Defensive formation on 3rd and 16 in Eagles game. (24 Viewers)

Then why would Philly even be running a Mesh concept on 3rd and 15 since teams mostly play zone on 3rd and 15?

You put yourself in a position to fail when you make the play call that everyone expects you to make every single time. Nothing wrong with mixing it up. And, again, the call would have worked if executed properly.
Because they saw the coverage pre snap

Then why would Philly even be running a Mesh concept on 3rd and 15 since teams mostly play zone on 3rd and 15?

You put yourself in a position to fail when you make the play call that everyone expects you to make every single time. Nothing wrong with mixing it up. And, again, the call would have worked if executed properly.

Are you suggesting that they didn't run a mesh concept? They did. They did, because we are a mostly man coverage team and that's what we show on tape.

You are proving my point. This was the time for Allen TO mix it up and play zone coverage. Instead they called a simple man beater and got free yards.

Are you suggesting that they didn't run a mesh concept? They did. They did, because we are a mostly man coverage team and that's what we show on tape.

You are proving my point. This was the time for Allen TO mix it up and play zone coverage. Instead they called a simple man beater and got free yards.

No. I'm saying they called it despite the fact that most teams play zone on 3rd and 15. Which means that they had no intent to create a pick since you can't create a pick against zone.

And we were playing plenty zone today to contain Hurts as a runner.

They got lucky and called that Mesh concept at exactly the right moment and Harris, Lattimore, and Howden failed to execute the play properly.

Hurts changed the play to a Mesh concept pre-snap? Despite all the times that DA has his guys walk up and fake pressure before dropping into zone?
I didn’t say he changed it. Most teams have more than one play when they break the huddle and the pre snap coverage dictates which one they run. That play is specifically designed to beat man coverage. Specifically.

Aren't people always griping that DA plays too much soft zone at the end of games?

Had Harris not run into Lattimore, Harris is there to a worst tackle Goddard for a short gain or slow him down enough for Howden to stop him for a short gain. I don't get the issue with the play call. It was the execution that sucked.
It's pretty much this all day long. It was the correct play call. The players have to execute and one player out of position caused the busted coverage. It happens sometimes. I had a bigger issue with passing up the FG. That's really where the game was lost imo.

It was a bad call for that down, distance, situation and personal. I have already explained why. In other situations against other QBs I have no issue with that call. Yea, they could have played it better than cluster flub style for sure. But that call in that particular game situation and personnel. Was low chance of success at best.

And yet it would have been successful had Harris and Lattimore not collided or had Howden properly come up and made the tackle.

He was the deep safety.

Just because that's where he was lined up doesn't mean that was his responsibility. He ran with the TE from the snap.

I'm not a fan, because if you are going to double someone in man, that technique is NOT how you do it, especially versus a slot player. But he did what he was assigned. I'd loved for him to have better eyes and be aware of the route concept from the other side of the field to be able to run over the top of the opposite crosser. But he was put in a bad position from jump.

Just because that's where he was lined up doesn't mean that was his responsibility. He ran with the TE from the snap.

I'm not a fan, because if you are going to double someone in man, that technique is NOT how you do it, especially versus a slot player. But he did what he was assigned. I'd loved for him to have better eyes and be aware of the route concept from the other side of the field to be able to run over the top of the opposite crosser. But he was put in a bad position from jump.
You make no sense. Under no circumstances should your last line of defense ever attempt to get in front of your DBs in coverage. He blew his assignment.

I didn’t say he changed it. Most teams have more than one play when they break the huddle and the pre snap coverage dictates which one they run. That play is specifically designed to beat man coverage. Specifically.

You have amazing insight into how Philly runs their offense and their play calls on that play.

And yet it would have been successful had Harris and Lattimore not collided or had Howden properly come up and made the tackle.
Disagree. The trail defender would still have been trailing and the TE had the angle to the sideline on the Safety. It may not have been the huge play it was, but they still more than likely get the first easy. Like I said. The play call is fine if not for the situation and personnel. 4 back at the sticks. Force the quick throw. Come up and make the tackle. Force the 4th down. We do it all the time.

Those mesh concepts are naturally pick plays.
They are, but a smart defense knows how to deal with those concepts. The problem is you had a rookie defender not having situational awareness as to where the other guys are on the field.

And it happens. If we kick a FG earlier, all of this is moot.

You make no sense. Under no circumstances should your last line of defense ever attempt to get in front of your DBs in coverage. He blew his assignment.

Just watch the replay. DA even confirmed it in his presser. Howden and Harris were doubling Goedart on that play. Howden was NOT our deep safety on that play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom