Cowboys had top 5 defense before injuries (1 Viewer)

I get what you are saying OP, but our ****** d forced 10 more turnovers than Dallas did last season. And we do not have a Claborine or Ware.

your forgeting Ware was hurt with nagging injuries as well for a long stretch during the season (i dont think he played 50% of the snaps against us) and Claborine was a rookie. Jerry jumped the gun when he fired him.

The last coach we got from Dallas worked out well for us, this will be a hiring that will grow on me.

I get what you are saying OP, but our ****** d forced 10 more turnovers than Dallas did last season. And we do not have a Claborine or Ware.

Pretty much this. Outside of Lee and Ratliff, the rest of the injured starters were average to below average players.

Im disappointed in this hiring. I think we can expect another bad defense next year. Probably in the mid 20's of overall defense. But it will be considered an improvement so people will defend him.

Spags scheme was bad for our talent. Robs scheme will be fit some of our talent. I meam seriously, greer and prob are far less of cbs then claiborne and carr.

What im saying is, we dont have the secondary for robs scheme. We need way better corners. Greer and PRob should be nickel and #2 for Robs scheme.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

u may like him better than rex but rex is the better coach
Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

That is highly debateable.
Granted you can't really comapre a HC and DC, but as a HC Rex has turned his up and coming Jets (since Sanchez) into a laughing stock filled with media mayhem and teammate turmoil. IMHO any head coach that allows that, is not a good coach at all.

I hear ya.. but they lost 7 starters...and still finished 14th in overall defense. How many starters did we lose for the year? I believe besides Hawthorne and Vilma no other starters missed significant time and we finished 32nd. Worst in NFL history. It also seems from reading the cowboys forums and comment sections they were not happy about Rob Ryan being fired. They said the Defense was playing well especially with all the injuries and it was Romo choking and Jason Garrett's poor game management that cost them games. One of my favorite quotes from a disgruntled cowboy fan...

"Nice going Jerry, the Saints got Sean Peyton and Rob Ryan from us, funny didn't they get Sproles and Brees from the Chargers? And people say Romo is the problem, how's about stupid GM moves like fireing a guy when his D which was missing half the starter came through in the clutch but the offense choked"
Y! SPORTS

They finished 19th in total D.

Under Ryan’s guidance the Cowboys finished 19th in total defense in 2011 and 14th in 2012. With five defensive starters out for the season, Ryan was forced to use free agent players in significant roles down the stretch this year, a scenario that made it difficult to maintain the top 10 defense the Cowboys were deploying during the first half of the season.

Bruce Carter missed 5 games but their major injuries were Sean Lee and Ratliff.

Baltimore had key injuries to Terrell Suggs and Ray Lewis last year too but still finished a couple spots ahead of Ryan. Im just not very impressed with this guy overall. Even with both of those guys healthy in 2011 he only finished middle of the pack. Even his best year in 2006 was when he had Warren Sapp, Derrick Burgess, Namdi Asomugah, and Duane Starks as some of his starters.

Maybe, just maybe Sean and Mickey know more about football than some of the posters that are against this move. Sean was suspended for a year for no real reason, he comes back and wants revenge. If he thinks Rob Ryan will help him win games and contend for the title, I will trust coach and his decision. Rob Ryan welcome to NOLA.

Maybe, just maybe Sean and Mickey know more about football than some of the posters that are against this move. Sean was suspended for a year for no real reason, he comes back and wants revenge. If he thinks Rob Ryan will help him win games and contend for the title, I will trust coach and his decision. Rob Ryan welcome to NOLA.

And those two have both fired two Defensive coordinators in seven years. One being the worst in yardage allowed in NFL history who was fired the very next year.

Fans have every reason to question their ability to make a good hire at DC and to second guess potential candidates.

I was actually making fun of my Cowboys friends when they fired Ryan. Jerry jumped the gun big time.

Was half the team hurt when Alfred Morris rushed for 200 yards on them in the critical last game of the season?

And those two have both fired two Defensive coordinators in seven years. One being the worst in yardage allowed in NFL history who was fired the very next year.

Fans have every reason to question their ability to make a good hire at DC and to second guess potential candidates.

I think by this thought process, you would also have to question the ability of the evaluators who rank those that are drafted, those free agents that are signed, and every player that does not perform to fans standards.
Fans in general, in my opinion, have unrealistic expectations of a players ability, team contributions, and future performance regardless if they expect them to shine or suck.

You can place the blame soley on the coaches only if you are not holding anyone else accountable, and that just doesn't work in team situations.

Two sides will now debate the entire offseason...those that are glad Spags is gone and those that think he deserved another year, even if it is done sparingly. I fully expect to hear one side of that debate tooting their own horn when next season is over, based on how the new DC does.

Let' not act like we have the same talent on D.

Interesting comment, because by that logic, no one coming in will have a chance to do anything good. I see a number of posts by people expressing a preference for Tomsula or Grantham, but the perceived level of talent in SF or GA - when compared to other college teams obviously - is much higher than that of the Saints.

I think by this thought process, you would also have to question the ability of the evaluators who rank those that are drafted, those free agents that are signed, and every player that does not perform to fans standards.
Fans in general, in my opinion, have unrealistic expectations of a players ability, team contributions, and future performance regardless if they expect them to shine or suck.

You can place the blame soley on the coaches only if you are not holding anyone else accountable, and that just doesn't work in team situations.

Two sides will now debate the entire offseason...those that are glad Spags is gone and those that think he deserved another year, even if it is done sparingly. I fully expect to hear one side of that debate tooting their own horn when next season is over, based on how the new DC does.

And do you think that hiring spagnolo with the front seven that we had last year was very realistic? Are Coaches completely without fault? Who selected the $75 million in free agents that we signed last year? And Who selected the Coaches who brought them in?

Do you think that Payton was very reasonable in expecting Spagnolo to just waltz in and work miracles with one of the worst pass-rushing 4-3 D-lines in recent league history? Taking our best pass rusher from 2011 (Harper) and playing him mostly in coverage where he struggles?

And if others want to think that I'm gloating, so be it, but in reality I felt bad for Spagnolo the moment he walked in the door. He was setting himself up for failure by even coming here because his scheme never had a chance. I actually felt bad for the guy before the season began. I've maintained all along that I didn't really blame Spagnolo, because I truly think the guy gave it his all. I feel Payton is entirely at fault for Spagnolo, be it bad advice or a general lack of knowledge of defensive philosophy, I think that it's very reasonable to admit that Payton isn't perfect at everything despite all of his success on offense.

I just don't see Payton and Loomis as infallible as most people here do when it comes to evaluating defensive scouts, players, coaches and personnel because otherwise we'd consistently have a top ten defense and that just isn't the case.

The unrealistic fans are the ones who expect Payton and Loomis co. to never make a mistake at anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom