Did we sell our soul for SB XLIV? (1 Viewer)

The Patriots have warped everyone’s perception on how difficult it is to win a championship.
^^^^^

Just like Alabama in college football under Saban......winning those things are much harder than it looks.

I get it is a "joke" 'tar.... but you got a Falcon logo as a 'tar.... wash yourself.

yep, this fact adds into the warped fan expectation narrative. Both of these players will be unfairly remembered for their last plays as a Saint ignoring their great college and pro careers. One play doesn't define a player. But if a player continually makes the same mistake, that's still unfair, but sort of understandable.
Agreed 100%. I hate that those were their last plays because we attach so much to the situations, which in reality is pretty unfair.

He had a nice season, as did Emmanuel Sanders, but Michael Thomas was hurt, and the corps as a whole was weak

My larger point is that after 2017, the Saints drafts were underwhelming, the cap was tight, and they were plugging skill spots with UFDA's, and journeymen FA's. Jared made plays but he was not trustworthy based on his other teams not sticking with him, and, Drew elevated him.

It was a killer fumble.

Saints 20, Bucs 13.​

3rd & 2 at NO 45​

(4:41 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass short right to J.Cook to TB 47 for 8 yards (A.Winfield). FUMBLES (A.Winfield), RECOVERED by TB-D.White at TB 42. D.White pushed ob at NO 40 for 18 yards (M.Thomas). Pass 4, YAC 4
The crazy thing is Cook was our 2nd most productive receiver both seasons as a Saint, by far. I just checked 2019 because I remember him near the top of our team in TDs and he was tied with CGM with 9. I have no qualms with Cook.

When it comes to the playoff game; Cook's fumble hurt, but so did 2 of Drew's interceptions. Off those interceptions, they only needed 23 yards for 14 points. That was the definition of an offensive team loss, because the Bucs only had 9 points that didn't come off turnovers. But with most of us knowing that it was probably Drew's last game and how he is viewed, the anger had to go somewhere. Enter Jared Cook...lol

true. I couldnt think of a quick example. Who is known for one great play?
The Giants WR Tyree with the helmet catch against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. That play won the game for the Giants and cost the Pats a perfect season.

I disagree with those that mean it’s quite the same story of 30 other teams. Nobody had a bountygate, nobody had a No Call, few had terrible let downs like the Miracle.
The heartbreakers with Seattle, SF, Tampa and Minnesota again, only add to a core of unique misfortunes and injustice.

I disagree with those that mean it’s quite the same story of 30 other teams. Nobody had a bountygate, nobody had a No Call, few had terrible let downs like the Miracle.
The heartbreakers with Seattle, SF, Tampa and Minnesota again, only add to a core of unique misfortunes and injustice.
The Bills lost 4 straight Super Bowls, 3 of those in blow out fashion.

Eagles went to 5 straight NFCCG

I’m too young but didn’t the Cowboys lose to the eventual champion like 6 years in a row in the late 60s early 70s? (Packers, Colts, Dolphins)

Last edited:
I’m too young but didn’t the Cowboys lose to the eventual champion like 6 years in a row in the late 60s early 70s? (Packers, Colts, Dolphins)
No Dallas lost to the Packers in 66 & 67. Cleveland in 68 & 69 and the Colts in 70. They beat the Dolphins in
71 to win their first championship.

I had to look it up,but remembered the Browns had beaten them twice in the semi- finals. Cleveland is The
forgotten team during that era. Jim Brown retired in 65,but they were still a very good team a few years after.

the saints definitely had a patch of the most creatively horrible season finishes in NFL history. Yes…there have been much worse Saints teams…but bountygate…Minnesota miracle…Rams screw job…brutal
Choking against the Bucs is maybe not quite in that tier, because it felt like that Saints team was overachieving on offense compared to other seasons, but it certainly stung, too. Especially as it marked the end of our greatest era.

The Patriots have warped everyone’s perception on how difficult it is to win a championship.

Pretty true. They made it look easy.

Patriots had the really great combination of HOF QB and genius defensive coach. They also had a team that bought in and did the extra work it took.

Patriots had a QB, much like Brees, who could make average Oline and Recievers play way above how they would elsewhere. Both teams won a lot of tight games and were play off bound for about 16 years because of this.

They also had a coach who was a genius at frustrating opposing offenses and whose meticulous attention to detail would win them games. TEams found it very hard to get into a groove or find momentum against them. Sean was an offensive coach and his teams were often outscored on. Even in the Super Bowl, it felt like they were just hanging on. The Patriots often took teams momentum away and then scored when they had to.

They also won quite a few play off games in the Freezing Cold where they had a big advantage on their opponents. Saints play in Dome.

They made it look easy. I think these 3 things contributed to them having more playoff success during the same era as the Saints.

Last edited:
‘10 - Saints go 11-5 and have to play a road wild card game at 7-9 Seattle. Beastquake Game.

‘11 - 13-3 good for the #3 seed (!!!) in the NFC. Saints lose to SF in Divisional round after rallying from 17-0, taking lead twice with 4 mins left. Would have hosted 6 seed Giants in NFCCG.

‘12 - Bounty Bullshirt

‘13 - Win first road playoff game, lose to Seattle

‘14 - 31st ranked pass Defense

‘15 - Worst pass D in NFL history. Set NFL records for most pass TD allowed, highest opposing passer rating. 32nd in pts allowed

‘16 - Third straight 7-9 season

‘17 - Minnesota Miracle (Divisional playoff)

‘18 - NOLA No Call (NFC Championship)

‘19 - Second 13-3 team in NFL history to win their division and no bye (2011 Saints) Lose to 6-seed Minnesota at home

‘20 - Cook fumbles driving to go up 2 scores with 10 min left. Brady retires Drew. COVID ruins our salary cap.

‘21 - NFL record for amount of different starters in a season. 4 QBs. Rams blow 17 pt lead, re-take lead with a min left. SF (no timeouts) scores TD to tie and wins in OT. Saints miss playoffs

‘22 - Sean Payton retires, 7-10

‘23 - Easiest schedule in the league, miss playoffs by one game

Absolutely ruthless times since hoisting the Lombardi, but I wouldn’t trade it.
If you're going to count Saints' woes, shouldn't that list start in 1967???

One is better than none.

Misery is still not as bad as Buffalo's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom