N/S Dirty Birds Could Move On From Cousins Sooner Than Later (2 Viewers)

1. Penix is insurance for an old QB coming off a major injury.

2. Penix is the future.

3. The idea that Penix is 2-4 years away is about as dumb as it gets. He is as NFL ready coming out as any QB. He has more experience and works progressions and has he pocket better than any QB in the draft.

It was a great pick and one that makes me jealous.
Penix has had his fair share of injuries. I'd say that's a concern, IMO of course. Outside of this, I think drafting a top tier prospect in the first round was not a bad look given what you mention about Cousins.

I looked at plenty of college football and Penix was probably the best pure passer in the draft. I know he doesn't do all that running around until someone is open because he missed his first 2 reads like others (lol), but when it comes down to a quarterback seeing the field and passing the ball, you'll be hard pressed to find too many better. If you kept reading the other post, it was clarified.

Again, he didn't get the fanfare that others got because he doesn't make the "Mahomes like" plays and WIlliams/Maye had the 2022 hype but when you actually put up tape and look at the general consensus, it tells a different story. The eye test told a lot of people one thing but film review showed something else.
I agree, I was sold 100% when I posted comments earlier this year about Penix. But the reason he fell was because he didn’t light it up vs Mich and the injury concern. But neither of those two reasons take away from the fact that he’s a legit Qb. I like that he’s older too, he should start sooner than later, imo.

Many of you who think drafting Penix was dumb, yall are not thinking about the big picture. No GM in our Division actually/truly believes that their team is Super Bowl ready now or even next year. In fact, every GM (in NFC South) probably feels like they can win the division once again with 9 wins. The Falcons can literally play Kirk and let Penix sit and develop. If he takes two years to develop, then at that time, Bryce Young could be a bust, and the Panthers would have to reset. No telling what Baker Mayfield is at this point bc he’s been a mixed bag. Plus, we (ourselves) may be moving on from DC4. So it’s not like this is the NFC South when we had all of those MVP type QBs playing each other. Looking into the future (two years), The Falcons could have the upper hand in the QB department bc of everyone else’s situation. In addition, if Kirk gets hurt, then it becomes “Penix” time faster. So, I don’t see how it is a bad pick. Kirk is going into year 13. It’s no different than if we would’ve taken Penix (or a QB in the 1st), with DC4’s contract. If we were to do that, then yall would’ve loved the pick. As many of yall were wanting a QB in the 1st rd🤣
Don't include me in the "ya'll" category. I thought it was a dumb pick considering everything.

Don't include me in the "ya'll" category. I thought it was a dumb pick considering everything.
Why was/is it a dumb pick? They have an out of Kirk’s contract after 2025. Is a two year developed QB not better than a rookie, if they went that route? Kirk will have completed his 14th season then. You think he is playing out that contract?

Why was/is it a dumb pick? They have an out of Kirk’s contract after 2025. Is a two year developed QB not better than a rookie, if they went that route? Kirk will have completed his 14th season then. You think he is playing out that contract?
#1, I despise the Falcons, #2, I wouldn't pay 100 million guaranteed to opt out after 2 years, #3, I despise Atlanta, #4 I despise Atlanta.
Y

Penix isn't a top 10 talent. Even if they never signed Kirk, Penix would have still been viewed as a reach.

And yet he wasn't drafted as high as you think he should've been. You also keep pressing this one part of his game whilst ignoring the reasons he "fell". I know you listed those reasons, but you keep falling back on this one thing. You have to take it ALL into account.
Pennix could very well prove he was overlooked and the many got it wrong. He has the skill and potential to do so. Only because he's Falcon, I hope not. Injuries and how Michigan dominated them (or knew their plays beforehand ;)) moved other QBs ahead of him, IMO.

Penix isn't a top 10 talent.
Only said by people who care more about hype than what actually happens on the field.

Pennix could very well prove he was overlooked and the many got it wrong. He has the skill and potential to do so. Only because he's Falcon, I hope not. Injuries and how Michigan dominated them (or knew their plays beforehand ;)) moved other QBs ahead of him, IMO.
Exactly.....he is a Falcon, so screw him, but he has talent.

Only said by people who care more about hype than what actually happens on the field.

Exactly.....he is a Falcon, so screw him, but he has talent.

Yea he is better than JJ McCarthy. Still not a top 10 talent.

#1, I despise the Falcons, #2, I wouldn't pay 100 million guaranteed to opt out after 2 years, #3, I despise Atlanta, #4 I despise Atlanta.
Y
We all hate Atlanta. Doesn’t mean that you can’t be a realist regarding the situation. Had we done it, I’m sure many would spin this into a good thing, and been highly “optimistic” about it.

Is this fact or opinion?

Is Penix is a top 10 player and the best pure pocket passer in the draft a fact or opinion?

It's all opinion until we see what he can do on the field. But none of it changes the fact that it was dumb of the Falcons to guarantee Cousins $100 Milllion and then draft Penix either not knowing that he left Minny because they told him they would be drafting a 1st round QB or not bothering the check. And they doubled down on that by not telling him until they were already on the clock about to draft Penix.

If they had done none of those things then taking Penix was still likely a reach, but it wouldn't be a crazy move if their evaluation was that he was a franchise QB. I think they are wrong about that, but I wouldn't think it was a dumb move had they not already given Counsins $100 million in guaranteed money and had he not left Minny because the Vikings told him they were going to draft a QB in the 1st.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom