Directv signal loss, switch to broadband (1 Viewer)

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We’re having heavy rain tonight in DFW, and normally the DTV signal is lost. But tonight an option popped up to switch to our broadband internet connection. The connection was quick and is HD. It looks like they finally solved the signal loss issue. Assuming you have adequate high speed broadband. I looked it up and this service started on 10/20/22.

Have you ever been watching DIRECTV through your satellite and been forced to stare helplessly as the screen increasingly pixelates, then just wipes to black? Satellite interference is a ubiquitous problem for owners of these pay-TV packages, but now DIRECTV is rolling out a feature that should mitigate some of those viewing disasters.

The company has introduced what it calls SignalSaver, which is meant to preserve signal even during periods of satellite interference. SignalSaver detects such interference and automatically prompts the user to switch from the satellite signal to an internet signal, allowing customers to stream via broadband while the satellite sorts itself out. The feature is free to all DIRECTV residential subscribers, however, SignalSaver is not available for every channel on DIRECTV upon rollout. Currently, SignalSaver is available for 83 of DIRECTV’s channels including CNN, ESPN, and The Weather Channel.

We’re having heavy rain tonight in DFW, and normally the DTV signal is lost. But tonight an option popped up to switch to our broadband internet connection. The connection was quick and is HD. It looks like they finally solved the signal loss issue. Assuming you have adequate high speed broadband. I looked it up and this service started on 10/20/22.

Did you happen to test local channels? I see only “83” channels available but doesn’t state what channels.

I've used here over summer several times. Obviously not as crisp, but I was pleasantly surprised instead of staring at 771 code. Lol.

Did you happen to test local channels? I see only “83” channels available but doesn’t state what channels.
I didn't test a local channel. I was watching ESPN at the time. Next time I'll try a local, but it's been raining hard so infrequently here, who knows when that may happen again.

Yeah it was immediately responsive for me on Sun night when storms blew in, was shocked to see it as an option...not sure if I am more amazed they are actually trying to aide/improve a product or that it took them this long to make it an option?!

I can usually switch to Standard Def video during a rain storm and get by, but with some of these Texas gully washers you're SOL...which is what I'll be when NFL Ticket goes streaming cause I ain't got no good internet...

Yeah it was immediately responsive for me on Sun night when storms blew in, was shocked to see it as an option...not sure if I am more amazed they are actually trying to aide/improve a product or that it took them this long to make it an option?!
When ATT bought DTV, it put a crimp in DTV's ability to innovate as the strategy always seemed to be a moving target of how to handle DTV with ATT with Warner Media. We saw wireless set top boxes in the Genie line of products, but that was about it. It's possible that once ATT sold off DTV it allowed them to be more innovative. Signal loss was always the biggest issue and it appears they solved it.

Next step would be an option in the Menu to toggle seamless switching when signal is lost, rather than requiring user interaction each time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom