Don't wear a Puerto Rican shirt in "America" (1 Viewer)

What part of "Make America Great Again" has Puerto Ricans in it?

/satire

Until we teach our children differently over several generations, which I just don’t see happening.

You know, it's weird, but I'm not sure how much is learned behavior and how much is inborn social bias...

I teach middle school. There is a pretty fair amount of fraternization between kids of all races at this level. Then you see those same kids when they get to high school (we share a campus) and there's already some obvious self-imposed segregation starting to happen.

And anecdotally, a lot of my friends from school growing up who never displayed any kind of racial bias at all (and indeed would hang out with black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. students like it was not big thing) have, in adulthood, turned into card carrying MAGA types (or in some cases full blown alt-righties) screeching about race constantly.

I think the sad truth is we're hardwired for tribalism and race presents the easiest way to separate people into groups. And whatever the reason, my observation is that those things tend to increase with age. It's not really kids that are the issue, it's adults. Maybe it's learned behavior, but I've seen enough of it manifest that I can find no parental influence on that I believe there are other factors at play.

my god, all the crap going on now over shirts and hats. OMG! when will it end.

my god, all the crap going on now over shirts and hats. OMG! when will it end.

The day humans either annihilate themselves from the planet, or some asteroid induces an ELE.

It may be a continuation of big city turf issues between rival ethnic groups.

Same issue broke out at Marine Corps Camp Pendleton in the 1970s when I was there. Puerto Rican flag license plates, shirts, caps, decals, etc caused fights all over the place.

It was mostly the guys from Philly and NYC, who brought their home turf wars with them.

Needs one of these I guess...

oh man, I so want to rock that shirt. I may be out of flocks to give in this lifetime anyway but I am at least curious if it would offend anybody from Latin American descent.

as for the video, I am not really all that impressed by the fact that there are really disturbed and ignorant old people in the world. Probably been the same since someone first started chewing their food for them hundreds of centuries ago. The cop response is a major problem though. I wish someone would just blow up facebook, I am so tired of seeing this video. Please stop sharing people; everyone has seen it and they have seen the first 2 seconds of it 100 times.

My boss wears one all the time. He’s a big Hispanic guy.

As far as I know (waiting on results) I have 0 genes from anywhere south. I already know I have a good bit of Indian but its all North American tribes that I know of. I would prefer not to offend. I was engaged to a Mexican woman once and spent a good bit of time down there. People in general here have no conception of it. I had no stress during all my time down there because they still have a thing called a family instead of individuals sharing a home and a loose understanding of why. One time one of the neighbors roof was torn off during a storm and everybody from the whole neighborhood took off for one day and fixed it in one day. We have more luxuries but I really don't know if they get us anything.

As far as I know (waiting on results) I have 0 genes from anywhere south. I already know I have a good bit of Indian but its all North American tribes that I know of. I would prefer not to offend. I was engaged to a Mexican woman once and spent a good bit of time down there. People in general here have no conception of it. I had no stress during all my time down there because they still have a thing called a family instead of individuals sharing a home and a loose understanding of why. One time one of the neighbors roof was torn off during a storm and everybody from the whole neighborhood took off for one day and fixed it in one day. We have more luxuries but I really don't know if they get us anything.

Out of curiosity, where in Mexico?

way south. 30 minutes from Belize in fact. edit: more like a couple of hours. Memory back then is foggy lol

I won't pretend to have much knowledge of people from the northern part but I have known some illegal immigrants who were pretty good people just trying to do better for their families.

Last edited:
The guy is a drunken idiot and the cop seemed to be afraid to take action.

I was wearing a saints hat once and a drunken bears fan got in my face. It got heated. Had it been video’d, I suspect it would have gone viral.

Are all bears fans drunken idiots? Well.... yeah. Bad example.... nevermind

way south. 30 minutes from Belize in fact. edit: more like a couple of hours. Memory back then is foggy lol

I won't pretend to have much knowledge of people from the northern part but I have known some illegal immigrants who were pretty good people just trying to do better for their families.

State of Quintana Roo, then?
Just curious. I was born in Yucatan.

yep, I had to fly into Cancun USA and then drive south for 5 hours to visit. Sometimes she would just meet me in Cancun

do you still have family there?

Last edited:
You know, it's weird, but I'm not sure how much is learned behavior and how much is inborn social bias...

I teach middle school. There is a pretty fair amount of fraternization between kids of all races at this level. Then you see those same kids when they get to high school (we share a campus) and there's already some obvious self-imposed segregation starting to happen.

And anecdotally, a lot of my friends from school growing up who never displayed any kind of racial bias at all (and indeed would hang out with black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. students like it was not big thing) have, in adulthood, turned into card carrying MAGA types (or in some cases full blown alt-righties) screeching about race constantly.

I think the sad truth is we're hardwired for tribalism and race presents the easiest way to separate people into groups. And whatever the reason, my observation is that those things tend to increase with age. It's not really kids that are the issue, it's adults. Maybe it's learned behavior, but I've seen enough of it manifest that I can find no parental influence on that I believe there are other factors at play.
sure, bit not just for tribalism
we have impulses both for security and for exploration - if i was to make up a % i'd say 80% of us have a predominate trait for cave dwelling (security) and 20% of us with the dominate trait for hunting/exploring/novel experience
BUT i also feel pretty strongly that we possess both traits - so if all of out hunter die, 20% of the remaining cave dwellers would "discover" the trait for exploration

and aside for secutiry, i don't see much about biology that favors homogeneity over heterogeneity - so while we can appreciate that like wants like (more often) there's no reason to encourage it - especially in an educational environment, since exposure to new ideas, perspectives, learning styles is a net educational gain
when i had lunch duty, i would often thank those lunch tables that were mixed ("hey thank y'all for having an inclusive table") and like you're saying it was precious few - if there were 50 tables, 3 -5 of them might have been mixed
i wouldn't chastise homogeneous tables, but i would definitely support diversity

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom