Dem ticket (1 Viewer)

Webb would be a good choice. Biden would be a great choice. I'm a pretty big Biden fan.

I've always thought Biden would be the best choice.

One interesting name I have heard some people throw out there is Sam Nunn.

I should clarify, when I say "I'm a Biden fan", I don't mean his obsession with the "War on Drugs", but I do like his foreign policy perspective and it compliments Obama strongly.

I'm more inclined to care about who Obama's VP would be then say Hillary's because I believe Obama is far more likely to treat his VP as a full partner in the administration and not an errand boy.

After Sen. Obama was seen shaking hands and talking off to the side with Sen. Lieberman in the Senate today, the rumors started flying.

POLITICO, THE CRYPT
June 04, 2008
Categories: Campaigns
Obama talks with Clinton, Lieberman

Before stopping to talk to reporters, Obama did a victory lap through the Senate, where he was treated to the hero's welcome from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.

Looking to mend fences, Obama greeted many Clinton supporters enthusiastically, including a vigorous handshake with Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and a kiss on the cheek for Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.).

However, the presumptive Democratic nominee raised a few eyebrows when he took Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) aside to a quiet corner of the Senate for a private conversation.

A vocal supporter of Obama's opponent Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Lieberman has not been shy in criticizing Obama's foreign policy positions.

At one point, Obama and Lieberman acknowledged the intense speculation from reporters in the packed press gallery above, and Obama gave a wave and a smile to the curious reporters.

However, when asked about the meeting after the fact, Obama cautioned reporters not too read too much into their private colloquy.

"I had just come back from AIPAC, so we were just talking some politics," Obama said with a smile.

- Continued -
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0608/Obama_on_Clinton_Well_be_talking.html

Does anyone know the relationship between Obama and Jim Webb? This would be my choice for VP.

Obama campaigned for Webb in VA. There's a picture floating around with the two of them lifting each other's hands in victory. Webb declined to endorse either Dem candidate but I believe Barack referred to him as "a friend" at an event in Richmond before the VA primary.

I've cooled a bit on Webb as VP. He has a shaky history with respect to women, opposed them holding leadership positions in the military when he was Reagan's Secy. of Navy and used decidedly sexist/chauvinistic language in some of his fiction writings. Given the raw state of women's emotions regarding their token candidate being toppled, I'm not sure questions about Webb's past wouldn't be a constant distraction.

Aside from that, Webb is a notoriously half-hearted campaigner and not much of a politician. While that has its appeal, one wonders how much of an asset he'd be on the ticket.

I don't envy Barack right now. He has a tough, tough choice to make.

I've cooled a bit on Webb as VP. He has a shaky history with respect to women, opposed them holding leadership positions in the military when he was Reagan's Secy. of Navy and used decidedly sexist/chauvinistic language in some of his fiction writings. Given the raw state of women's emotions regarding their token candidate being toppled, I'm not sure questions about Webb's past wouldn't be a constant distraction.

That's another advantage Biden has in that he's been a huge champion of stiffer laws and tougher prosecutions of gender crimes and domestic abuse. So he should (though honestly I have no clue if he does) have capital in feminist circles.

DMaestro said:
Aside from that, Webb is a notoriously half-hearted campaigner and not much of a politician. While that has its appeal, one wonders how much of an asset he'd be on the ticket.

I don't, however, think that'll be a barrier. Obama's campaign is so outstanding he really doesn't need significant campaign help. Just someone who shows up to events, gives good sound bytes, and can fill some policy gaps.

R.J. Matson, NY, The New York Observer and Roll Call
matson.jpg

It's likely all about Ohio. So, Ted Strickland would be a really strategic choice.

Ted Strickland is an interesting posibility because it could be all about Ohio.

I can't tell you who it will be. But I can tell you who it won't be:

1. Hillary Clinton--People must be kidding. Nobody sees Hillary marching in line behind anyone. Nobody sees Bill keeping a low profile. Her people are brazenly trying to force Hillary on Obama, so the selection of Hillary makes Obama looks weak. It certainly undercuts his theme of "change" and a different tone of politics if he elects to go back to the 90's with Hillary. And what does Hillary really bring to the table in terms of demographics? Older women? Yes. But Hillary has been doing well with the downscale voters in the recent primaries not because they love Hillary, but because they didn't want to vote for Obama.

2. Jim Webb--I am a huge Webb fan, and he would be a big plus on taking on McCain on military issues. But Webb has less elective office experience than Obama, can be incredibly candid, is not a natural campaigner, and did say a lot of things 25 years ago about women in the military that would come up in a national election. Plus, Webb's political idol is Pat Moynihan, who was happy to serve in the Senate and write his books.

I don't, however, think that'll be a barrier. Obama's campaign is so outstanding he really doesn't need significant campaign help. Just someone who shows up to events, gives good sound bytes, and can fill some policy gaps.

Point taken. But common wisdom says that the VP choices will be atypically important this time around, for both candidates. If Obama is counting on Webb to pull in some blue collar whites, he'll need him to be more than just a podium decoration. And consider that Webb barely got past George Allen, even after "macaca" shot himself in the foot. I'm not sure Webb would be the guy to get the Dem ticket over the hump.

From a governance standpoint, it may behoove Obama to pick a Washington insider. Enter Biden (I'm a fan as well). But Biden doesn't bring in states or votes.

Drawbacks everywhere you turn.

One interesting name I have heard some people throw out there is Sam Nunn.

Pres. Carter today said
"I think it would be highly unlikely for Obama to ask her to take it," he said then. "Because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others. But I think if he asked her, she would take it."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Hillary should not be anyone's #2, IMO... If she's smart, she won't lobby for it or accept it if offered. My personal opinion is that IF Obama wins this year-- the mess he's inheriting will be so hellacious that he won't possibly turn it around and will look really bad. I'm not *hoping* that happens, it is just what I *think* will happen. Then, in 2012 Hillary will run and might still lose, but would have a better chance of being President than attaching herself right now to an Obama Presidency that is doomed to fail because of Bush's policies. I hope I'm wrong.

Hillary should not be anyone's #2, IMO... If she's smart, she won't lobby for it or accept it if offered. My personal opinion is that IF Obama wins this year-- the mess he's inheriting will be so hellacious that he won't possibly turn it around and will look really bad. I'm not *hoping* that happens, it is just what I *think* will happen. Then, in 2012 Hillary will run and might still lose, but would have a better chance of being President than attaching herself right now to an Obama Presidency that is doomed to fail because of Bush's policies. I hope I'm wrong.

You're suggesting Hillary run an insurgent campaign against Obama in 2012? Blasphemy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom