Does it worry anyone that.... (1 Viewer)

Are the Saints to pass oriented?

• Too much pass

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Too much run

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balanced enough

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Who the heck cares as long as we win?

Votes: 61 69.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not with Brees. Typically teams focus on "running the ball" as a key to success because the passing game tends to be inconsistent. I mean 40% of most pass plays end in incompletions stopping the clock, then you throw in sack potential (which are drive killers) and interceptions (which are drive killers and field position killers), running seems a lot safer (it is).

So a team that runs well never seems to lose games it leads in because it never screws up and always shorterns the game (Pittsburgh).

BUT

There are exceptions. Notably is the Charlie Weis coordinated Patriots who were heavily pass first, second, run a draw play, then pass it three more times. The reason that worked was the faith they had in Brady.

I think we've got a similiar situation here. Brees was, what, 8-8 on that killer 8:30 drive vs Philly? Brees is like a well oiled running game. He just doesn't screw up. He doesn't take sacks, he rarely throws picks, and when he needs too, he always seems to complete the pass. That's as good as any running game, right?

Add the point that the short, high percentage swing passes are a type of 'long-handoff'....with the RB usually put in 'space' upon completion.

Add the point that the short, high percentage swing passes are a type of 'long-handoff'....with the RB usually put in 'space' upon completion.

Has anyone heard Payton or anyone in the organization mention why they aren't sending Reggie up the field on pass routes? Everything is sideways. He seems like a perfect player to send on slants or deep seam routes against LBers. They have thrown 1 deep pass to him all year which went for 30 against Car., nothing before or since..........I can't understand why.

Simply: coach game planning perfectly against a team, Buc's have been causing some trouble during the run so the passing game was the best bet, Of course im trying to figure out why brees was saying friday that they were going to run the ball more so buc's better be ready, was this to decieve them? if so, very clever.

Sometimes we will win despite an ineffective run game (today), and sometimes depending on the pass will kill us (last week). It's akin to a basketball team depending on 3-pointers too much, or baseball teams swinging for the fences on every at-bat. Sure you'll get some residual success as well (good underneath passes, offensive rebounds/putbacks, multi-bag hits), but once the other team can wipe out an entire option for your team, you eventually become easier to defeat....

A lot of our passes are high-percentage dumpoffs, which eat up the clock and move the chains just as well as runs. So no, I'm not worried.

we've been so mediocre so long i dont really care aslong as we are winning right now.

Has anyone heard Payton or anyone in the organization mention why they aren't sending Reggie up the field on pass routes? Everything is sideways. He seems like a perfect player to send on slants or deep seam routes against LBers. They have thrown 1 deep pass to him all year which went for 30 against Car., nothing before or since..........I can't understand why.

If you watch the plays where reggie goes into a pass route, it is usually after he makes his read on blitz pickup, or after he throws a block. In the saints offense, backs have a first responsibility to help the o line. i would love to see reggie run a deeper route, but I would also like to see Brees finish the season healthy. When he is a slot receiver, he has actually made a few catches downfield (one against carolina comes to mind) but normally they have a hard time getting matchups with reggie at WR, and instead get mismatches with the second receiver....usually colston. So the ball goes to colston.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom