Don't blame this all on Drew.. (1 Viewer)

It’s the play calling. I’ve said this ad nauseum the last couple weeks, but how many times, on 3rd and long, did we throw the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage? It’s nauseating at this point. And extremely predictable. I believe Drew still has what it takes to drive the ball down the field. I’m not so sure Payton believes it.
I feel like this is it too, like they are not on the same page or something. It feels off for sure. I blame Payton more tho b/c he just doesn't stick to the run when it's working. If you feel like your QB doesn't have it then why draw up silly plays and/or plays behind the LOS. Strange.

Nobody is blaming Drew but his inability to throw the ball really limits our offense.

Our offense put up 30 points and it wasn’t some garbage time scoring. That game was back and forth because of Mr. Old arm commanded an efficient offense. He doesn’t do sexy bombs, but we were step for step with GB and even had a chance to pull awayuntil Payton got cute and TH fumbled.

Last week Drew was 60% responsible for us losing. This week I can’t give him more than 20%. We moved the ball. He protected the ball. He conducted methodical drives. We put up enough to win. Defense wet the bed big time.

Man...I never thought I’d agree with a Duncan tweet. It does bring home the point though. We aren’t going to win many ball games with the kind of effort our defensive line and secondary units have put up these two weeks. Rankins and Jordan have been the shockers for me....just non-existent out there. It’s been depressing to watch.

Man...I never thought I’d agree with a Duncan tweet. It does bring home the point though. We aren’t going to win many ball games with the kind of effort our defensive line and secondary units have put up these two weeks. Rankins and Jordan have been the shockers for me....just non-existent out there. It’s been depressing to watch.
I hate it when I agree with Scooter, and he is right

I just watched the game(I'm overseas so always a day behind).

I am surprised coming to SR this morning. For the last 2-weeks people have been griping about how poor the offense played. Last night was not like the last 2 weeks. The offense was methodical and efficient. Putting up 30 legitimate points. Brees was much more accurate and spread the ball around. The long bombs are gone but when you complete 80 percent of the short ones who cares really?? And did you see Kamara? Dude is worth every bit of the cash. We probably should have run the ball even more because those runs were gashing them all night. When MT comes back this offense can roll. We show signs of life. I expected a blowout and we hung step for step with a team who is already humming.

The defense on the other hand. It's bad. Very bad. I mean we have a dangerous returner in Harris, but he is a non factor if he only gets 1 chance every 2 games. The backend coverage is AWFUL. Those big plays were easy for Rodgers and co.

And the penalties....gotta stop with the easy ones. But the refs tried to do everything to give the game to the Pack. A few really questionable calls extended drives....then that spot on the first down that SP had to challenge. I mean IN REAL TIME it wasn't even close. You cannot tell me they actually thought he got it.

Defensive stars outside of Davis need to produce very quickly or we will be in such a deep hole we can't get out. 1-2 for ME is ok. I expected sloppy play the first month because that's who we Are, unfortunately.

So after typing all this my point is anyone blaming Brees for this loss is just grasping at straws. It was clearly on the defense.

What's that saying about lies, damned lies and statistics?

The defence is an issue. I agree. It has been terribly disappointing. And that's without saying anything of the referees who made the task of beating a good team even harder.

But about 80 of Drew's yards against the Raiders came when they were two scores up and willing to give up the middle of the field at the end of the game last week. We had to score twice in 90 seconds then -- and we didn't even attempt to win it.

And again on SNF, one player put the entire offence on his back and nearly willed the team to victory: Alvin Kamara, who had 139 receiving yards to go with 58 on the ground. Let's not forget that Drew was credited with 60 yards for the checkdown pass to Kamara who proceeded to single-handedly turn the Packers defence inside out when we appeared to be on the cusp of another stalled drive. AK41's contribution makes Drew's stat line look better, but it doesn't tell the whole story. In fact, I'd argue that it disguises it. The reality is, Kamara isn't going to do that every week, and if our opponent schemes him out of the game or limits his effectiveness, we're going to see more impotent drives and a continuing decline in our TOP.

I love Drew. No sportsperson has done more for New Orleans than he has. Very few sportspeople have given me, as a fan, the amount of joy Drew has in the black and gold. I used to fret about what would become of this team without Drew at the helm, particularly during those awful years of 2012 and 2014 to 2016 when he seemed to be the sole reason we were a mid-table team rather than the worst team in the entire league. In 2020 though, I am more concerned about what will happen if he stays there.

Right now he is doing little more than acting as an uninspired, and uninspiring, game manager. Maybe he won't push the ball down the field because he has lost some confidence, and perhaps CGM's return in the next few weeks might restore some of that. But if it doesn't, the onus is on the head coach to have a very uncomfortable discussion before the whole season becomes unsalvageable, which is something we cannot afford given the talent we are carrying on the team this season (and will be paying for in 2021 and beyond).

Look at it this way, maybe we'll peak by the playoffs rather than too early. Right now I'm just watching a team that seems to be on the wrong page a lot.
I know one thing, the D needs some help.

There’s no doubt that we are limited with Brees. Brees doesn’t even trust his own arm anymore. This is the first year where I’m no longer sure he gives us the best chance to win. Severely limited on offense is an understatement.

The 3rd and 5 bunch screen to Kamara was one of the worst play calls Payton has ever made. Everyone knew that was coming. I don’t believe Kamara lined up there all game. It was over before it started.

The defense is the main reason, no doubt. They’ve been awful at best. The secondary has been next level abused. Cam Jordan seems to have declined nearly as much as Drew. And for the love of god and all things holy, quit listening to anyone who tells you Marcus Williams is a top 5 safety.

But the gargantuan disparity in penalty yardage (212-23) the past 2 games is alarming. The refs might not be the reason we’ve lost, but theyve definitely been a 12th man for the other team.

Why is it seemingly acceptable to accept that Drew isn’t comfortable with another receiver? Just throw the ball to the open guy.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom