Drew Brees stepping away from the pass rush (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed the last few weeks that Drew has been just taking a small step or two and buying sometimes 2-3 extra seconds. He's very good at not panicking when the pass rush gets close and just doing a little to out maneuver the D--and he does it while looking downfield the whole time.

I don't remember seeing another qb doing this so well on a consistent basis. Add incredible pocket awareness to his list of positives.

ULL_Scott

Reaction score
I have noticed that too. He has great awareness in the pocket and knows how to time the rush so he can escape it. Also, good job on our line to be consistent and not let anyone break into the pocket.

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
He has made that OLine look so good all year. For a guy that's a bit shorter than ideal, he's moving well in the pocket and locating the open guy real well.

joe87

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It's a great feeling to be able to have this much faith in our QB. Seems like after those first 2 games he's become aware of everything. Has he fumbled since the Packers game?

TPS

Reaction score
I've been saying this for months.
----------------------------------------------
Uncanny pocket presence allows him to slide or move up in the pocket unlike a certain former New Orleans Saints QB.

TPS

dat dam dog

Hall-of-Famer
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad you like Brees escape ability, I do too.

But he's actually been doing it all year. The guy has the feel for it. It's hard to sack Drew!

But this didn't start in the last few weeks, he's done it most if not all of the season.

And:

"I don't remember seeing another qb doing this so well on a consistent basis."

Favre comes to mind at once, maybe McNair and a couple of others.

Sorry if this comes off wrong, no offense to anyone.

ddd Edit: I spelled Favre's name wrong.

Last edited:

Paul

Professional
Reaction score
Guys, don't take this wrong way, but that dude Brees slides around the pocket with the grace of a ballet dancer. He uses very subtle moves to make dum-dums miss him, and then out comes the ball (most likely a completed pass being that he's completing almost 70%).
I can see him dropping another 300+ against SF, with Deuce throwing in 80-100, and Reggie with about 80 all purpose. I shudder to think about what the score will be. :hihi:

albionmoonlight

Can. Shall. Will.
Reaction score
Yup.

The myth is that the great pocket passers are totally immobile. If you look at Peyton Manning or Dan Marino, you see that they always took/take the couple little steps to avoid contact and give themselves another 1-2 seconds in the pocket.

If you want to see a truly immobile quarterback, take a look at some old Scott Mitchell tapes. That guy had feet nailed to the turf. Rob Johnson was another one--he had the wheels, but absolutely no instincts when it came to how to use his feet to avoid pressure.

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love him.

/12

Ted

muddlin'
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was watching one game as he was making those little steps just in the nick of time as a guy seemingly completely out of view to him is about to get him and thought, "he's somehow hidden a rear view mirror in his helmet."

mvtrucking

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Usually a step up is all it takes for the pass rush to just end up going by him. Yes, he does a terrific job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus Drew Brees Talks Taysom, Getting Back on Track vs Packers in Week 3 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints' Drew Brees pushes back on notion he's in decline: 'I feel good, borderline great' SR News Page Articles 0
The internet says Drew Brees is cooked. He says he feels 'good, borderline great' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees still confident, feels “Borderline great” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Article: Is Drew Brees done? USA Today - Really Interesting Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 57
Andrus Drew Brees following MNF defeat: 'We're not even close to what we're capable of' SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Should we be concerned about Drew Brees and the Saints? SR News Page Articles 0
Drew Brees explains momentum-swinging interception in Saints loss: 'Shouldn't have thrown it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Saints offense: “Not even close to what we’re capable of” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Drew Brees acts his age in off-target loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Billgluckman Drew brees (yeah I know) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 105
Need a reminder of Drew Brees' iconic Monday Night football history? Check out his pre-game cleats Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Empty stadiums may make the hard count more effective for veteran QBs like Drew Brees Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Saints a good bet in Las Vegas on Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interview with the Enemy: Las Vegas Raiders expect to upset Drew Brees and the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees and Tom Brady finish 1st showdown as divisional foes seeking more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
bigcarlittlewill Drew Brees licked his fingers 66 times or more last night Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Saint Kamara The pre-2017 Drew Brees has a 3 interception game on days like today Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Watch: On Drew Brees' day, Demario Davis' contract, Jenkins' pick-six, more as Saints beat Bucs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Drew Brees Postgame After Week 1 Win vs. Buccaneers | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Saints QB Drew Brees breaks Brett Favre's career passing attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees breaks career pass attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If Drew Brees retired this offseason, the Saints' plan was to pursue Tom Brady: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bucs' Tom Brady vs. Saints' Drew Brees is QB matchup for the ages Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees thought 2017 was going to be his final season. Then he started having fun again Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees and Sean Payton's 'unbelievable journey' now entering its 15th season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints Swing Vote Series Bobblehead Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Will Drew Brees go deep? And will Cam Jordan finally get his due? Top Saints storylines Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew and the offense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Where is Drew's head at? It's not all physical. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 49
Tony1Saintfan Drew’s shirt Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Saints What is Drew saying when he says "I'm not here to make air yards" Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 23
superchuck500 Nice new piece from Luke Johnson (Advocate) on Sean/Drew relationship Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Brees remains confident, feels 'borderline great' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints Why all isnt lost when it comes to Brees. Plus point spread Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Warren moon on brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Brees has been bad. Jordan, Lattimore, Peat, Rankins and M. Williams have been worse Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 49
Brees - Inaccurate Throws Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Zero chance Brees gets benched Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Brees: Job is to direct Saints, not rack up air yards Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees cleats Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
After the Brees int.. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Brees INT....Downhill from there!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
Emmanuel Sanders says Saints and Brees are unified, ready to pick up slack for Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DomePatrol2005 Yahoo article throws some shade Brees way Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 54
Barnwell: Handing out 13 QB awards for Week 1, from Brady and Brees to Burrow and Wentz Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Beignets and Café au Lait: Brees 1 - Brady 0 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees was subpar Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 43
NOLAJM504 Brees long-ball, is it low-key back? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 53