Drew’s decision could be coming within the next month [Merged] (1 Viewer)

March 17th is the date his current contract voids and forces the acceleration of $5.4 million in signing bonus from 2021. raising his cap hit to 21.3 million instead of the 15.9 million 2020 currently will cost the Saints. so a decision needs to be prior to that in time for him and Loomis to agree to how much more his cost will be in order to play again this coming season. There is NO mechanism to spread out the 15.9 million for this season. Only new money can be spread out over the life of a contract but at least league minimum most be charged each year as salary.

I truly thought he was hanging them up after this season. I’ll be eating some crow if he comes back. And that’s fine by me. Also as another poster said, I’d hate to see him in another jersey now.

I read that article yesterday, before seeing this thread. When I read it, I thought at the time it sounded like Drew is going to retire. So you're saying he will return in a part-time role, Swimmer? What does that mean? Mentor whoever the starting QB is throughout the season and be ready in an emergency role if the starter goes down? Alternate series with the "starter"?

Hey Domination! I'm still burnt out from the other thread. But let me see if I can help answer.

Coach Pete said
1) In Apri that Brees informed SP and the Front office that he was planning to retire to spend more time in with the family and the 2019 season would be his last. He wanted the Saints to be able to successfully plan beyond him
2) After this last season he said that the Saints are going to try just about everything to get Burrow
3) If they got Burrow or keep Hill, the Saints want to keep Brees, but as a mentor and part-time starter/player (I wasn't clear on part-time player or starter

I hope that helps

Why is everyone assuming Hill is the future? Isn’t TB5 in his mid-20’s?

All Reddy did was go 5-0 facing a brutal schedule and defense played its best sine the Dome Patrol while he was leading. How do you let that guy go.

Impersonally think SP is too smart to let him go

Wilson giving his starting spot in the Pro Bowl today? Was that a hint?

Interesting, I've been leaning towards Burrow, which is likely a dream, Teddy or Taysom. That Wilson move today was something that would be done by a class act like Wilson possibly because Brees told him this maybe his last game. That is the 1st time that Brees possible departure truly hit me. And it moved me. Right now, it's hard to imagine the Saints without Brees under center. Not sure I am really ready for that.

IDK. Brees is a competitor. The season ended on a sour note. I would think that he would want to return for one more year to try and make a SB run one more time. All of this depending on who we can surround him with.

IDK. Brees is a competitor. The season ended on a sour note. I would think that he would want to return for one more year to try and make a SB run one more time. All of this depending on who we can surround him with.

I'm not sure if you've heard, but the last 3 seasons ended on a sour note.

Hate to say it, but I'm pretty much sold that Drew's gonna hang it up. I've figured that he would wait until about a month after his last season before announcing it. Any sooner and he'd feel like he's taking away the spotlight from his teammates, team, and the NFL (or at least the team that wins the superbowl). I figured he'd wait a month no matter how that last season went. Superbowl or not. He wouldn't break it to us at anytime that would take away from anyone else. That's just his style.

So him saying that he's gonna take a month to assess, and that he's kinda got a plan on how to go about it... and then Russel Wilson stepping back and letting Drew start the pro-bowl... Man, I hate it, but I think that in him mind, it's over. Maybe that month will make him re-think it, but if he had to give an answer today, I think it would be good-bye.

Makinze Alexander was on the Jim Rome show the other day and he talked about why he retired. Said that he spent more of his time during the season just trying to rest, message, therapy, etc... than he did practicing or anything else. Said that he often wasn't as prepared for games as he needed to be because of that. I'd imagine that Drew also has an extended recovery time between games. At some point, it's less about football and more about a full time job just trying to be in good enough condition to play on Sunday.

Gonna hate it if vs the vikings was his last game. But I guess at least I can say that I was there.

Last edited:
All Reddy did was go 5-0 facing a brutal schedule and defense played its best sine the Dome Patrol while he was leading. How do you let that guy go.

Impersonally think SP is too smart to let him go
We scored 22.3 points per game during this stretch with Bridgewater.

We averaged 32.4 ppg with Brees.

I hope you can see a difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom