Die Hard Questions (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The original has been on alot lately and 2 things I hadn't noticed before came to mind:

1. The opening scene. John McClane walks into the Nakatomi Building. He asks the guard at the front desk where he can find Holly McClane.

The guard responds with check the computer. John does and she's on the 30th floor.

John says questioningly, "30th Floor?"

The guard says,' Yes, they're the only ones left in the building"

MF when I came in and asked for Holly McClane why didn't you just say she's at the holiday party on the 30th floor, they're the only ones left in the building!? Why make me go through that whole song and dance with the computer??????? (Not what McClane actually says, but should have)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PFywL9CB6ds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. What company has their office holiday party on the evening of Christmas Eve?

The original has been on alot lately and 2 things I hadn't noticed before came to mind:

1. The opening scene. John McClane walks into the Nakatomi Building. He asks the guard at the front desk where he can find Holly McClane.

The guard responds with check the computer. John does and she's on the 34th floor.

John says questioningly, "34th Floor?"

The guard says,' Yes, the holiday party, they're the only ones left in the building"

MF when I came in and asked for Holly McClane why didn't you just say she's at the holiday party on the 34th floor!? Why make me go through that whole song and dance with the computer??????? (Not what McClane actually says, but should have)

2. What company has their office holiday party on the evening of Christmas Eve?

1. When the guard answered him, all he knew was John saw 34th floor...and being that they were the only ones left in the building, that had to be where she was. At the party.

2. The folks from Nakatomi :ezbill:

I always wondered how he taped the gun to his back.
#1 He's all sweaty and greasy and bloody. How does the tape hold on?
#2 It's on his freaking back. Have you ever tried to tape something onto your back?

The guard responds with check the computer. John does and she's on the 34th floor.

i remember noticing years ago after one viewing that when McClane scrolls through the names to look for his wife, he notices to his chagrin that she has reverted back to her maiden name, 'Gennaro'.. however, in another scene of the movie (or maybe in the end credits(?)), her maiden name is spelled as 'Generro'.. Anyway it was two diferrent spellings, and i believe there is something in the imdb trivia or goofs section about this discrepancy, i'm too lazy to look now.. in any case, DH is one of a select few movies that i love to turn on almost anytime it's aired, just to have on in the background.. as long as its not one of those channels that dubs out the cuss words, i hate when they do that ****.

i remember noticing years ago after one viewing that when McClane scrolls through the names to look for his wife, he notices to his chagrin that she has reverted back to her maiden name, 'Gennaro'.. however, in another scene of the movie (or maybe in the end credits(?)), her maiden name is spelled as 'Generro'.. Anyway it was two diferrent spellings, and i believe there is something in the imdb trivia or goofs section about this discrepancy, i'm too lazy to look now.. in any case, DH is one of a select few movies that i love to turn on almost anytime it's aired, just to have on in the background.. as long as its not one of those channels that dubs out the cuss words, i hate when they do that ****.

I guess the "real" point of having him get on the computer is so he (and the audience) can see that she is using her maiden name. Which they have an argument about later.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X3MmUF4xtBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

so after that obvious blunder by the movie makers, your suspension of disbelief stayed intact for the rest of the movie?:hihi:

could the guard have known that the party was the only thing left in the building but was just checking to see if she was in fact still one of the party goers or couldn't she have already been kicked out for being intoxicated and photo copying her backside on the Zerox?

1. Since she was generro maybe the guard didnt know who this mcclane woman was so had him check to see if she even worked there. Hello, mcfly. Pay attention.

2. Its the japanese. You can go out and get chinese also on christmas day or havent you seen a christmas story? Those crazy asians.

I just watched that classic with my son over the weekend (his first voyage!). Anyhoo, this was the hundreth time I watched it.....but first time in a year or so.

The scene that stopped my heart (I had to replay it for the wife) was just after Powell got the call to go to Nakatomi leaving the service station. The tall Nakatomi building was in the background.....and there it was, like an ancient myth....75 cent gas!!!!! :hihi:

I was never a fan of Moonlighting or Bruce Willis so I never saw this movie at the theatre and resisted renting it when it first came out on video for the longest time. My ex finally rented it because she liked Willis and I had to sit and watch it with her and was expecting it to suck big time. Imagine my surprise at how good it was and it is now one of my favs of all time and think that it and Pulp Fiction are the two best movies Willis ever made.

i find this to be a pretty good way to explain away a lot of things in life-- from bad clothing choices, to nonsensical movies, to even the very existence of some people who were concieved in that ill-begotten decade.

People born in the 80s are totally rad, man.
Best decade to be a kid ever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom