Dark Side of the New Orleans Saints--The 1979 drafting of K/P Russell Exrleben (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The following thread is, as some of the more keener, observant SR.com fans have already picked up from, highly influenced from the two, uncommon, forward-thinking Canadian genuises behind Vice's Dark Side of the Ring which usually provides outstanding, first-rate commentary from former wrestling manager, historian, WWF/WWE and NWA executive, fabled story-teller, and Kentucky "living legend" Jim Cornette, I am proud to bring you a story about one of New Orleans Saints worst, likely avoidable 1st round draft picks and busts ever. How a legendary, All-American PK from Texas who was selected one spot after future HOF TE Chargers Kellen Winslow Sr. and how this pick went against the personal wishes of then-Saints player personnel, Harry Holmes. Not only was Erxleben a failure as an NFL player, but he also was a rotten, terrible human being in his post--NFL career, too as a manipulative con man in business.

The year was 1979. Disco still sort of ruled the all-powerful FM radio airwaves, although cracks were starting to show and fracture its once-unstoppable dominance from raw, vulgar bitter undertones of punk and new wave scenes grumbling on both sides of the Atlantic. CBGB's and Max's Kansas City provided hard, fast, and loud abrasive musical alternatives to the computerized, decadent, cocaine beats of Studio 54 that would soon implode due to over-saturation, commercialization, federal lawsuits and eventually, jail time, from Studio 54 owners "skim-scamming" their taxes. This was also the summer where long lines of frustrated Americans waited in hot, humid temperatures to try and get a couple gallons of gas, if those gas stations had any gasoline at all. 53 Americans--Marine MP's, secretaries, embassy staff, employees were taken hostage and were about to endure the longest 14 months of their lives in the Iranian hostage crisis via sleep deprivation, psychological torture using mock executions in the embassy basement in Farsi, beatings and some embassy staff trying to commit suicide due to a feeling of hopelessness they would never get released.
In late December 1979, the Soviet Union decided to join the ME turmoil party by making it worse by invading a predominantly-Muslim nation to prop up a failing, discredited authoritian Afghan Communist puppet regime whose leader Leonid Brezhnev had already come to suspect was a secret American CIA double agent. Then again, by the late 70's, Brezhnev's mental/cognitive decline had accelerated so badly he had to read speeches in the largest font size possible.

The New Orleans Saints had just come off their best season in franchise history,7-9, and if not for a couple of fluke Hail Mary plays called Big Ben vs. Falcons, New Orleans might've had his first winning season and playoff appearance.

While coaching the South team at the Senior Bowl, Saints HC Dick Nolan fell in love with a strong-legged, powerful PK from Texas named Russell Erxleben. So much so that he ignored conventional wisdom and warnings from Saints scouts that usually Kickers and Punters aren't selected that high, and only one (Steve Little of the St. Louis Cardinals) had been drafted that high before and he'd had a disappointing career to say the least. Against the wishes of Harry Hulmes, Dick Nolan made Erxleben only the second P/PK drafted in the 1st round of the entire history of NFL Draft.

It was a disaster almost from the start. Erxleben had a prima-donna attitude from the very beginning, which didnt exactly endear him to his teammates, he complained of leg, ankle problems and he was beaten out as teams' starting kicker by Rich Mauri in training camp, so he was relegated back to punter. He had a decent 1979 seaosn, in so far he only played one game and that was the season-opener against the Falcons and he was injured midway through the OT period when a punt went way over his head and while trying to throw it away from the endzone to avoid a safety, his desperation pass was caught by a Falcons DB who scored a TD to win the game, 40-34. Erxleben was so fragile he was injured on the play and was out for the entire 1979 season.

His bad luck continued into the next season when he hooked a makeable 33-yard FG season opener in the Dome to lose to the 49ers in 1980 and according to Archie Manning, by the next time the team returned to camp next day, a famous TP front-page picture of Erxleben pounding and hitting the turf like a spoiled brat after missing the potential GW-FG while a dejected, hurt LB Joe Federspiel looked down on him in disgust, someone had drawn an bow into Federspiel's hands and an arrow in Erxleben's back. Suffice it to say, Erxleben wasnt the most popular guy on the team.

Many Saints fans, especially those 55 and older, and some historians like me, rate Erxleben one of the worst picks in team history, although not as bad or as severe as Jonathan Sullivan, the crux of the matter when it came to both of these huge busts is that they were very much avoidable. Their were some warning "signs" particularly as it relates to Sullivan in 2003, when the Saints FO, GM and scouts didnt push harder or deeper enough about some of Sally's bad habits, unruly discipline, aloof behavior. Sullivan had shown some of these same bad behavioral traits in college at Georgia but Saints scouts didnt push or press hard enough to discover these things before it was already too late. I suspect Erxleben had a similar backstory, too.

Last edited:
I was at that opening game vs the Falcons in '79. Still have memories of the snap sailing over his head. I remember thinking something along the lines of "there's no way that just happened" as the whole Dome seemed completely stunned.

And of course, that it happened vs the Falcons, who terrorized us the year before with one of their answered Hail Mary plays to beat us was even more unbelievable.

I'm pretty sure that sequence of events is what ultimately started our rivalry (read, disdain) for the Atlanta Falcons.

But imagine the Super Bowls we could have won, with that extra roster spot, had it worked out! The genius of it was worth the risk! :)

Wish it ended there with him:

After retiring from the NFL, he became a financial investor in foreign exchange trading, founding Austin Forex International in Austin, Texas. In 1999, following a tip, an investigation by the Texas State Securities Board and the Internal Revenue Service ensued; and Erxleben eventually pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud, mail fraud and money laundering, and a second count for securities fraud in connection with misleading statements regarding the past performance of Austin Forex. On September 18, 2000, Erxleben was sentenced by United States District Court Judge James R. Nowlin to 84 months in prison and ordered to pay a total of $28 million in restitution with a $1 million fine. Erxleben's lawyers, the law firm of Locke, Liddell & Sapp, settled a related lawsuit for $22 million in 2000. Other law firms settled and a total of $34 million was collected in the combined suits.

On January 24, 2013, Erxleben was arrested again on various federal charges related to an alleged Ponzi scheme.[4] In December 2013 Erxleben pleaded guilty to charges of wire fraud and money laundering.[5] On February 24, 2014, he was sentenced to 90 months in prison.[6][7] Erxleben, United States Bureau of Prisons register number 04048-180, was released from custody on 19 July 2019.[8]

Seems like an all-around peach of a guy

Pretty sure it was him that hit the old hanging scoreboard thing on one of his punts. Announcers loved bringing that up

I was 16 and reading the sports page, and thought "are you freaking kidding me?" But he was supposed to be a "weapon".
Under Mecom, we were the most pathetic team in history.

Granted, I was just barely out of diapers for the Nolan era of Saints football. My memories begin with Bum’s time. But to be objective here, he ended up being not a bad punter once the experiment at placekicker ended with the drafting of Morten Andersen in 1982.

The ball being snapped over his head in the otherwise thrilling ‘79 opener wasn’t his fault, after all. It was on the long snapper. I think that was Pietrzak back then? Erxy also completed two passes during his time as a Saint, one going for a TD in ‘82 against the Falcons, ironically.

Also, back then, directional punting wasn’t stressed as much in the coaching phase. So oftentimes punters would out-kick the coverage and end up giving up TD’s to the more dangerous return men of the day.

Many Saints fans, especially those 55 and older,
Every generation has its own "Worst Saints Draft Disaster Ever."

Boomers - Russell Erxleben
Gen Xers - Ricky Williams
Millennials - Jonathan Sullivan
Snowflakes - ...?

I'm pretty sure that sequence of events is what ultimately started our rivalry (read, disdain) for the Atlanta Falcons.
Nah, dates back further than that.

Damn. Bums me out that I remember Erkslip well. Time sucks

Erxleben gets a bad rap on that interception to lose that game. Since a Falcon FG would have won the game in OT trying to throw an incomplete pass deep in his own territory with the ball returned to Falcons side of the field was actually a smart play. He just got hit as he threw it.

I was at that opening game vs the Falcons in '79. Still have memories of the snap sailing over his head. I remember thinking something along the lines of "there's no way that just happened" as the whole Dome seemed completely stunned.

And of course, that it happened vs the Falcons, who terrorized us the year before with one of their answered Hail Mary plays to beat us was even more unbelievable.

I was there as well. I was in the endzone seats where the pass sailed over his head. An ironic twist was
the prior season the Falcons beat us twice by the score of 20-17. The scores were doubled this time.
The final score was 40-34.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom