Do/Did you have your kids watch your favorite movies from when you were a kid? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did you have your kids watch the movies you loved when you were a kid?

Goonies, Top Gun, Karate Kid, Jaws etc. and if so did they love them as much as you did or were they bored to death and a little bit of your soul died?

We don't push it that hard - but sometimes.

They have enjoyed the Star Wars movies, ET, the Never Ending Story, Gremlins, and Princess Bride.

Others like the Goonies didn't go over.

But Jaws? That movie is terrifying and is rated R. Bravo's annual Halloween scary scene rankings continually has it at or near the top. My kids are 9 and 11 and we go to the beach quite a bit - still not ready for that.

We don't push it that hard - but sometimes.

They have enjoyed the Star Wars movies, ET, the Never Ending Story, Gremlins, and Princess Bride.

Others like the Goonies didn't go over.

But Jaws? That movie is terrifying and is rated R. Bravo's annual Halloween scary scene rankings continually has it at or near the top. My kids are 9 and 11 and we go to the beach quite a bit - still not ready for that.
Jaws is rated PG

I have, with mixed results.

My kids (19 and 21) thought Breakfast Club was terrible. My son broke my heart when he told me Die Hard was 'boring AF.'

But my daughter's favorite movie is Ferris Bueller and then after seeing Spiderman No Way Home she asked me to binge through the entire Spidey movie catalog.

Daughter > Son

we watched Spaceballs with the dude when he was about 11...he said it was the funniest movie he had ever seen while missing 75% of the jokes....

he laughed at the animation of the Terminator at the end of the original movie but he really liked T2

not sure if there were many others we tried

Hello Islanders,

I’m guessing you’re read the header on this piece and are scratching your head. “Did he mean NOT the greatest kids movie ever made,” you’re asking yourself? Nope.

I’ve done book signings where parents have asked me what a good age is for their kids to watch JAWS for the first time. I tell them that both of my grandchildren saw it when there were a few days old – my son was up late with the newborns and watched JAWS while holding them.

When Jeff Kramer meets a young fan and their parents he asks the little ones if they’ve seen the film. If they say yes, he jokingly tells the parents he’s going to call social services on them! But when you think about it, JAWS is the perfect film for anyone between the age os of 6 and 12.

When they’re little, kids love watching movies, sometimes over and over again. I could put my 7 year old son in front of a television playing Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and he would watch it two or three times in a row. The beauty about multiple viewings is that each time he caught something new. The same can be said for JAWS.

The first time kids watch it, and I’ve attended dozens of screenings that are packed with youngsters whose parents brought them along, they are tense. All they’ve heard is that there’s a big shark so they spend the first viewing with their eyes glued to the screen, looking for any sign of the big beast. The next time they watch it, they’re a little more relaxed and spend more time following the characters and getting the jokes............

I have, with mixed results.

My kids (19 and 21) thought Breakfast Club was terrible. My son broke my heart when he told me Die Hard was 'boring AF.'

But my daughter's favorite movie is Ferris Bueller and then after seeing Spiderman No Way Home she asked me to binge through the entire Spidey movie catalog.

Daughter > Son
how can anyone think Die Hard is boring?

how can anyone think Die Hard is boring?

I have no idea. I tried to reason with him and got nowhere. I think he was just being contrary. I probably said no to him about going out or giving him cash or something.

Jaws is rated PG

Well I'll be - you're right.

Apparently the original cut was rated R but they softened it a bit to get the PG rating for the summer blockbuster season.

Definitely PG-13 these days. I guess I might let my kids watch it, my 9 year old loves scary movies and wants to watch it. She watched Meg-2, which is PG-13 (and I didn't say she could) and was fine with it. The Meg is rated R.

Well I'll be - you're right.

Apparently the original cut was rated R but they softened it a bit to get the PG rating for the summer blockbuster season.

Definitely PG-13 these days. I guess I might let my kids watch it, my 9 year old loves scary movies and wants to watch it. She watched Meg-2, which is PG-13 (and I didn't say she could) and was fine with it. The Meg is rated R.

Today's PG-13 is probably an 80s R

And Jaws created the summer blockbuster - it wasn't really a thing before that

Wife had a more forceful hand - Star Wars and Princess Bride being held as religious texts more than just movies
The older boy succumbed, the younger a bit more resistant
But the older one has started to request ‘older’ movies and shows
Bc he really enjoys Red Dead Redemption and Fallout he’s wanted to watch westerns
This went well with Tombstone but did NOT with Good Bad Ugly (I knew it would be hard - he talked the wife into getting it, I would have started him with Josey Wales and worked backwards)

He had similar issue with original Planets/Apes - just too much ‘atmospheric’ storytelling for him

even as a kid I liked older movies, and recognized then how much slower paced they were compared to today's (then 80s) movies

I can imagine today's kids thinking that 30s to 70s movies move at a glacial pace

anyone expose their kids to black and white movies?

I never forced my daughter to watch them, but she has seen several to mixed results. She asked to watch the original Star Wars trilogy and liked them. She has never shown much interest in the prequels. She does not get the Indiana Jones movies. She loves the Princes Bride and is a fan of The Fifth Element.

She also liked Life of Brian, but sadly does not get Holy Grail.

But, she is a big anime and manga fan so it's amazing that she likes any of those movies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom