Did I go too Far? (1 Viewer)

Let me set the stage here. I have been one of the people at my work who has been putting all of our testing online, and teaching other staff how to access the information and train them. I went all last year without a computer, having to borrow other staff members computers to do the training, all the while our network being up less than half the time. Yes, our tech people could be put out of work by a couple of chimps. Anywho, four weeks ago, the power supply in my tower went out. After 4 service requests, I took my handy dandy screwdriver and stole a power supply out of a computer that someone else was not using for a while. (they weren't happy, but didnt really care either) Needless to say this upset my tech people. I don't really care, I was getting irratated. Then for the last two weeks, I have been unable to log into my computer because the password clears through the system that doesn't work. I had about 4 things I had to get done today, so I blew and called the head of tech support, going over the heads of everyone. I told her about the poor service, poor network and all. OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS big mistake, because they went postal about me taking the power supply out of the other machine. Big deal, I have done it enough I could do it with my eyes closed. Now everyones all bent out of shape and ready to hang me. Yet I am left to wonder other than being a donkey, what did I do wrong?

Man, I can't imagine working with such panzies. Are they all girls? Are they all on the same menstrol cycle? That's just crazy!

You didn't do anything wrong unless you voided a warranty on the machines. Even then. Who's going to tell?

Some IT people working with a company will cover ignorance when it comes to solving problems. When someone else solves it, it makes them look bad and they get mad about it. I've been in your place before at different companies. Found it useful to get to know the IT folks and develop a decent relationship with them. Once they realize you are not trying to make them look bad, they may ease up.

Or, you could find an ally higher up than they are and put the pressure on them.

Or, you could find a job somewhere else.

Warn them that you will tell their mothers on them and they'll have to move out and get a real apartment.

"Tell them that you know Karate and will break them in half" per Plankton from Spongebob Squarepants.

Actually after I blew up about this that and everything else, it is amazing how it all works so well now. Such a zenlike feeling. It better be also, because I now loathed by the tech geek that is supposed to be Mr. Fixit. Oh well, I could care less.

U should still rub it in his face about being such a cry baby. I'm just a lowly electrician, but a guy/girl would get laughed off the jobsite for such petty crap.

As others here stated, as long as you didn't void a warranty, you just hurt their ego.
They can be some sensitive critters, can't they?

Here's a good one for ya if your feel like having fun with them.
Download THIS, burn it to a CD and take it to work. Put it in your CD drive and reboot your computer. If you are allowed to boot from CD, probably can, then a 'different' (Linux) desktop should appear on your screen. After it is loaded (don't worry, nothing has been installed), call one of your IT guys to see what's wrong with your system. Tell them that a 'friend' of yours told you to install something to fix a problem. When you rebooted, this happened.
When the IT person freaks out and runs to the boss.............. real quick, push the power button (no need to shutdown), as the system reboots, removed the CD. Lets Windows fire back up and act like you haven't seen the IT person all day long. That should provide some entertainment.

If you were wanting to befriend any of them, then I would NOT do this, if not, :naughty:

Make sure they don't ever find that CD :covri:

Can you really use the words "computer" and "jocks" in the same sentence? :ezbill:

Is Curt Schilling considered a jock? :sbob:

http://www.38studios.com/

:9:

And yeah, youre dealing with modern IT. Beaurocrats and middle managers trained to put out fires. Working IT now is usually miserable. No innovation, no creativity. Bad bosses. Ive been there. Had a great IT job. Then had a horrible, horrible one. From what I read, lots of IT jobs these days are like the horrible one I had. Not surprised at all you ran into this kind of mentally challenged thinking. Sigh.

Last edited:
Man, I can't imagine working with such panzies. Are they all girls? Are they all on the same menstrol cycle? That's just crazy!
excuse me?!?

dave...it is not what you did, it is how you went about doing it

dammit ra...beat me to it. damya

this is funny, im an IT person , though ive never plaed a video game - heck i dont even own a vcr - i rarely ever use a computer other than at work,

i wouldnt like it if you swapped the Power Supplies, Im sure most if not all IT depts. would have frowned on that and it could have easily cost your job so your actually lucky IMO - however i wouldnt have let it get that far, it does sound like your IT folks are slackers

but in your situation you made the following mistake

dont swap the PS and then raise hell with the IT manager, you should have just raised hell and left the pc alone, that way you have a basis for your argument, you have evidence to back up your claim - but by swapping the ps you just put yourself in a bad position to make your point clearly

you werent storing your files locally were you? lol

I'm an IT guy also, and I know exactly how this happens. Us IT guys get very comfortable in our jobs and start slacking off a lot if we aren't motivated. This is probably what happened and the guy just kept putting you off over and over. The best thing to do is to raise hell with their manager and he will surely get a fire lit under your tech. I probably wouldn't have been happy with you changing out the power supply, but it could have been worse.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom