Different Perspective on the Tampa Game (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I went to the Tampa game and when I got back, I was curious as to why we had all these threads about us either abandoning the run or our running backs not running well.

Here is why:

I sat up top where you can clearly see the entire field. Much of the day, there were 7 or 8 people in the "box." On two plays there were actually 9 (that is correct, not a typo) people in the box. Even when there were only 7 in the box, we noticed the safety cheating up towards the line of scrimmage to stop the run as the ball was snapped or even cheating up just prior to the snap. In my section, we were surrounded by Saints fans and most of us were seeing the same thing.

We also saw how the defense was absolutely all over Reggie everywhere he went on the field. He was being used as a great decoy (this is why that reverse worked in Atlanta as well).

This is why we were all wanting them to throw and this is what they did. It certainly seemed better than just beating your head against the wall as we would have done in the past (although we did run it around 30 times).

Then, after reading some of the threads, I turned on the dvr and watched the game. There was one play where Reggie may have cut it back up through the hole. This one play apparently caused a rash of posts about the East-West v. North-South comments. And later, when one of the announcers tried to say the same thing again, the play-by-play guy pointed out that a block was missed.

I have yet to figure out how one play turns into a gazillion threads about how the guy cannot run or how we abandoned the running game especially when we ran it around 30 times.

I did notice in another thread that at 12:51 of the 3rd quarter the rb supposedly did something wrong (I think that is what is being said) but if you take a look at the play 90 is unblocked so the rb gets smacked.

Take a look at 6:27 to go in the first quarter, you will see the missed block on 97 and the comment from the announcer was "get up the field." I'm not sure where you would get up the field to when that happens.

Take a look also at 5:46, play action Reggie, the cb bites on it, leaving the tight end going down the field. This causes the safety to run towards that side of the field. 2 lbs also bite on it. Result: Henderson wide open because you had a lb on him who did not chip him and who certainly cannot cover him.

1:34: play action, cb on Colston bites on play action. Result: Colston completion.

There is a bunch more, but if you watch it (and yes, I know we don't get the coaches tape) in slow motion (it takes forever this way) you should get a different perspective.

Interestingly enough, all of us wanna be coaches (including myself) can say what we want. The Coach, however, seems to like what they are doing and he keeps winning. For me, after the misery of the last year, that is all that matters. :9:

One other thing that you might notice that I found interesting: TB did not respect our WRs. There were multiple plays where a lb is covering either Henderson or Colston and that is a mismatch all day long. I'm not sure why this happened multiple times. Any thoughts on why that was happening?

Jay Foster, on that one play in the 3rd quarter (if we are talking about the same play) Jeff Faine wiffed on his block and Reggie anticipated the block and ran right into the defender.

I saw that they were cheating up or bringing extra guys into the box too. I am reserving judgement on Reggies status until a team stops doing that, so i can see what he does against a team that defends him straight up.

Something else that bears pointing out is that since defenses are sending their safeties and LB's around DE to prevent Reggie from getting outside, it has allowed pockets to develop for Brees. How many times have we seen Brees just step up into the pocket, at the last second to avoid sacks? This is made possible due to the type of blitzing that opponents are forced to do. If Reggie was not there or a team conceded the outside to Reggie, just so they could get pressure up the middle, Brees would not be having this type of success. So, there may be a reason for Payton using Reggie and having Reggie keep testing the perimeters. It keeps defenses from bringing pressure up the gut. JMHO.

It's because, in the past, when Brees was at San Diego, teams would stack up to beat LaDanian, forcing Brees to throw. And, since the OC and the Recievers (sans Gates) sucked at SD, that plan worked more often than not. Teams are still trying it now, except that Brees is 1 year smarter and has Horn, Colston, and Henderson, all of whom are better than McCardell, Parker, and Ricochet Hands Caldwell combined.

There were multiple plays where a lb is covering either Henderson or Colston and that is a mismatch all day long. I'm not sure why this happened multiple times. Any thoughts on why that was happening?- JAY FOSTER

Yes, teams have no way of covering all of our weapons and they are FORCED to place a LB or FS/SS on one, which is going to end up in a mis-match. Unless they play 6 DB's, they cant match up. And if they do play 6 DB's, watch what Deuce does. Man this is great. Never thought I would be talking about the opposions inability to cover ALL of our weapons!

I agree that Payton is doing a great job using Reggie as a decoy because the opposing defense is keying so intently on him. However, he still needs to learn to take what the defense gives him. Don't dance, hit the hole. Sooner or later defenses are going to have to stop keying on him and pay attention to the other threats. That's when he'll bust loose. But for now, take the 2 or 3 yds instead of being dropped for a loss.

Great post Jay and excellent replies also. I have to agree with Efil4stnias, there are just too many weapons to cover. Pick your poison Pittsburg!

Excellent post Jay and I like the reply by Syracuse Saint. It's nice to have that kind of clarity on Bush's performance. I am really looking forward to the Steelers game.

Jay Foster, on that one play in the 3rd quarter (if we are talking about the same play) Jeff Faine wiffed on his block and Reggie anticipated the block and ran right into the defender.

If that is at 12:51, then that is the one. No where for the rb to go so he gets tagged by the defender.

Interestingly enough, if you notice, they stopped all our running backs because they wanted to stop the run. I thought our rbs actually did fairly well considering the stacking up of the defenders at the line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom