution. Once again, knowing the facts as we do now, they were potentially wrong. But, at the time it made sense.

Third, she was addressing asymptotic people. Not presymptomatic or those who just have a very mild case and may chalk it up to allergies of a light cold that lets face it doesn’t stop anyone. Those are the reason for the masks.

Here, however is the perfect example of a person finding specific small pieces of changing information, then using that to discredit everything. As someone who views things more as trends and generalities, this gets frustrating. Why would anyone want to provide a discussion when someone will find that one error and rip apart everything you do? It’s great to sit on the sidelines and nitpick, but in this case is it the best course?

Thank God! I can go back to sleeping in my bed (and her cold is getting a lot better). That also means I don't have to get tested, because I have whatever she got.
Now here is my question as I asked myself the same thing a week or so ago. I felt like I had a cold coming on (never showed up so suspect just allergies) but what I asked myself is if I'm distancing and washing my hands and doing my best to not get covid how did I end up with a cold?

Glad to hear it! But she still caught a larger-than-Covid virus, so something broke down somewhere.

Now here is my question as I asked myself the same thing a week or so ago. I felt like I had a cold coming on (never showed up so suspect just allergies) but what I asked myself is if I'm distancing and washing my hands and doing my best to not get covid how did I end up with a cold?
Yes! :D

The US contributes about $900M (bi-annually - so $450M per year) to the WHO. Most of that (about 70%) is voluntary. The CDC budget is in excess of $6.5B annually. So the question is whether we get more value from spending $450M at WHO -a body with total funding of about $2.B annually that draws on resources and experts around the world - or from increasing CDC’s budget by less than 15% and expect it to provide the same value as the WHO does.

I wish they would spend some of that money teaching both the phrase "we don't know" because it may cut down on the wrong info being passed around if they were capable of saying that instead of providing an answer based on incomplete information.

I wish they would spend some of that money teaching both the phrase "we don't know" because it may cut down on the wrong info being passed around if they were capable of saying that instead of providing an answer based on incomplete information.
We need to put that money into education, or give people a dedicated amount of time each day to read thoroughly. There are plenty of qualifiers in the reports that don't make it to the headlines or even articles. Go to the source and read the report thoroughly, then compare it to your go-to news site. If you find you've been hoodwinked, ditch that site. Don't let people lie to you or twist facts- too important a topic to use as click-bait, and wastes your time.

Glad to hear it! But she still caught a larger-than-Covid virus, so something broke down somewhere.
We let our guard down for one small gathering at someone's house, but in their screened porch. I regret it.

Also, she had a death of a grade school friend, and has been stressed. Not sure if that had much to do with it, but sometimes you'd mental state really messes up your physical state.

The US contributes about $900M (bi-annually - so $450M per year) to the WHO. Most of that (about 70%) is voluntary. The CDC budget is in excess of $6.5B annually. So the question is whether we get more value from spending $450M at WHO -a body with total funding of about $2.4B annually that draws on resources and experts around the world - or from increasing CDC’s budget by less than 15% and expect it to provide the same value as the WHO does.

I suspect no. I would rather keep our money in this country. Good to talk to you again Super.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom