Do squatters have more protections than legal homeowners? (2 Viewers)

What recent upswing in squatters?
After seeing this thread, I just happened to walk through a room and a center right news show was on and it had some scroll about squatters, and that’s the sun total if squatter news I’ve heard
Obviously we’re are several years into an urban housing crisis with banks sitting on vacant properties so squatting is not out of the realm of possibility, but is there really an upswing?

It seems more like someone hearing a crime anecdote from a friend and complaining about an upswing in crime even though rates are dropping

Or the same news feed that brings us such hits as “cities are dangerous - be afraid” and “immigrants are dangerous - be afraid!” and “there’s drugs in Halloween candy, be afraid!”

Ain’t mad at it

To a degree gentrification is going to happen
But it shouldn’t go unchecked
And it's ok to take over an individual's private property to prevent that?

And it's ok to take over an individual's private property to prevent that?
Quick response now, maybe more later
And it’s ok for municipal govt and banks to disenfranchise a community then when property is bottom barrel, give low % loans to those same ‘individuals’ to pick over the bones on groups who had been there for generations?

Quick response now, maybe more later
And it’s ok for municipal govt and banks to disenfranchise a community then when property is bottom barrel, give low % loans to those same ‘individuals’ to pick over the bones on groups who had been there for generations?
No it isn't but that doesn't justify what we are talking about.

We have really turned into a "the ends justify the means" society where ideology is religion and principles go out the window.

No it isn't but that doesn't justify what we are talking about.

We have really turned into a "the ends justify the means" society where ideology is religion and principles go out the window.
Then probably the best is to focus on healthcare and not sick care
Put most of our focus on keeping communities healthy rather than letting a few exploit the sick

Then probably the best is to focus on healthcare and not sick care
Put most of our focus on keeping communities healthy rather than letting a few exploit the sick
That's fine but in the meantime that doesn't make this ok.

I'm not sure why people seem to think that money is or should be a source of morality

That's fine but in the meantime that doesn't make this ok.

I'm not sure why people seem to think that money is or should be a source of morality
well even in this instance you're focusing on the 'right' of property
that bc Ramsay 'bought' the space (more than likely got cherry loan to help 'revitalize' the area) then that's all the context and perspective we need to assess the situation
we know it's 'wrong' for Russia to invade Ukraine
we know it's 'wrong' for Israel to occupy Palestine
but our compass gets a bit wobbly when it's rich people doing the same thing to disadvantaged neighborhoods
i'm arguing it's more similar than not

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom