Deuce's Value (1 Viewer)

I posted this in another post, but I will go ahead and say it here as this is Deuce specific thread

Deuce has been approached (or I should say his agent though I am sure Deuce was involved) about restructuring his contract. The coaching staff (as well as the training staff) doesn't think he will come back fully from another knee injury. They feel he is best suited for around 10-15 carries a game but don't feel like he can return to franchise back form. I am sure there will be games where he may get more or less carries depending on how he is performing, however this is the general consensus from what I have been told.

I don't know the extent of the conversations, only that there has been some dialog. And this part is ONLY my opinion, but I really think Deuce will be receptive to restructuring and taking a reduced role in the offense. My understanding also is that a good portion of his salary will be converted into incentives (making it possible for him to earn more but definitly making it rely on his production), assuming he agrees.

Like I said, how involved the talks were I really don't know. I know there have been recent discussion (after the end of the season). Will something happen? I can't say, but personally I think the type of person Deuce is he will help the team out but still insist on incentives to allow him to make most of his money back depending on his overall performance.

Cutting Duece if he refuses to restructure would only save us about 1 million this year. For future years that number rises quickly, 4 million in 09, like 6 million in 10, then 8 and 10. He got a relatively small signing bonus(12 million divided over 6 years) so about 2 million a year. But his base salary sky rockets towards the last 3 years. I might keep him for 08 but definately not 09. Honestly, I'm an a$$ so I'd cut him now.

I think Deuce would restructure given the seriousness of his injuries. I'm pulling for him to come back.

I posted this in another post, but I will go ahead and say it here as this is Deuce specific thread

Deuce has been approached (or I should say his agent though I am sure Deuce was involved) about restructuring his contract. The coaching staff (as well as the training staff) doesn't think he will come back fully from another knee injury. They feel he is best suited for around 10-15 carries a game but don't feel like he can return to franchise back form. I am sure there will be games where he may get more or less carries depending on how he is performing, however this is the general consensus from what I have been told.

I don't know the extent of the conversations, only that there has been some dialog. And this part is ONLY my opinion, but I really think Deuce will be receptive to restructuring and taking a reduced role in the offense. My understanding also is that a good portion of his salary will be converted into incentives (making it possible for him to earn more but definitly making it rely on his production), assuming he agrees.

Like I said, how involved the talks were I really don't know. I know there have been recent discussion (after the end of the season). Will something happen? I can't say, but personally I think the type of person Deuce is he will help the team out but still insist on incentives to allow him to make most of his money back depending on his overall performance.

Thats some good info.Thanks for passing it to us.

I love Duece as much as the next guy but he has had two injury riddled seasons after he signed a whopper of a contract . It would be nice to have him sign a new contract that is heavy on perfromance based pay rather than hold on to all that cap room when we could use that money in more pressing areas on Defense. The bottom line is he has a contract and what can you really do accept ot keep hoping the running game will keep other offenses off the field so that the D doesn't get burned.

I love Duece as much as the next guy but he has had two injury riddled seasons after he signed a whopper of a contract . It would be nice to have him sign a new contract that is heavy on perfromance based pay rather than hold on to all that cap room when we could use that money in more pressing areas on Defense. The bottom line is he has a contract and what can you really do accept ot keep hoping the running game will keep other offenses off the field so that the D doesn't get burned.

Contracts in the NFL aren't guranteed as far as I know. He could be cut eventually which is probably enough incentive to get him to restructure. If he plays hardball and we outright cut him in a year or two, he might see less money then if he just restructures, accepts his deminished role, and plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom