Did we sell our soul for SB XLIV? (1 Viewer)

Technically the Vikings are the 1969 NFL champions. SB 4 was the last year the NFL and AFL champions played.
Yeah, that's why I said a pre-SB NFL championship. An NFL championship like the Vikings in '69 where you go on to lose the Super Bowl is less like winning the "Greatest Game Ever Played" (1958 NFL Championship Game before the Super Bowl existed) and more like winning the NFC and going on to lose the Super Bowl.

1717572499393.png

Saints RB's were hurt all year, and the loss of Fujita to FA was a killer for the defense.

Saints defense was horrible all season long. Gregg was using Harper and Jenkins at linebacker and rushing because we had no linebackers. I'm still angry about them wasting Drew's career season.

In October, Aqib Talib exposed Jimmy Graham by shutting him down 1-on-1. and Patriots won on a no-call holding on their winning TD pass. It was a feel good season after 2012, but Saints were a finesse team that could not be taken seriously.

Saints' offense took forever to get rolling in that game. Then Marcus herpa derpa'd.

Saints got robbed in one of the all-time ref blunders. But, Saints blew a two-score lead in that game, and UFDA Dan Arnold dropped the game-sealing TD pass.

Saints self-owned by another stopgap underwhelming tight end, journeyman Jared Cook. Also, all teams were treated the same for Covid, it just hurt the Saints more because Mickey had maxed out the cap trying to get the last piece of a championship puzzle.

We're all validated and maximally thankful for the Lombardi. Especially those of us older than the Saints.
I have been a Saints fan since 1966 and was at the very first game. I have seen the absolute worst and absolute best of this team. That one super bowl win wiped away all the heartache and heartbreak that we suffered. I just hope we don't have to wait another 45 years to get rid of that stench of the Rams/refs and Minnesota miracle. The only saving grace is that 28 - 3 miracle that brings out a smile. 🤣🤣🤣. Here's to this upcoming season WHO DATS!!!!

I have been a Saints fan since 1966 and was at the very first game. I have seen the absolute worst and absolute best of this team. That one super bowl win wiped away all the heartache and heartbreak that we suffered. I just hope we don't have to wait another 45 years to get rid of that stench of the Rams/refs and Minnesota miracle. The only saving grace is that 28 - 3 miracle that brings out a smile. 🤣🤣🤣. Here's to this upcoming season WHO DATS!!!!
I don’t think the Rams game doesn’t hurt as much because Payton and Brees had already won a championship.
As much as that game sucked, I don’t think it hurts as much as the Browns close playoff losses in the 80s because they were still perceived as a loser franchise.

I come at it from the stand point that any team can win any year so it’s never disappointing that we don’t win it all. That we’ve even had a playoff spot more years than not since then should never be taken for granted. That was a decade and a half of belief that it could be our year. I don’t have that belief right now.

I come at it from the stand point that any team can win any year so it’s never disappointing that we don’t win it all. That we’ve even had a playoff spot more years than not since then should never be taken for granted. That was a decade and a half of belief that it could be our year. I don’t have that belief right now.
Not to get too far off topic, but the lasting effect of that 06-21 run is that this franchise is capable of building another championship run in the future.
That’s something that wasn’t even there during the Mora years.

Not to get too far off topic, but the lasting effect of that 06-21 run is that this franchise is capable of building another championship run in the future.
That’s something that wasn’t even there during the Mora years.
Personnel changes and time diminishes the know how. Not many left from 2009, much less the build up that led to it.

Personnel changes and time diminishes the know how. Not many left from 2009, much less the build up that led to it.
But it’s still a (somewhat) recent championship.
And if you really wanna get technical, you’re only four years removed from the last Payton/Brees season, so you’re not looking too far back.

The franchise doesn’t have that permanent black cloud hanging over everyone like the franchise has had from its founding until 2006.

That Rams game in the NFCCG ruined the NFL for me… it pulled back the curtain and showed me that OZ isn’t real.

This game is entertainment boys and girls… maybe back in the day it was close to legit… but now.. it’s purely entertainment.

With that said, I’m very happy they saw it fit to give us the ring in 2009 after coming back from Katrina. Make no mistake though… the league helped New Orleans A LOT that year!

Then they dropped the hammer on cocky CSP and reckless Gregg Williams.

CSP and Drew giveth and then the NFL taketh away.

The franchise doesn’t have that permanent black cloud hanging over everyone like the franchise has had from its founding until 2006.
The media clearly wants that back though… and the Saints are helping the narrative by keeping Dennis Allen.

Perception is reality… and the media is pushing the narrative that the Saints are back in the dumpster.

The media clearly wants that back though… and the Saints are helping the narrative by keeping Dennis Allen.

Perception is reality… and the media is pushing the narrative that the Saints are back in the dumpster.
But that doesn’t make sense.
Why target this one team?

The norm is /not/ to win Super Bowls. Always keep in mind that between 1/3 and 1/2 the league has never won a Super Bowl or a pre-Super Bowl NFL championship, including teams that have been around longer than the Saints like the Minnesota Vikings and Atlanta Falcons.

If the Saints "sold their soul," then these never-won teams must just be soulless.
Are you counting the defunct NFL teams?...

Hammond Pros?

Of the 32 Franchises still active only 8 have not won a championship/SB...

Failclowns
Panties
Bengals
Texans
Jags
Vikings
Titans
Bills

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom