Deon Yelder hoping to become complete tight end with Saints NOLA.com (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
"Deon Yelder rattled off a long list of names.
Tyler Higbee, George Fant, Devin Scott, Tim Gorski, Steve Donatell, Desmond Maxwell and Shaquille Johnson.

All of those tight ends, including Higbee and Fant who are now in the NFL, contributed to the Western Kentucky offense before Yelder had his breakout campaign in 2017. Yelder had zero catches until an impressive senior season that included 52 catches for 688 yards and seven touchdowns.
"I feel like I capitalized the most I could on that opportunity, and I just need to get better," he said."

He is still a bit raw but his upside is high, we got a gem with this one.

Deon Yelder hoping to become complete tight end with Saints

Last edited:
Would love to see a young, aggressive, and quality tight end emerge in our offense. We could use it big time.

His build and athletic ability reminds me a lot of Ben Watson. He doesn't have the top end speed or crazy bench press numbers that Watson had coming out of Georgia, but I think he can develop into a similar player. He actually has a better three cone and his vertical and broad jumps are close to Watson's. 10 and 20 yard splits are close as well. Yelder and Boston Scott could both end up being diamonds in the rough.

His build and athletic ability reminds me a lot of Ben Watson. He doesn't have the top end speed or crazy bench press numbers that Watson had coming out of Georgia, but I think he can develop into a similar player. He actually has a better three cone and his vertical and broad jumps are close to Watson's. 10 and 20 yard splits are close as well. Yelder and Boston Scott could both end up being diamonds in the rough.

That was what I thought when I saw his highlights. I believe we got a good one.

Don’t think we need a separate thread but Daints are trying to convert Wozniak to OT
Probably a 2 yr PS project but interesting development

I'd like to read the article but keep getting an Error 404 page not found whenever I click the link. Anyone else having this happen?

From all I've heard of Yelder, he's going to make the team and possibly fight for a spot in the top three tight ends. Heck, if he contributes on special teams, he could knock someone off the roster if he's good enough at TE. This will be an interesting position to watch as camp develops.

Here's a link I found using the google machine. Looks to be the same article.

ETA: Looks like he may be valuable on special teams.

Although Yelder's potential on offense give him the best chance to make a long-term impact with the Saints, his athleticism could help on special teams, too. In 2016, he blocked an extra point against Middle Tennessee that helped Western Kentucky win in double overtime.

"My whole thing is I want to be versatile and fit wherever," he said.

Last edited:
He won't neesssarily be a deep threat like Jimmy Graham, but he looks like he could be a great target underneath, with his quickness he could be great. That is what we lacked last season was a guy who could consistently move the chains.

I'd like to read the article but keep getting an Error 404 page not found whenever I click the link. Anyone else having this happen?

From all I've heard of Yelder, he's going to make the team and possibly fight for a spot in the top three tight ends. Heck, if he contributes on special teams, he could knock someone off the roster if he's good enough at TE. This will be an interesting position to watch as camp develops.

Here's a link I found using the google machine. Looks to be the same article.

ETA: Looks like he may be valuable on special teams.

Thanks I got the link fixed in the OP

He won't neesssarily be a deep threat like Jimmy Graham, but he looks like he could be a great target underneath, with his quickness he could be great. That is what we lacked last season was a guy who could consistently move the chains.

Despite his speed, I think Yelder has the ability to work the seam routes along with contributing in the intermediate passing game....I think after Watson, Hill and Hooman..Yelder will be that 4th TE.

He's put himself in the right spot at the right time. All 3 of our TE's are in the final year of their contracts. Hill never took the next step in his development, Hooman is nothing but a blocker and Watson is in what could be the final year of his career. Looking forward to see what he can do!

I like Josh Hill, but would like to see an upgrade to him. I’m hoping Yelder will be that guy and replace him on the roster. I would rather we not keep 4 tight ends either. Hopefully Yelder replaces Hill and learns a ton from Ben Watson. Then we can draft us one pretty high next year to replace Watson. Crazy to think my biggest wants next year are QB, RB, and TE. Just shows how much this defense has improved that I want all offensive players early in next years draft.

I’m hoping we take a tight end in the 2nd and a running back in the 3rd. Then take our QB in the 2020 draft after a trade up like this year giving up our 2021 1st rounder.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom