N/S Deion Sanders: They’re letting too many players into the Hall of Fame (1 Viewer)

He is wrong. Its really hard to get in the NFL HoF because they only take a max 5 per year which include coaches in those select 5 spots (THEY CAN TAKE LESS) plus maybe 1 SR Candidate and in every other year a contributor spot or 2nd sr spot. They all require 80% votes.

The NFL has 53 -man rosters and proportionally much much less players.

Take a look at who isnt in to see how hard it is....
Isaac Bruce
Hines Ward
Jimmy Smith
Sterling Sharpe
Charlie Hennigan
Eddie Goerge
Edgerrin James (All Decade)
Paul Lowe
Bill Osmanski (All Decade)
Joe Jacoby (All Decade)
Tony Boselli
Steve Hutchinson
Alan Faneca
OT Al Wistert (All-Decade first team 1940s won two championships including one in a blizzard)
Nate Newton
Steve Wisnewski
Mark Bavaro
Jay Novacek
Jerry Smith
Dallas Clark
Jim Marshall
Neil Smith
LC Greenwood (All Decade)
Harvey Martin
Pat Swilling
Karl Mecklenburg
Randy Gradishar
Mike Curtis
Patrick Willis
Chuck Howley
Clay Matthews SR
Joe Fortunato (All Decade)
Tommy Nobis (All Decade)
Steve Atwater (All Decade)
John Lynch
Dick Anderson (All Decade)
Jake Scott
Deron Cherry (All Decade)
Rodney Harrison
Don Coryell
Gary Anderson (All Decade twice 80s and 90s)
Jim Lee Howell
Tom Flores
Jerrel Wilson

All those guys dont need to get in, but there is plenty of room to take more and not water down the HoF.

What there are is too many QBs and RBs is comparison to other positions (modern era)....
32 RB/FB
26 QB
27 WR (how are ther enearly as many QBs as WR)
Only 9 TEs (almost 3x as many QBs)
46 OL (all 5 positions dont even double the QBs)
4 kickers and 1 punter (no STers)
38 DL from all 4 spots (barely ahead of the RBs)
30 LBers from all 4 spots just barely ahead of the QBs
30 DBs (from all 4 spots)

How is between 4 and 7 players a year too many?

This about Eli. An Average QB during the year, but he had two great playoff runs that resulted in rings.

For comparison here are some guys in the MLB HoF....
Don Sutton
Gaylord Perry (he is in for his spit ball)
Tony Perez
Ernie Lombardi
Phil Rizzuto
Rick Ferrell
Luis Aparicio
Nellie Fox
Jack Morris
Rabbit Maranville
Harold Baines
Lloyd Waner (Paul's brother)
Bert Blyleven
Ron Santo

I liked Deion better when he was using his charter schools to defraud and embezzle money from the state of Texas and leave hundreds of children with no school to attend in the middle of a school year after they went bankrupt mid-year.

Great guy whose opinion we should give a national spotlight.

This about Eli. An Average QB during the year, but he had two great playoff runs that resulted in rings.
Eli might get in after 5 years but he will squeak in if he does. You cant make an argumnet using Eli when he isnt even in.

I think he's right. There are probably three levels of HOFers and I do like the test of can you tell the story without this guy? But they let in 15 people this year. 15!
I hope that's just for the centennial and then they go back to five or so. Something like 1700 guys play in the NFL each year, so five a year still seems rather elite to me.
Over 10 years, it probably something like 4000 unique individuals, so if we're inducting 1 - 2% of that group, I am okay with it.
Its going to be 20 and thats just for this year 2020
Remember also those Max of 7 players include coaches and contributors.

Eli might get in after 5 years but he will squeak in if he does. You cant make an argumnet using Eli when he isnt even in.

I think the NFL HOF has done a good job of keeping the standard of "can you tell the history of the NFL without this player?", for the most part, and it's a good standard. There are a few guys who I think meet that standard that aren't in (Coryell, Boselli, Bruce, Novacek, Nate Newton), but generally speaking that's the standard, it's a good standard, and they've stayed true to it.

Given that standard, it's really hard to argue against Eli making it. You can't tell the story of the Patriots without the kryptonite to their superman and without talking about the improbable way that the Giants made the Super Bowl as the 5 seed and took down the 18-0 Patriots (then did it again a couple years later).

He also has two Super Bowl MVPs. Here is the list of multiple-time Super Bowl MVP Winners: Brady, Bradshaw, Montana, Starr, Eli. I mean, it's definitely kind of an "lol one of these things is not like the others", but still, can't argue with results.

It annoys me that Eli will make it because there are probably 10 better QBs from this generation in terms of pure NFL QB ability. But it's not the "hall of being an effective player", it's the hall of fame.

With him retiring it has ignited a lot of talk about whether he gets in. That's all I meant.

I think the NFL HOF has done a good job of keeping the standard of "can you tell the history of the NFL without this player?", for the most part, and it's a good standard. There are a few guys who I think meet that standard that aren't in (Coryell, Boselli, Bruce, Novacek, Nate Newton), but generally speaking that's the standard, it's a good standard, and they've stayed true to it.

Given that standard, it's really hard to argue against Eli making it. You can't tell the story of the Patriots without the kryptonite to their superman and without talking about the improbable way that the Giants made the Super Bowl as the 5 seed and took down the 18-0 Patriots (then did it again a couple years later).

He also has two Super Bowl MVPs. Here is the list of multiple-time Super Bowl MVP Winners: Brady, Bradshaw, Montana, Starr, Eli. I mean, it's definitely kind of an "lol one of these things is not like the others", but still, can't argue with results.

It annoys me that Eli will make it because there are probably 10 better QBs from this generation in terms of pure NFL QB ability. But it's not the "hall of being an effective player", it's the hall of fame.

Eli is also instrumental in telling the story of players throwing a fit and demanding a trade if they get drafted by a team they don't like. That was a major story.

I heard Sanders on the radio and almost started a thread regarding his comments. To some extent, he is right. And to some extent, this is a personality contest, with players who have stayed in the game, especially those on television, being treated more kindly than others.

Eli Manning is a perfect example. In my opinion, he does not belong in the Hall of Fame. When he played, he was never considered a top five quarterback, but a top 10 or 12 quarterback. That is the difference between exceptional and very good, and in my view is not good enough for HOF admission. But he won two Super Bowls, played for the Giants in the New York market, and is a Manning, so in all probability he will one day be elected.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom